Dyson equation and Feynman diagrams: a brief explain

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of generating functionals in quantum field theory, specifically in relation to the 3-point green function. The "more vertices" and 2 factor in the equation refer to the possibility of having more than three particles interacting and the number of ways in which they can interact, respectively. The decomposition of the equation is a rearrangement to make it easier to work with and the combinatoric factors come from considering all possible combinations of particle interactions.
FrancescoS
Hi!
I have found a note about Generating functionals that seems to be very direct.
Since I faced a difficulty many times without solve it, I would like if anyone can explain me my troubles.
You can fine the note here (link).
In the following figure, the author describes the 3-point green function in the way it's defined

Screen_Shot_2016_01_28_at_7_03_25_PM.png

I don't understand what does it mean exactly "(more vertices)" and the 2 factor in front of the three-vertex. Does "more vertices" stands for other possibles interaction vertices, like ##\phi^4## etc…?
And the 2 factor? I should expect a factor of ##3!##.

Starting from this 2-factor, he prefers to write the above equation using this decomposition
Screen_Shot_2016_01_28_at_7_03_35_PM.png
Can you explain it in a more detailed way? What does the combinatoric factors comes from? I would like to understand it once for all.

There is also this diagram, where ##Z[J]## is the generating functional of green functions.
Screen_Shot_2016_01_28_at_7_11_01_PM.png

If I use the definition of ##Z[J]## that is

##
Z[J] = \Sigma_{n = 0}^{+ \infty} \frac{i^n}{n!}\int dx_1 … dx_n G(x_1,…,x_n)J(x_1)…J(x_n)
##

and if I perform the functional derivative

##
\frac{\delta Z[J]}{\delta J(y_1)} = \Sigma_{n=1}^{+ \infty}\frac{i^n}{(n-1)!}\int dx_1…dx_{n-1}G(x_1,…,x_{n-1},y_1)J(x_1)…J(x_n)
##
and I would like to obtain the expression he writes below, but i don't manage to do it.

Any help?? Thank you

Likes DuckAmuck
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

I would be happy to explain the concept of generating functionals and how they relate to the 3-point green function in more detail.

First, let's define what a generating functional is. A generating functional is a mathematical function that can be used to generate a series of functions. In the context of quantum field theory, a generating functional is used to generate the correlation functions, or in this case, the green functions.

Now, let's take a look at the 3-point green function. This function describes the amplitude for three particles to interact with each other. The "more vertices" in the equation refers to the possibility of having more than three particles interacting with each other. In quantum field theory, this can be represented by different interaction vertices, such as the ##\phi^4## vertex, as you mentioned.

The 2 factor in front of the three-vertex is a combinatoric factor. In this case, it represents the number of ways in which the three particles can interact with each other. In general, for a three-vertex, there are 3! = 6 possible ways for the particles to interact. However, the 2 factor takes into account the fact that the particles are indistinguishable, so some of these interactions are equivalent. Hence, we only need to consider 2 of the 6 possible interactions.

Now, let's move on to the decomposition of the equation. This is simply a way of rearranging the terms in the equation to make it easier to work with. The combinatoric factors come from the fact that we are considering all possible combinations of the particles interacting with each other. The expression below the diagram is simply the result of performing the functional derivative on the generating functional, as you have correctly stated.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify your understanding of generating functionals and the 3-point green function. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your research!

Related to Dyson equation and Feynman diagrams: a brief explain

1. What is the Dyson equation?

The Dyson equation is a mathematical tool used in quantum field theory to calculate the scattering of particles. It relates the bare propagator, which describes the free propagation of a particle, to the full propagator, which takes into account interactions between particles.

2. What are Feynman diagrams?

Feynman diagrams are visual representations of particle interactions in quantum field theory. They use lines and vertices to show the paths and exchanges of particles in a scattering process.

3. How do the Dyson equation and Feynman diagrams relate?

The Dyson equation can be used to calculate the full propagator, which is represented by a sum of all possible Feynman diagrams. This means that the Dyson equation and Feynman diagrams are two ways of representing the same mathematical concept.

4. Why are Dyson equations and Feynman diagrams important in quantum field theory?

They provide a systematic way of calculating physical quantities in quantum field theory, such as scattering amplitudes. This allows scientists to make predictions and test the theory against experimental data.

5. Are Dyson equations and Feynman diagrams used in any other fields besides quantum field theory?

Yes, they are also used in condensed matter physics and statistical mechanics to calculate correlation functions and other physical quantities. However, their interpretation and application may differ from their use in quantum field theory.