Dumbing down of science for the general population

In summary: But she said "Let's keep the complete discussion of the uncertainties in the paper".In summary, this woman said that they would keep all the uncertainties in the paper, but they ended up just including the uncertainties in the paper.
HankDorsett
Gold Member
I've only recently started my journey into physics. While on this journey I realized quite a bit of the dumb down scientific information given to the public may not have been completely accurate or presented in a way that resulted in an inaccurate understanding. Lately I've been spending most of my time trying to figure out what beliefs I've built up over the years are wrong.

I have a question for those that possesses a high level of scientific knowledge. Have you seen information for the public that was incorrect or presented in a way the general public would easily misunderstand it?

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
There are endless examples.

One that comes to mind is the notion of Quantum Computing "supremacy". There really isn't any "supremacy" involved.

All it means is the point where a quantum computer is able to make a computation that cannot be done by a conventional computer. It doesn't mean that they will be able to do all computations better. A century from now, if I could only have either a classical computer or a quantum computer, but not both, I would choose the classical computer. It's the one that would give me web-access, let me do my taxes, provide office functions like word processing, etc. And it would also provide me with a front-end (user interface, project data storage, etc.) to a quantum computer - should I ever get one of those.

Last edited:
Likes fresh_42
In the engineering realm, the "equal transit time" fallacy of airfoil lift is something of a favorite around here. I'm taking flying lessons as a hobby and my instructor invoked it when giving a lesson on how airplanes work.

I'm sure scientists have a bunch, but a common one is the name "big bang" evoking an explosion.

There are also obsolete theories that remain common, but I'm not sure that's really the same issue.

Likes Klystron and jim mcnamara
HankDorsett said:
I have a question for those that possesses a high level of scientific knowledge. Have you seen information for the public that was incorrect or presented in a way the general public would easily misunderstand it?
It would be harder to list the others.

You have to make many, I mean really many compromises in order to explain a subject to a normal audience, which actually takes you years of study! I recently saw a tv show in which a physicist explained W- and Z-bosons in a quarter of an hour. You bet he used many simplifications and comparisons which wouldn't pass a stress test.

Another example is something as trivial as Aspirin. I have met an internist who said: "I would not take the least of it!" A small percentage of people have an idea of what he meant: "Aspirin attacks the stomach." However, even this is a really big simplification. Aspirin does nothing like that. What it does is to change the biochemical processes in the stomach and as a consequence the natural acid damages the gastric mucosa. A bad location for a hole.

The list could be endlessly extended. Kaku is entertaining and there is nothing wrong with it. However, it is just this: entertainment! You must not think that you learned something.

Likes Klystron and BillTre
fresh_42 said:
Kaku is entertaining and there is nothing wrong with it. However, it is just this: entertainment! You must not think that you learned something.
It would be hoped that cases like this would provoke people to look more into the subjects that tweak their interest, but I'm guessing that is not usually the case.
I like it when podcasts have links for more info on the subject at the end for those who are interested.

BillTre said:
It would be hoped that cases like this would provoke people to look more into the subjects that tweak their interest, but I'm guessing that is not usually the case.
I like it when podcasts have links for more info on the subject at the end for those who are interested.

This is one of my pet peeves- 'general interest' science news stories often start with a sentence like 'a recent study showed...', yet very rarely is a link or citation for the published study ever presented. That's true even for respectable science journalism, and it's unfortunate.

Likes Asymptotic and BillTre
Some of the worst offenders remove a science term from proper context then create misleading pseudo-science that almost seems correct. Uncertainty comes to mind along with error measurement.

The pseud reinterprets uncertainty to mean that nothing is certain, nothing can be known from science with certainty therefor science is just someone's opinion and the pseud's opinion is as good as anybody's. Rigorous measurements include error estimates thereby proving this misrepresentation / misunderstanding. If measurements include error than nothing can be verified with certainty. Almost makes sense to a layperson.

Likes Asymptotic and BillTre
I was at a collaboration meeting where the spokesperson meant to say "Let's keep the complete discussion of the uncertainties in the paper". However, what he actually said was "Let's keep all the errors in the paper.".

:doh:

• Wow
  • Haha
Likes Astronuc and Klystron

1. What is the "dumbing down" of science?

The "dumbing down" of science refers to the process of simplifying scientific concepts and language in order to make them more accessible to the general population. This can involve using simpler terminology, avoiding complex equations or jargon, and using relatable examples to explain scientific ideas.

2. Why is there a need to "dumb down" science for the general population?

Science can often be complex and difficult for non-scientists to understand. By simplifying scientific concepts and language, it allows for a wider audience to engage with and understand important scientific topics. This can also help to increase public interest and support for scientific research.

3. Is "dumbing down" science a negative thing?

There is some debate about whether "dumbing down" science is a negative thing. On one hand, it can help to increase public understanding and interest in science. However, it can also oversimplify or misrepresent complex scientific ideas, leading to misunderstandings or misconceptions. It is important for scientists to strike a balance between accessibility and accuracy when communicating with the general population.

4. How does the media contribute to the "dumbing down" of science?

The media plays a significant role in how science is presented to the general public. In order to make scientific news more appealing and understandable to a wider audience, the media often simplifies and sensationalizes scientific information. This can lead to oversimplification or distortion of scientific facts, contributing to the "dumbing down" of science.

5. What can be done to combat the "dumbing down" of science?

One way to combat the "dumbing down" of science is for scientists to engage in effective science communication. This involves using clear and accurate language, avoiding jargon, and providing relatable examples to explain complex concepts. It is also important for the media to prioritize accuracy in their reporting of scientific news and for the public to actively seek out reliable sources of scientific information.