Solving for Betty's Force in a 2-D Tug of War

• Thread starter wbetting
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves a two-dimensional tug-of-war with Alex, Betty, and Charles pulling horizontally on an automobile tire. The tire remains stationary despite the three pulls, with Alex pulling with a force of 211 N and Charles pulling with a force of 181 N. Part (a) of the problem asks for the magnitude of Betty's force if Charles pulls in the direction shown in the picture. Using the equation Fb= -fa-Fc and finding the angle of fa to be 138 degrees, we can solve for the magnitude of Betty's force to be approximately 321.60 N. Part (b) asks for the other possible direction for equilibrium, where we must find an angle theta that yields the same cosine value
wbetting

Homework Statement

in a two-dimensional tug-of-war, Alex, Betty, and Charles pull horizontally on an automobile tire at the angles shown in the picture. The tire remains stationary in spite of the three pulls. Alex pulls with force of magnitude 211 N, and Charles pulls with force of magnitude 181 N. Note that the direction of is not given. What is the magnitude of Betty's force if Charles pulls in (a) the direction drawn in the picture or (b) the other possible direction for equilibrium?

** I got part a correct but i just do not understand what part b is looking

Homework Equations

for part a i used Fb= -fa-Fc
found angle of fa = 180-42= 138
fby=-fay-fcy
fbsin(-90)=-fasin138-fcsintheta
then did same thing with x components to get angle theta= 29.97 then plugged that angle into formula -fb=-(211N0(sin138)-181N(sin 29.97)
= 321.60 N

I understand that but how do i do the other possible direction? The question does not even make sense to me

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-06-05 at 6.36.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-06-05 at 6.36.34 PM.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 3,490
Physics news on Phys.org
wbetting said:

Homework Statement

in a two-dimensional tug-of-war, Alex, Betty, and Charles pull horizontally on an automobile tire at the angles shown in the picture. The tire remains stationary in spite of the three pulls. Alex pulls with force of magnitude 211 N, and Charles pulls with force of magnitude 181 N. Note that the direction of is not given. What is the magnitude of Betty's force if Charles pulls in (a) the direction drawn in the picture or (b) the other possible direction for equilibrium?

** I got part a correct but i just do not understand what part b is looking

Homework Equations

for part a i used Fb= -fa-Fc
found angle of fa = 180-42= 138
fby=-fay-fcy
fbsin(-90)=-fasin138-fcsintheta
then did same thing with x components to get angle theta= 29.97
This is good
then plugged that angle into formula -fb=-(211N0(sin138)-181N(sin 29.97)
= 321.60 N
your equation is good but your math is off, run those numbers again
I understand that but how do i do the other possible direction? The question does not even make sense to me
when you summed forces in the x direction, you got theta = 29.97 degrees, yes, but there is also another angle for theta that yields the same cosine value as cos 29.97...what is that angle (hint, in 4th quadrant).

1. What is the "2-d tug of war problem"?

The "2-d tug of war problem" is a mathematical and physics-based problem that involves two teams pulling on opposite ends of a rope in a two-dimensional plane. The goal is to determine which team will win based on the forces and angles involved.

2. How is the "2-d tug of war problem" different from a traditional tug of war?

The "2-d tug of war problem" is different from a traditional tug of war in that it takes place in a two-dimensional plane, rather than on a straight line. This adds an extra level of complexity to the problem and requires the use of mathematical equations and principles.

3. What are the key factors that affect the outcome of the "2-d tug of war problem"?

The key factors that affect the outcome of the "2-d tug of war problem" include the forces applied by each team, the angles at which the forces are applied, and the friction between the rope and the surface. The weight of the rope and the location of the teams also play a role in the outcome.

4. How is the "2-d tug of war problem" relevant in the real world?

The "2-d tug of war problem" has real-world applications in fields such as engineering and sports. In engineering, the principles and equations used in solving this problem can be applied to determine the forces and angles needed for structures and machines to function properly. In sports, this problem can be used to analyze the dynamics of sports involving pulling, such as tug of war or rope climbing.

5. What are some common strategies for solving the "2-d tug of war problem"?

Some common strategies for solving the "2-d tug of war problem" include breaking the forces into their components, using vector addition to find the resultant force, and setting up equations to solve for unknown variables. Visualization and graphical representation can also be helpful in solving this problem.