Dynamic Resistance: Answers to Questions

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of dynamic resistance in semiconductors. It is defined as the internal resistance that is not constant and changes with temperature and light. Different types of semiconductors, both doped and pure, exhibit this resistance due to collisions between electrons and atoms in the material. The conversation also mentions the difference between static and dynamic resistance, with dynamic resistance being defined using the tangent at a certain operating point and always being a small-signal resistance. However, both static and dynamic resistances are essentially the same thing - electrons colliding with the semiconductor material and slowing down. The conversation also touches on the internal resistance caused by the pn junction in diodes.
Grim Arrow
I'm studying semiconductors and i might need a little help with some questions:

First the dynamic resistance is the internal resistance of the diodes , but it's called dynamic because it isn't constant, right?

Does all semiconductors, pure and doped, have internal/dynamic resistance? The reason i claim this is because diodes and transistors have such a resistance and they are made of doped semiconductors. But some pure semiconductor devices like the photoresistor also have a resistance that changes with temperature or light.

Is that internal resistance caused by the collision of the flowing electrons with the atoms of the semiconductive materials just like in ordinary resistors? If so, this explains why temperature and light can decreace it.

In diodes and especialy the zener diodes is the internal resistance caused by the flowing electrons colliding with the semiconductor atoms, or by the depletion layer, or both?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
For each device with a non-linear voltage-current chracteristic we can define two resistances:
* The static resistance R is simply the DC voltage-to-current ratio at a certain operating point, and
* the dynamic resistance depends on the slope of this voltage-to-current curve and is defined as r=d(V)/d(I).
Hence, the dynamic resiatnce is defined using the tangent at the corresponding operating point. This dynamic resistance is always a small-signal resistance only.
* Example: The exponential I=f(V) curve for a pn diode always has a static resistance R that is larger than the dynamic resistance r (R>r).

Last edited:
LvW said:
For each device with a non-linear voltage-current chracteristic we can define two resistances:
* The static resistance R is simply the DC voltage-to-current ratio at a certain operating point, and
* the dynamic resistance depends on the slope of this voltage-to-current curve and is defined as r=d(V)/d(I).
Hence, the dynamic resiatnce is defined using the tangent at the corresponding operating point. This dynamic resistance is always a small-signal resistance only.
* Example: The exponential I=f(V) curve for a pn diode always has a static resistance R that is larger than the dynamic resistance r (R>r).
But both static and dynamic resistances are physicaly the same thing - the electrons trying to make their way through the semiconductor material, colliding with it's atoms and slowing down. Right? That's the internal resistance. And in diode there is this resistance and the resistance which the pn junction causes to the current flow( the usualy 0,7 volts that you need to apply to it in order to turn it on). Is that right?

Of course, both static and dynamic resistances are "internal" resistances.

Quote: it's called dynamic because it isn't constant, right?

No - that`s not correct. As I have mentioned - for a non-linear V-I characteristic both (static and dynamic) are not constant.
The dynamic resistance r applies to (small) signal changes only !

What is dynamic resistance?

Dynamic resistance is a measure of how much a material resists changes in its electrical current when subjected to an alternating current (AC) voltage. It is different from static resistance, which is the measure of a material's resistance when subjected to a direct current (DC) voltage.

How is dynamic resistance measured?

Dynamic resistance is typically measured using an instrument called an impedance analyzer. This instrument applies an AC voltage to a material and measures the resulting current. The ratio of the voltage to the current is the dynamic resistance.

What factors affect dynamic resistance?

The factors that affect dynamic resistance include the type of material, its temperature, and the frequency of the applied AC voltage. Materials with higher electrical conductivity typically have lower dynamic resistance, while temperature and frequency can cause changes in the material's resistance.

What are some practical applications of dynamic resistance?

Dynamic resistance is an important concept in the design and operation of electrical circuits. It is used to analyze and optimize the performance of electronic components, such as transistors and diodes. It is also important in the design of power systems and transmission lines, as well as in the development of sensors and other electronic devices.

How is dynamic resistance related to reactance?

Dynamic resistance and reactance are both components of impedance, which is the total opposition to the flow of an AC current. Dynamic resistance is the part of impedance that is related to the non-reactive (resistive) elements of the circuit, while reactance is related to the reactive elements (inductive or capacitive). Together, they make up the total impedance of a material or circuit.