DSP - IIR filter, anlog to digital

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of IIR filters and specifically looks at the poles of an analog filter and a digital filter. The question asks whether the digital filter is a high-pass filter, and the conversation concludes that it is, based on the locations of the poles in the complex plane.
Hmemo
hi,
I'm studying for a test, and found this question in one of the previous exams but there is no solution and I was not able to solve it myself.
It would be very helpful if anybody could help =]

Homework Statement

h(t) is an analog IIR filter, with the poles λ_1 = -1, λ_2 = -1+i, λ_3 = -1-i and no zeros. let h[n] be a digital IIR filter with poles which defined by e^λ_i and no zeros. is h[n] a high pass filter?

Homework Equations

--

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought about using some transformation or something like that
but i got stuck, and was unable to prove/disprove.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! I'm happy to help with your question. First, let's define some terms to make sure we're on the same page.

An IIR filter, or infinite impulse response filter, is a type of filter commonly used in signal processing. The "infinite impulse response" refers to the fact that the filter's output depends on both past and present inputs, unlike a finite impulse response (FIR) filter which only depends on past inputs.

A pole is a point in the complex plane where the transfer function of a filter is undefined, meaning the output goes to infinity. In this case, the poles are defined as λ_1 = -1, λ_2 = -1+i, and λ_3 = -1-i.

The digital IIR filter, h[n], is defined by e^λ_i, which is a complex exponential function. This means that the poles of h[n] will also be complex numbers.

Now, to answer your question, whether or not h[n] is a high-pass filter depends on the values of the poles. A high-pass filter is a type of filter that allows high frequency signals to pass through while attenuating low frequency signals.

In order for h[n] to be a high-pass filter, the poles must be located in the left half of the complex plane, meaning they have a negative real part. This is because complex exponential functions decay as the real part of the exponent decreases.

From the given poles λ_1 = -1, λ_2 = -1+i, and λ_3 = -1-i, we can see that they are all located in the left half of the complex plane, with a negative real part of -1. This means that h[n] is indeed a high-pass filter.

I hope this helps with your test preparation! Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck on your exam!

Related to DSP - IIR filter, anlog to digital

1. What is an IIR filter in DSP?

An IIR (Infinite Impulse Response) filter is a type of digital filter used in DSP (Digital Signal Processing) that uses previous output values as well as current and past input values to calculate the current output. This creates a feedback loop, making the filter sensitive to changes in both input and output values.

2. How does an IIR filter differ from an FIR filter?

An FIR (Finite Impulse Response) filter uses only current and past input values to calculate the current output, making it a non-recursive filter. This means that there is no feedback loop, and the output depends only on the current and past inputs. In contrast, an IIR filter is a recursive filter, meaning that the output depends on both current and past inputs as well as past outputs.

3. What are the advantages of using an IIR filter?

IIR filters are often preferred over FIR filters because they require fewer parameters to achieve a desired frequency response. This means that IIR filters can be computationally more efficient and have a smaller memory footprint compared to FIR filters, making them well-suited for real-time processing applications.

4. What is the process of converting an analog filter to a digital IIR filter?

The process of converting an analog filter to a digital IIR filter involves discretizing the analog filter using methods such as the bilinear transform or impulse invariance. This converts the continuous-time analog filter into a discrete-time digital filter, allowing it to be implemented in a digital system using techniques such as difference equations or the z-transform.

5. How can I design an IIR filter for a specific application?

There are various methods for designing an IIR filter for a specific application, including the Butterworth, Chebyshev, and Elliptic filter design techniques. These methods involve specifying the desired frequency response and filter characteristics, such as passband ripple and stopband attenuation, and using algorithms to determine the filter coefficients. There are also software tools available for designing and simulating IIR filters for specific applications.