Maintenance charging of lead-acid battery bank (8 @ 6v)

In summary, the conversation discussed the equipment and considerations needed for maintenance charging a battery bank used for solar storage. The bank consists of 8, 6v deep cycle lead-acid batteries and the solar system is for a seasonal application. The plan is to bring the batteries indoors and use a 3-stage smart charger. It was recommended to use a charger with the same voltage but perfect matching is not required. It was also suggested to look into an automatic watering system to prevent damage. The conversation also mentioned the importance of using a 3-stage smart controller and setting it to match the battery type. The website batteryuniversity.com was recommended as a source for battery advice.
Elquery
TL;DR Summary
What equipment and considerations do I need for maintenance charging a battery bank used as solar storage. 8, 6v deep cycle lead-acid batteries.
Hi.

Could anyone guide me as to what equipment and considerations I need for maintenance charging a battery bank used as solar storage. The bank consists of 8, 6v deep cycle lead-acid batteries (Rolls batteries: S6- GC2-HC)

The solar system is for a seasonal application and the shed they typically live in is unheated and the solar supply becomes unreliable.
The plan is to bring them indoors (ventilation concerns?) and use some sort of 'trickle' or 'float' charger.

Is there a way to do it for the entire bank. Are there balancing concerns?
The bank is utilized as two parallel strands (so 4 6v batteries in series: parallel with the other 4 in series)

Thanks for any insights.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The main thing is to get a good 3-stage smart charge controller. Sometimes those are combined with MPPT solar panel controllers.

Lead acid batteries are often connected in parallel and charged as a bank. They should be the same brand and the same age, but perfect matching is not required.

You may also look at an automatic watering system. Even one cell running low on water ruins everything.

batteryuniversity.com is a good source for battery advice for all types of batteries.

Thanks anorlunda.

I'm looking into it more.
Am I understanding correctly that if I wanted to charge all 8 6V batteries on the same smart charger, I could use one 24V charger by running 2 parallel strings of 4 batteries in series. Are there concerns with the AH ratings of charger/batteries or is voltage all that really matters in this case?

For what it's worth, the batteries, when in use as solar storage, are hooked up exactly as that (2 parallel strings of 4 batteries in series). I was thinking retaining this set-up for the maintenance charge would make sense.

Chargers are rated by amps, not amp hours.

If you put an undersized charger on, it will just take longer to charge, but not damage anything.

3-stage smart controllers are the important distinction. Be sure to set the controller to match your lead acid battery type --- flooded/gel cell/AGM.

Did you check batteryuniversity.com? They are the authorative source.

1. How often should I perform maintenance charging on my lead-acid battery bank?

Maintenance charging should be done once every 3-6 months, or whenever the battery bank shows signs of decreased performance.

2. How long should I leave my battery bank on maintenance charge?

The length of time for maintenance charging will depend on the size and condition of your battery bank. Generally, it is recommended to leave the battery bank on maintenance charge for 24-48 hours.

3. Can I use my battery bank while it is on maintenance charge?

No, it is not recommended to use the battery bank while it is on maintenance charge. The charging process may cause a build-up of gas, which can be dangerous if the battery is in use.

4. What is the purpose of maintenance charging?

Maintenance charging helps to prevent sulfation, a build-up of lead sulfate crystals on the battery plates that can decrease the battery's performance and lifespan. It also helps to equalize the charge among all the batteries in the bank.

5. How do I know when my battery bank needs maintenance charging?

You can perform a voltage test on each battery in the bank. If any battery has a significantly lower voltage than the others, it may need maintenance charging. You can also look for signs of decreased performance, such as difficulty starting equipment or shorter run times.