E Field due to 2 parallel oppositely charged strips

In summary, we are given two parallel strips with opposite charge densities and are asked to find the electric field intensity vector at the center of the cross section. The medium is air and the strips have equal width and distance between them. The goal is to use a regular line integral to account for the changing radius along the charged strip. However, we have not covered Gauss's law yet and must find a way to describe the line integral using only one parameter.
jegues

Homework Statement

Two parallel, very long strips are uniformly charged with charge densities [itex]\rho_{s}[/itex] and [itex]- \rho_{s}[/itex], respectively ([itex]\rho_{s} > 0[/itex]). The cross section of the structure is shown in the figure attached. The width of the strips is the same as the distance between them (i.e. a), and the medium is air. Find the electric field intensity vector at the center of the cross section (point A).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

See figure attached.

As the figure attached describes, I'm having trouble setting up an integral that will account for the always changing radius as we move along infinitesimily small lengths along the charged strip.

I have to describe this using one parameter, correct? How do I go about doing that?

My answer should of the form,

[itex]\vec{E} = -2E_{1} \hat{j}[/itex]

My problem is finding [itex]E_{1}[/itex], due to it's ever changing radius. I know I have to use a line integral, but how do I describe is using one parameter? We should integrating along dl, correct? But we also need to describe dl in terms of the radius in order to do the line integral correct?

Attachments

• ATP1.28.JPG
    ATP1.28.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 423
Physics news on Phys.org
rude man said:
Think Gauss.

We haven't cover Gauss's law yet, I'm required to do it using a regular line integral.

How would I set the integral up to account for varying radii as we move along small lengths dl along the charged line?

Related to E Field due to 2 parallel oppositely charged strips

1. What is an "E field"?

An "E field" refers to an electric field, which is a physical quantity that represents the strength and direction of the force experienced by a charged particle in the presence of other charges.

2. What does it mean for the strips to be "parallel" and "oppositely charged"?

When we say that the strips are parallel, it means that they are aligned in the same direction. And when we say they are oppositely charged, it means that one strip has a positive charge and the other has a negative charge.

3. How does the distance between the strips affect the E field?

The E field between the two parallel oppositely charged strips is inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the E field decreases, and vice versa.

4. What factors determine the strength of the E field?

The strength of the E field between the two parallel oppositely charged strips depends on the magnitude of the charges on the strips, the distance between them, and the permittivity of the medium between them.

5. How can the E field be calculated for this system?

The E field between the two parallel oppositely charged strips can be calculated using the formula E = (2kλ)/d, where k is the Coulomb's constant, λ is the charge per unit length on each strip, and d is the distance between the strips.