Dropped object in a rotating frame

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation of motion in a rotating frame and the different approaches to solving it. The first approach includes both the centrifugal and Coriolis forces, while the second approach neglects the centrifugal force and approximates the Coriolis force as a constant. The conversation also mentions the use of these forces in constructing a space sphere station.
etotheipi
Homework Statement
A rotating space station (at ##\omega##) has a radius R. Alice climbs up a tower of height H and drops an object from rest, in the rotating frame. Calculate the velocity and horizontal distance to the tower when it hits the floor. It is given that ##R \gg H##
Relevant Equations
N/A
I solved this in an inertial frame, but now I want to do it in the rotating frame. As far as I can tell the equation of motion is $$\vec{F}_{cent} + \vec{F}_{cor} = mr\omega^2 + 2m\vec{v} \times \vec{\omega} = m\frac{d^2\vec{r}}{dt^2}$$The solutions take a different approach. They state that the Coriolis force is $$F_{cor} (t) = 2m \omega^2 R t \omega = 2 m \omega^3 R t$$and they simply integrate this w.r.t. time. There are two things I don't understand. Why have they ignored the centrifugal force (or used it in a weird way, that I can't see), and also where did their expression for the Coriolis force come from? Thanks :smile:

Likes Adesh
Physics news on Phys.org
Seems, to me, that the problem is suggesting some things:
The rotating of the object create some artificial gravity, that will accelerate the body by -w²*(R+h) ~ -w²*R
so a = -w²*R
v = -w²*R*t
And the object was dropped in some point where the angular rotating vector is perpendicular to the velocity that will rise up, so |Fcor| = 2mwv = 2mw*w²*(R)*t = 2mw³Rt

I am just trying to construct any space sphere station with this properties, but is a little hard.

Likes etotheipi
LCSphysicist said:
Seems, to me, that the problem is suggesting some things:
The rotating of the object create some artificial gravity, that will accelerate the body by -w²*(R+h) ~ -w²*R
so a = -w²*R
v = -w²*R*t
And the object was dropped in some point where the angular rotating vector is perpendicular to the velocity that will rise up, so |Fcor| = 2mwv = 2mw*w²*(R)*t = 2mw³Rt

I am just trying to construct any space sphere station with this properties, but is a little hard.

Thanks for the reply, I think you might be right.

It looks like they're approximating the centrifugal force to be constant at ##mR\omega^2##, even though it will actually vary between ##mR\omega^2## and ##m(R-H)\omega^2## which is maybe a fair assumption if ##H \ll R##. More worryingly they also seem to be neglecting the contribution of the horizontal component of velocity to the Coriolis force, which again is perhaps a fair(ish) assumption if the horizontal displacement ##d_x## is small.

If we make these two assumptions, then we do indeed find that the Coriolis force is approximated as a constant ##2m \omega^3 Rt##.

Funnily enough this approximate method does give the same results as I got for the analysis in the inertial frame, so maybe it's not so bad after all. I might try and finish off the vector analysis too and see if it gives a similar thing :smile:

LCSphysicist said:

And also just in case I didn't specify, the platform of height ##H## is inside the space station, i.e. the object falls from the centre out towards the edge :wink:

1. What is a dropped object in a rotating frame?

A dropped object in a rotating frame refers to an object that is released or falls from a stationary position within a rotating or spinning frame of reference. This can occur in various scenarios, such as on a rotating platform or during a rotating motion of a vehicle.

2. How does the rotation of the frame affect the motion of a dropped object?

The rotation of the frame can significantly impact the motion of a dropped object. This is because the object is subject to both the downward force of gravity and the centrifugal force caused by the rotation of the frame. As a result, the object may exhibit a curved or spiraling path instead of a straight downward path.

3. What factors influence the trajectory of a dropped object in a rotating frame?

The trajectory of a dropped object in a rotating frame is influenced by several factors, including the angular velocity of the frame, the initial height and velocity of the object, and the direction of rotation of the frame. The shape and mass distribution of the object may also play a role in its trajectory.

4. How can the trajectory of a dropped object in a rotating frame be predicted?

The trajectory of a dropped object in a rotating frame can be predicted using equations and principles from rotational motion and projectile motion. By considering the forces acting on the object and its initial conditions, such as height and velocity, scientists can calculate the object's trajectory and predict its path.

5. Are there any real-world applications of studying dropped objects in rotating frames?

Yes, studying dropped objects in rotating frames has several real-world applications. For example, understanding the motion of dropped objects on a rotating platform is crucial for industries such as oil and gas, where objects may be dropped from offshore platforms. It also has implications in sports, such as the trajectory of a thrown ball on a spinning baseball field. Additionally, this concept is important in space exploration, where objects may be dropped or released from a rotating spacecraft.