Which engineering path should I follow?

In summary, the individual found PF through Google. They are undecided about what engineering path to pursue and are considering biomedical, electrical, and civil engineering. They are also considering joining the military or national guards. They have read about biomedical engineering, EE, and civil engineering and are interested in learning more about them. They have not done any 3-D printing or metal or wood shop projects in high school and are unsure if they will in college. Their calculus classes went okay and they enjoyed Differential Equations class. They are not completely satisfied with the major but are still undecided.
eataei
How did you find PF?: Google

Hi,
I am very undecided and confused about what engineering path(I don't know if I should say path or field) I should follow, so I am here to get some information about each engineering path. At first, I was interested in biomedical engineering, but then I changed my mind to major in electrical just because my school was not offering biomedical. Now that I decided to transfer to another college, which is a huge college with all of the engineering majors I don't know what exactly I want to do. I don't know what is the best fit for me. FYI I just finished my freshman year, so yeah I am pretty new to this whole STEM world. One thing for sure is that I am not interested in civil or biochemistry engineering although biochemistry is kind of close to biomedical(class curriculum).

I am also thinking about losing some fat and joining military or at least national guards, so I was considering STEM majors that would get me a good job in the military. However, as I said I am still at figuring out stage, which means I might not join the military at all.
Well, here was a summary of why I visited this Web tonight.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and :welcome: !

These are difficult questions. If you are not sure what you are really interested in, you might better take some time to figure it out. Latest during your studies some fields should come up which interests you most.

Likes eataei
Yeah, so I decided to just take 3 classes, which is just 13 credits in the coming fall to have more time to think.

eataei said:
Now that I decided to transfer to another college, which is a huge college with all of the engineering majors I don't know what exactly I want to do.
So it sounds like EE, ME and Biomedical are on the table? What kind of reading have you been doing about these fields? Do you know anybody who works in those fields that you can talk to about their work?

On the ME front, have you done any 3-D printing of projects? Do you like working with your hands on vehicles and mechanical projects? Have you taken metal shop or wood shop in high school?

On the EE front, have you done any personal projects with Arduino or other microcontroller (uC) boards? Do you have any friends who are HAM radio operators that you can talk with? How did your calculus classes go so far in freshman year? Did the Differential Equations class go okay?

On the Biomed front, do you have an interest in biology/physiology and the medical field? You might do some reading about the various medical imaging technologies (X-ray, CAT scan, MRI scan, PET imaging, etc.). There are some pretty amazing capabilities in imaging technologies nowadays.

:smile:

It might be okay for your to be lost during the first two years. Most of the classes are very fundamental physics and mathematics, and so if you changed your mind later I don't think you'll be too far behind.

I changed my major a few times too. I was going to be a mechanical engineer and I changed my mind at the very last second taking a risk on electrical engineering. I didn't do too well in my electromagnetics classes so it wasn't something that I felt like I'd be better at; it was something I wanted to learn more about and improve on, and so you don't necessarily have to pick something you're great at. My GPA was not too great, but I had very little difficulty with work afterwards.

The university I want to it's very popular for bioengineering. I admit I don't know too much about it, but what I did notice is for majors like mine students would be like "I didn't get into Berkeley or UCLA and so I came here" sort of deal, but it was different for bioengineering friends who went elsewhere they were like "Damn, I didn't get into XYZ (arbitrarily fake name the university I was attending)". Students at the university I was attending, though, they definitely had the passion as I saw them in the Engineers for World Health organization. The only dissatisfaction I heard from some of the students is the major is a bit scattered learn a little of everything of other majors and combine it, but maybe it's perfect for scattered people ;) I never took any of their classes so I don't know how it all converges, but they all seem well off from what I can on my social media.

1. What are the different engineering paths available?

There are several engineering paths to choose from, including mechanical, electrical, civil, chemical, and computer engineering. Each path focuses on a specific area of study and application.

2. How do I determine which engineering path is right for me?

To determine the right engineering path for you, consider your interests, strengths, and career goals. You can also speak with professionals in various engineering fields and research the job prospects and salary potential for each path.

3. What are the key differences between the various engineering paths?

The key differences between engineering paths lie in their focus and application. Mechanical engineering deals with the design and production of machines and tools, while electrical engineering focuses on the study and application of electricity. Civil engineering deals with the design and construction of infrastructure, and chemical engineering involves the production and use of chemicals. Computer engineering involves the development and design of computer systems and software.

4. Can I switch engineering paths after I have already started my studies?

It is possible to switch engineering paths after starting your studies, but it may require taking additional courses and extending your graduation timeline. It is important to carefully consider your decision and speak with an academic advisor before making a switch.

5. Are there any engineering paths that have better job prospects or higher salaries?

The job prospects and salaries for each engineering path can vary depending on the current job market and demand for specific skills. However, in general, computer engineering and electrical engineering tend to have high job prospects and salaries, while civil engineering and chemical engineering may have more limited job opportunities.