Dynamics problem about two-dimensional tug-of-war

In summary, the conversation discusses a two-dimensional tug-of-war scenario where Alex, Betty, and Charles are pulling on an automobile tire at different angles. The tire remains stationary despite the three pulls, with Alex pulling with a force of 220 N and Charles pulling with a force of 170 N. The direction of Charles' force is not given, and the question asks for the magnitude of Betty's force. The conversation includes calculations using trigonometry and the equation F=ma, with the final result being Betty's force having a magnitude of 240.7 N. The use of Lami's theorem is also suggested as an alternative method for solving the problem.
Bunny-chan

Homework Statement

In a two-dimensional tug-of-war, Alex, Betty, and Charles pull horizontally on an automobile tire at the angles shown in the picture. The tire remains stationary in spite of the three pulls. Alex pulls with force [itex]\vec{F_A}[/itex] of magnitude [itex]220~N[/itex], and Charles pulls with force [itex]\vec{F_C}[/itex] of magnitude [itex]170~N[/itex]. Note that the direction of [itex]\vec{F_C}[/itex] is not given. What is the magnitude of Betty's [itex]\vec{F_B}[/itex] force?

Homework Equations

[itex]F = ma[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

334da32a-a449-48c7-a35b-49dd73829d4e.gif

What I did was the following:

For Alex's angle, I did: [itex]137 - 90 = 47 \\ 180 - 47 = 133[/itex]
So Alex angle is [itex]\theta = 133^\circ[/itex] from the positive x-axis.

For x components, we have:[tex]F_{Bx} + F_{Ax} + F_{Cx} = 0 \\ \Rightarrow F_B\cos -90 + 220\cos 133 + 170\cos \theta = 0 \\ \Rightarrow 0 - 150 + 170\cos \theta = 0 \Rightarrow -150 = -170\cos \theta \Rightarrow \cos \theta = \frac{150}{170} = 0.88235 \\ \Rightarrow \cos^{-1} 0.88235 = 28.0^\circ[/tex]And for y:[tex]F_{By} + F_{Ay} + F_{Cy} = 0 \\ \Rightarrow F_B\sin -90 + 220\sin 133 + 170 \sin 28 = 0 \Rightarrow -F_B + 160.9 + 79.8 = 0 \Rightarrow -F_B = -240.7 \\ \Rightarrow F_B = 240.7~N[/tex]And this is my result. I'm posting this here because I feel like I did everything right, but my textbook doesn't have answers, and when I searched through the web, I came across some different answers and ways of solving it, and now I don't know if I'm missing something. So, is there any mistake on my answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your work and results look fine.

gneill said:
Really? OK. Thank you!

gneill said:
One question though... Shouldn't [itex]F_B + F_A + F_C[/itex] be equal to [itex]0[/itex]? If [itex]F_B = 240.7~N[/itex], that couldn't happen.

Bunny-chan said:
One question though... Shouldn't [itex]F_B + F_A + F_C[/itex] be equal to [itex]0[/itex]? If [itex]F_B = 240.7~N[/itex], that couldn't happen.
They are vectors so you need to add them as vectors. If you do so you should find that the sum has a magnitude of zero.

Bunny-chan said:

Homework Statement

In a two-dimensional tug-of-war, Alex, Betty, and Charles pull horizontally on an automobile tire at the angles shown in the picture. The tire remains stationary in spite of the three pulls. Alex pulls with force [itex]\vec{F_A}[/itex] of magnitude [itex]220~N[/itex], and Charles pulls with force [itex]\vec{F_C}[/itex] of magnitude [itex]170~N[/itex]. Note that the direction of [itex]\vec{F_C}[/itex] is not given. What is the magnitude of Betty's [itex]\vec{F_B}[/itex] force?

Homework Equations

[itex]F = ma[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

View attachment 199302

What I did was the following:

For Alex's angle, I did: [itex]137 - 90 = 47 \\ 180 - 47 = 133[/itex]
So Alex angle is [itex]\theta = 133^\circ[/itex] from the positive x-axis.

For x components, we have:[tex]F_{Bx} + F_{Ax} + F_{Cx} = 0 \\ \Rightarrow F_B\cos -90 + 220\cos 133 + 170\cos \theta = 0 \\ \Rightarrow 0 - 150 + 170\cos \theta = 0 \Rightarrow -150 = -170\cos \theta \Rightarrow \cos \theta = \frac{150}{170} = 0.88235 \\ \Rightarrow \cos^{-1} 0.88235 = 28.0^\circ[/tex]And for y:[tex]F_{By} + F_{Ay} + F_{Cy} = 0 \\ \Rightarrow F_B\sin -90 + 220\sin 133 + 170 \sin 28 = 0 \Rightarrow -F_B + 160.9 + 79.8 = 0 \Rightarrow -F_B = -240.7 \\ \Rightarrow F_B = 240.7~N[/tex]And this is my result. I'm posting this here because I feel like I did everything right, but my textbook doesn't have answers, and when I searched through the web, I came across some different answers and ways of solving it, and now I don't know if I'm missing something. So, is there any mistake on my answer?
I am not solving but you may use lami's theorem to get easy and faster results.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lami's_theorem

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the concept of "two-dimensional tug-of-war" in dynamics?

The concept of two-dimensional tug-of-war in dynamics refers to a scenario where two forces are applied to an object in opposite directions along two different axes. This results in the object experiencing a net force and a change in its velocity.

2. How do you calculate the net force in a two-dimensional tug-of-war situation?

To calculate the net force in a two-dimensional tug-of-war situation, you would use vector addition. This involves breaking down the forces into their horizontal and vertical components and then adding them together using the Pythagorean theorem.

3. What factors affect the outcome of a two-dimensional tug-of-war?

The outcome of a two-dimensional tug-of-war is affected by several factors, including the magnitude and direction of the forces applied, the mass of the object, and the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface it is on.

4. How does the angle of the forces impact the motion of the object in a two-dimensional tug-of-war?

The angle of the forces has a significant impact on the motion of the object in a two-dimensional tug-of-war. If the forces are applied at equal angles, the object will move in a straight line. However, if one force is applied at a greater angle than the other, the object will experience a curved path.

5. Can you use the principles of two-dimensional tug-of-war in real-life scenarios?

Yes, the principles of two-dimensional tug-of-war are applicable in various real-life scenarios, such as analyzing the motion of objects in sports, understanding the forces acting on a moving car, or predicting the flight of a projectile. These principles are also essential in engineering and designing structures that can withstand forces from multiple directions.