Dropped out of grad school don't know what to do.

In summary, the speaker is a former grad student who dropped out to pursue physics but is now in need of a job due to financial concerns. They feel that their age and lack of experience are hindrances in finding a job, but they are exploring careers in computer science. They also have a part-time job as an online physics tutor and are interested in careers that involve the theoretical aspect of physics. They are considering reaching out to their department chair for research opportunities. They believe that anyone can be a connection and are open to networking for job opportunities.
Shinn497
First things first. I'd give anything to stay in grad school. I never have had an issue with classes and I study on my own all the time. I also still take classes through MOOCs. In fact, I actually dropped out so I could do more physics. I was working in a lab and things were just going nowhere. It just felt like a huge wast of time and I decided to stop chasing the carrot.

However, now I just can't go back to school and I need a job. Debts are creeping up and I want to start a carreer before I'm thirty. Yet now I'm in a bit of a pickle. At 28, I'm too old for internships and all of the jobs require 3-5 year experience. Also, since I sort of "vanished" from grad school, I don't really have any connections. The only way of breaking this is going into something related to computer science since I can always improve my programming skills on my own.

I feel, however, that there is something I'm not doing. I guess I see colleagues and former students work for some pretty awesome companies and I wonder what their doing. Also I look at statistic for people with technical degrees and the unemployment is very low. However, I have this black hole in my resume that I don't know how to get out of.

Also I'm wondering. Are there carreers that deal with the theoretical aspect of physics over experimental/engineering stuff? I have a part time job as an online physics tutor. Today I helped an engineering work through a problem involving some really hairy vector calculus. If I could just do that all day I'd be in heaven. I know Data Science involves linear algebra which is why I'm looking into it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Would it be possible for you to contact your department chair and let him/her know about your situation and possibly start research with another professor?

Unless they paid me to do research, it just isn't worth giving up my part time job.

If you are in the US, they usually do. At any rate, it may be worth contacting them.

Also, since I sort of "vanished" from grad school, I don't really have any connections.

If you have a connection with someone who has connections, you have connections. Anyone can be a connection.

Related to Dropped out of grad school don't know what to do.

1. What are my options if I dropped out of grad school?

There are several options for you if you have dropped out of grad school. You can consider taking a break and reassessing your goals and interests, transferring to a different program or institution, or pursuing a different career path altogether. It is important to carefully weigh your options and make a decision that aligns with your long-term goals.

2. Will dropping out of grad school affect my future career prospects?

It depends on the industry and the specific job you are interested in. Some employers may view dropping out of grad school as a negative, while others may not see it as a major issue. It is important to explain your reasons for dropping out and highlight any skills or experiences you gained during your time in grad school that may be relevant to your desired career.

3. How can I explain dropping out of grad school in future job interviews?

Be honest and transparent about your reasons for dropping out. Emphasize any valuable skills or experiences you gained during your time in grad school and explain how they can benefit the company you are applying to. It is also important to show that you have a clear plan for your future and are committed to achieving your goals.

4. Should I include my grad school experience on my resume even if I dropped out?

It depends on the amount of time you spent in grad school and the relevance of the program to your desired career. If you were in grad school for a short period of time or the program is not relevant to your career, it may be best to leave it off your resume. However, if you gained valuable skills or experiences during your time in grad school, it may be worth including on your resume.

5. Is it possible to return to grad school after dropping out?

Yes, it is possible to return to grad school after dropping out. However, it may depend on the specific program and institution. Some schools may require you to reapply and go through the admissions process again, while others may allow you to resume your studies without reapplying. It is important to reach out to the admissions office to inquire about their policies and procedures for returning students.