Dual Degree - Computer Science & Biomedical Engineering?

In summary, Tommy is currently pursuing a BS in Computer Science and is interested in pursuing a degree in Biomedical Engineering after completing his current degree. He is wondering if having both degrees would be beneficial for his ideal job in Research and Development, and is seeking advice on whether to double major or transfer to a school that offers both degrees. He is also considering the option of focusing on one degree and obtaining a masters instead.
gravity226
Hey everyone,
I am currently pursuing a BS in Computer Science and am about half way through. I am really enjoying the program and want to finish it. I have also taken an interest in Biomedical Engineering and was considering starting on a BS in this area after I finished my degree in Computer Science.
I was wondering if anyone knew if it would be beneficial at all for me to have a Degree in Computer Science and Biomedical Engineering? My ideal job would be to work in the field Research and Development somehow.
Any comments are appreciated.
Thanks,
Tommy

Physics news on Phys.org
Not really sure why you'd want to get two Bachelor's degrees. Just double major or something.

The school I'm going to now doesn't offer the Biomedical degree. I suppose I could transfer to one of the other schools I'm looking at though. Really my question is how much of a benefit would there be to having a degree in Computer Science and Biomedical Engineering? Like would I be more marketable in a certain field of Biomedical Engineering or should I just focus on one and possibly go for a masters instead?
Thanks,
Tommy

Related to Dual Degree - Computer Science & Biomedical Engineering?

1. What is a dual degree in Computer Science & Biomedical Engineering?

A dual degree in Computer Science & Biomedical Engineering is an academic program that allows students to simultaneously pursue two degrees in both computer science and biomedical engineering. This provides students with a unique blend of skills and knowledge in both fields, preparing them for careers at the intersection of technology and healthcare.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a dual degree in Computer Science & Biomedical Engineering?

There are several benefits to pursuing a dual degree in Computer Science & Biomedical Engineering. Firstly, it allows students to develop a diverse skill set that is highly sought after in industries such as healthcare technology and medical device development. Additionally, it provides students with a competitive edge in the job market and opens up a wider range of career opportunities.

3. How long does it take to complete a dual degree in Computer Science & Biomedical Engineering?

The length of a dual degree program can vary depending on the specific requirements of each program and the pace at which a student completes their coursework. However, on average, a dual degree in Computer Science & Biomedical Engineering can take anywhere from 4 to 5 years to complete.

4. Is a dual degree in Computer Science & Biomedical Engineering a challenging program?

Yes, a dual degree in Computer Science & Biomedical Engineering can be challenging as it combines coursework from two different disciplines. Students will need to have a strong foundation in math, science, and computer programming to succeed in this program. However, with dedication and hard work, it is a highly rewarding and fulfilling academic path.

5. What type of career opportunities are available for graduates with a dual degree in Computer Science & Biomedical Engineering?

Graduates with a dual degree in Computer Science & Biomedical Engineering have a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as healthcare, pharmaceuticals, medical device development, and research. They can work as software engineers, biomedical engineers, data scientists, medical device designers, and more.