Problem understanding a parameter in a digital filter

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the digital causal recursive filter in a digital signal processing system with a sampling frequency of 1200Hz. The equation includes a parameter r as 0.9 and theta, which is responsible for filtering out spectral components at f=200Hz. The task involves finding H(z) and graphing the poles and zeros of the filter. There is confusion about determining theta and how the fact that it filters out 200Hz affects the process. There is also uncertainty about plotting the poles and zeros after determining them.
diredragon

Homework Statement

Digital causal recursive filter is a part of a digital signal processing system which has sampling frequency ##fs = 1200Hz## and is given by a differece equation:
Capture.JPG

where ##r = 0.9## and ##θ## is such that it filters out the spectral components at ##f = 200Hz##
Find ##H(z)## and graph the poles and zeros of this filter.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
I'm having trouble figuring out how to determine the ##θ## in this equation. I did find the ##H(z)## in function of ##cos(\theta)## but still made no progress on determining it. How does the fact that it filters out ##200Hz## help me in this case? Is it something with the location of the zero or a pole on the plane?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    3.5 KB · Views: 541
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm also having trouble graphing the poles and zeroes. I know that ##H(z) = \frac{b_0 + b_1z^{-1} + b_2z^{-2}}{a_0 + a_1z^{-1} + a_2z^{-2}}## but I don't understand how to plot it's poles and zeroes after I determined them.

1. What is a digital filter?

A digital filter is a mathematical algorithm used to process digital signals in order to remove unwanted frequencies or enhance desired frequencies. It is commonly used in signal processing, image processing, and audio applications.

2. How does a digital filter work?

A digital filter works by taking an input signal and applying a mathematical operation to it, based on a set of coefficients. These coefficients determine the characteristics of the filter, such as its cutoff frequency and its response to different frequencies. The filtered output signal is then generated based on the input signal and the coefficients.

3. What is a parameter in a digital filter?

A parameter in a digital filter is a variable that affects the behavior of the filter. This can include coefficients, cutoff frequencies, and other settings that can be adjusted to change the characteristics of the filter.

4. Why is it important to understand the parameters in a digital filter?

Understanding the parameters in a digital filter is important because it allows for customization and optimization of the filter's performance. By understanding how each parameter affects the filter, it is possible to adjust them to achieve the desired filtering results.

5. How can I troubleshoot problems with a parameter in a digital filter?

If you are experiencing issues with a parameter in a digital filter, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot the problem. First, check that the parameter is set to the correct value. Then, try adjusting the parameter to see if it improves the filter's performance. You can also consult the filter's documentation or seek help from other experts in the field.