The Energy of a Continuous Charge Distribution (Griffiths EM Sect. 2.4.3 3rd ed)

In summary, the author discusses the concept of work done in a system of point charges and continuous charge distributions. They introduce a clever way to calculate work by summing and double-counting pairwise interactions, and then correcting for the double-counting using a factor of 1/2. They also mention the potential at a point and its relation to work. For continuous charge distributions, the same concept applies, but the sum is replaced by an integral, and the factor of 1/2 remains due to the limiting process of integration.
zackiechan
Homework Statement
just confused about the derivation/justification
Relevant Equations
for point charge distribution ##\frac{1}{2}\sum_{i=1}^{n}*q_i*V(\vec{r_i})##

for a continuous (volume, but the same ##\frac{1}{2}## applies to the line and surface formulas): ##\frac{1}{2}*\int\rho V d\tau##
I'm working through Griffiths EM 3rd ed. in section 2.4.2 (point charge distribution) and 2.4.3 (continuous charge distribution).

I understand from the section on point charge distributions that when we add up all the work (excluding the work necessary in creating the charge itself), one clever way to do it is to sum and double-count every pairwise interaction (of course excluding self-interaction):
$$W = \frac{1}{2}\sum_{i=1}^{n}q_i\left(\sum_{j=1\\ j \neq i}^{n}\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_o}\frac{q_j}{\mathcal{r_{ij}}}\right) \hspace{10 mm} \mathcal{eqn. 1}$$
then correct for the double-counting by that factor of ##\frac{1}{2}## in front of the sum.

He goes on to recognize the term in parentheses as the potential at ##V(\vec{r_i})## and cleans it up as $$W = \frac{1}{2}\sum_{i=1}^{n}q_iV(\vec{r_i}). \hspace{10 mm} \mathcal{eqn. 2}$$

In the next section he just writes down the continuous volume charge density analog as: $$W = \frac{1}{2}\int\rho V d\tau \hspace{10 mm} \mathcal{eqn. 3}$$

He quickly mentions the line and surface analogs as ##\frac{1}{2}\int\lambda V dl \hspace{5 mm} \frac{1}{2}\int\sigma V da##.

I'm confused as to why the ##\frac{1}{2}## is still in the integral for the continuous charge distribution cases?
When do we double count to have to correct by that factor of 2?
Is the ##\frac{1}{2}## a consequence of having recognized a piece of the double sum as a potential ##V(\vec{\mathcal{r_i}})##?
Does using the potential automatically double-count?

Physics news on Phys.org
An integral (of a continuous distribution) is the limit of a sum of point charges (more and more, but smaller and smaller charges), so the factor of ##1/2## will remain through the limiting process.

Likes Abhishek11235
To add above,we know that integration is limiting process. Here we just consider an infinitesimal charge ##dq##. Now, all the mathematical steps are same as you did for point charge ##q##. We will replace this with an infinitesimal charge ##dq##. As ##dq \rightarrow 0 ## , we replace our sum with integration( This is due to Bliss Theorem)

1. What is a continuous charge distribution?

A continuous charge distribution refers to a system where the charge is spread out over a continuous region, rather than being concentrated at specific points. This can include objects such as wires, rods, or plates, where the charge is distributed evenly along the surface or volume of the object.

2. How is the energy of a continuous charge distribution calculated?

The energy of a continuous charge distribution is calculated using the formula U = (1/2)∫ρφdτ, where U is the total energy, ρ is the charge density, φ is the electric potential, and dτ represents an infinitesimal volume element. This integral is taken over the entire volume of the charge distribution.

3. What is the significance of the energy of a continuous charge distribution?

The energy of a continuous charge distribution is important because it represents the potential energy stored in the system due to the presence of electric charges. This energy can be converted into other forms, such as kinetic energy, through the movement of charges.

4. How does the energy of a continuous charge distribution relate to the electric field?

The energy of a continuous charge distribution is related to the electric field through the formula U = (1/2)∫ε₀E²dτ, where ε₀ is the permittivity of free space and E is the electric field. This shows that the energy is proportional to the square of the electric field, meaning that a stronger electric field will result in a higher energy for the system.

5. Can the energy of a continuous charge distribution be negative?

Yes, the energy of a continuous charge distribution can be negative. This typically occurs when the charges are of opposite signs and are located close to each other, resulting in a negative potential energy. However, the total energy of the system will always remain constant, and a negative energy simply indicates a more stable configuration of charges.