Dual Major Undergraduate program vs. Extra year

In summary: A dual major in mechatronics and biomedical engineering would likely be more relevant and impressive to them.In summary, it seems that the speaker has not finished all their coursework for their 3-year BS.c program due to personal circumstances. They plan on finishing the remaining credits and taking courses in biochemistry at another university. However, they are considering adding more courses to their current program in order to obtain a dual major in mechatronics and biomedical engineering. The speaker is unsure if graduate schools prefer a dual major or a degree specific to their desired field.
Jarfi
Hello. So due to some life circumstances i was not able to finish all my coursework of my 3-year BS.c program last year.

Thus i have about 24 credits I will take next year. My plan was to finish those courses, and then along that take courses in another university, in biochem on the side. That would amount to about 1. year biochem.

My alternative is to buff up my current program and add on more courses, so that I will be able to finish two different engineering undergraduate programs, i.e a dual major. This would be mechatronics+biomedical eng.

Now biochem is very related to what i want to do, but i feel a couple of the courses won't very much help me. Such as "microbiology" and "evolutionary" bio. Biochem, physical chemistry, molecular biology are all very important to me though.

Do graduate schools like students that have finished a dual major Undergraduate degree? Or does it not really matter. Will grad schools look at my 1 year in biochem and think that i have lack of direction or will they see it as quality/good experience?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not an expert in biochemistry, but if you want to go to graduate school for biochemistry, I suspect most graduate schools will look for you to have a degree in biochemistry.

A dual major won't matter to an admissions committee if neither of the majors qualify you to study in their field.

If you want to go to graduate school for biomedical engineering, the admissions committee will be more interested in your engineering coursework.

1. What is a dual major undergraduate program?

A dual major undergraduate program is a degree program in which a student chooses to pursue two different majors simultaneously. This means that they will complete all the requirements for both majors and receive two separate degrees upon graduation.

2. How does a dual major undergraduate program differ from a traditional single major program?

In a traditional single major program, students focus on one specific subject and complete all the required courses for that major. In a dual major undergraduate program, students split their focus between two majors and complete a combination of courses for each major.

3. What are the benefits of a dual major undergraduate program?

A dual major undergraduate program allows students to gain a deeper understanding and knowledge in two different fields of study, making them more well-rounded and marketable to potential employers. It also allows students to explore different interests and career paths.

4. Is it possible to complete a dual major undergraduate program in the same amount of time as a traditional single major program?

Yes, it is possible to complete a dual major undergraduate program in the same amount of time as a traditional single major program. However, it may require careful planning and a heavier course load each semester. Some students may choose to take an extra year to complete a dual major program in order to lessen their workload and fully immerse themselves in both majors.

5. What is the difference between a dual major undergraduate program and pursuing two majors separately?

Pursuing two majors separately means completing the requirements for each major separately and receiving two separate degrees. In a dual major undergraduate program, the two majors are combined and students receive one degree with both majors listed. Additionally, pursuing two majors separately may take longer to complete than a dual major program.