Dropping voltage (variable) of a sealed lead acid battery

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a sealed lead acid battery to power a 4V coil for a display. The speaker is seeking advice on what type of potentiometer or rheostat to use in the circuit. Suggestions are given for using a voltage regulator or series resistance, and measuring the resistance of the coil to determine the appropriate resistance needed. The topic of using diodes as an alternative method is also mentioned. The speaker expresses appreciation for the helpful advice and mentions the potential costs involved.
rwt
Hi,

firstly apologies for what might seem like a 'basic' question, but I've been trying to work this out for a while.

I have a sealed lead acid (SLA) battery - 6V 4AH. I would like to use this battery to power a 4V coil (for a display) - that is capable of (potentially) drawing the full 4A from the battery.

I would like to know what value potentiometer (or more likely rheostat) I need to use in the circuit. The output of the pot should be betweeen around 3V and 4V (2V - 4V would be ideal), at the full 4A.

The coil is for display, so I'd like to use a 'manual' device such as a rheostat / variable resistor, rather than a step-down transformer or voltage regulator circuit.

Thank you in advance for any hints / suggestions.

Russell.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can't realistically achieve a constant 4V in that scenario using a voltage divider (potentiometer), it would just need to be too lower impedance.

So realistically your options are :

1. Voltage regulator if you really need constant voltage.

2. Series resistance (reostat) if you want adjustable (but not load independent) voltage.

To design this you'd need to tell us more about the load.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. The load is basically an induction coil (just for demo) - throwing sparks only 2-3cms. The issue is that I have several 6V and 12V SLA's - good for the "big" coils, but some of the smaller coils only need 3V or 4V.

The constant voltage is not critical - hence the need to use something variable. And the battery is capable of delivering 4A - and these coils can easily 'consume' all of that.

The coils will only ever be run for a minute or less at any time, so the 4A would not be drawn for very long.

The rheostat sounds like the best option - but I'm just not sure what resistance and wattage I should look for (although I know it has to be a wire-wound model).

Thank you again for your reply.

The load is basically an induction coil (just for demo)

Ok well you just need to measure the resistance of the coil primary and that will give you a good idea of what resistance you need. An external resistance equal to the coil resistance will give the equivalent of about 3 volts.

BTW. A 4 AH battery doesn't mean that it can only deliver 4 Amps. For a short time it can deliver very much more than that.

A couple or three of 5 to 10 amp diodes in series with the coil would do the job nicely. At 4 amps they are likely to drop more than .7 volts perhaps as much a 1.2 volts each. This is why I say 2 or three.

You could also use diode connected power transistors from the junkbox for this.

For short periods the semiconductors won't need heatsinking.

Ball-parking with Ohms law... If your coil draws 4A at 4V it has a resistance of 1 Ohm --it's so easy with these simple round numbers-- Drawing 4A from a 6V source, you have a resistance of 1.5 Ohms. Therefore a series resistor of .5 ohms would be indicated. It will have to dump 2V*4A == 8 watts of power into thin air.

However the previous comments about the battery being able to supply _way_ more than 4A for a short period of time should be headed. Unless you have measured the coil current at the correct voltage I would proceed with caution as there may be smoke in your future.

Thanks everyone for your helpful advice. I'm going to give the diode method a go over the weekend - if I can get my hands on the diodes easily enough.

the alternative was to buy 2 x 2V SLA batteries - but at $A31 each it seems like an expensive option - especially since I've already got 6V and 12V SLA's lying around.

Having said that, a quick search for a "suitable" rheostat, shows that I'm looking at $A60+. I didn't realize they would be that expensive.

Thanks again,

russell.

1. What is the cause of a drop in voltage for a sealed lead acid battery?

The most common cause of a drop in voltage for a sealed lead acid battery is sulfation, which occurs when the battery is not fully charged and leads to the buildup of lead sulfate crystals on the plates.

2. How can I prevent a drop in voltage for my sealed lead acid battery?

To prevent a drop in voltage, it is important to regularly charge the battery and avoid over-discharging. It is also recommended to use a maintenance charger to keep the battery fully charged when not in use.

3. Can a drop in voltage be reversed for a sealed lead acid battery?

In some cases, a drop in voltage can be reversed by using a desulfator or equalizing charge to break down the lead sulfate crystals on the plates. However, severe sulfation may be irreversible and require battery replacement.

4. How can I measure the voltage of a sealed lead acid battery?

The voltage of a sealed lead acid battery can be measured using a multimeter. Place the positive (red) probe on the positive terminal and the negative (black) probe on the negative terminal. The voltage reading should be between 12.6-12.8 volts for a fully charged battery.

5. What is the recommended lifespan of a sealed lead acid battery?

The recommended lifespan of a sealed lead acid battery is typically 3-5 years, but this can vary depending on usage and maintenance. Regularly cycling and charging the battery can help prolong its lifespan.