Early planning for grad school

In summary, the individual is a freshman at JHU and is considering early planning for graduate school. They are majoring in physics and have questions about the relevance of taking math courses and conducting research for admission into top programs, as well as the importance of GREs and grades. They are also curious about the effect of their undergraduate institution on admissions. They plan to take advanced courses in QFT and GR to strengthen their candidacy.
cmogni
early "planning" for grad school

I'm currently a freshman at JHU, and I know that it is very early to think about grad school, but there are a few things that I've been wondering about. I definitely am majoring in physics, and I'm taking the second year physics sequence (special relativity, waves, classical mechanics II, and modern physics (intro to quantum physics basically)). By the time I'm done with school, if I stay for four years, I will have completed through QFT and many other graduate level classes. I was originally thinking of majoring in math, but the department seems pretty weak here, and a lot of the math that I'd take wouldn't seem that relevant to physics.

So I guess I have a few questions. Would top programs in physics (specifically theoretical particle physics) want to see that I've taken many math classes or altogether majored in math? Which math courses would be the most useful to take for physics? There is a mathematical methods year-long class, but of course that can't cover everything. I'm most likely going to start conducting research under a faculty member either later in this semester or during my spring semester. It seems like the undergraduates here don't just do grunt work for research. What's the trade-off between GREs/grades/courses/research in the admissions process? Finally, what do you think would be a good GPA in physics and math courses to stay above?

A lot of these might be newbie questions, but I'd appreciate any help I could get for my case specifically.

Physics news on Phys.org

I'd strongly suggest you learn as much numerical analysis as possible. In addition to all the basics (Numerical linear algerbra, root-finding, polynomial approximation, etc) learn something about modeling partial differential equations. This is extremely useful to know about and many physics undergrads do not have this background.

cmogni said:
Would top programs in physics (specifically theoretical particle physics) want to see that I've taken many math classes or altogether majored in math?

Yes. Any physics program would want to see the math courses.

What's the trade-off between GREs/grades/courses/research in the admissions process?

Good grades are a must. Of the other three, a strong 2/3 can make up for the other, weaker one...but obviously you should try to leave as few holes in your candidacy as possible.

Finally, what do you think would be a good GPA in physics and math courses to stay above?

3.99+ for the top schools. It goes down from there. This isn't really a meaningful question.

Do the schools release admissions statistics? If so, where could I find them? Does your undergraduate institution have any effect on admissions?

cmogni said:
Do the schools release admissions statistics? If so, where could I find them? Does your undergraduate institution have any effect on admissions?

I don't know if all schools do this, but my university publishes all of the average scores, GPA's, and a ton of additional information every year. How many people did what program, what the average GPA for that was, how many of those were international students, male, female, etc..

cmogni said:
If so, where could I find them? Does your undergraduate institution have any effect on admissions?

Some, but again... "it depends." It's a lot more what you make of your undergraduate education than where you make it, though.

cmogni said:
By the time I'm done with school, if I stay for four years, I will have completed through QFT and many other graduate level classes.

If you really to manage to get through QFT in four years of undergraduate work, you really won't have any problem getting into a decent grad school. However, remember that this is an extremely ambitious goal, and few undergraduates get through QFT, and there are large areas of physics where QFT isn't essential in grad school.

Two things:

1) Don't burn yourself out.
2) It's a good idea to take some classes that don't have anything to do with physics (i.e. art, literature, and philosophy).

Would top programs in physics (specifically theoretical particle physics) want to see that I've taken many math classes or altogether majored in math?

It's essential that you've covered the basics. Above that then a lot depends on the grad school.

Which math courses would be the most useful to take for physics?

The essential set of skills are partial differential equations, linear algebra, and complex analysis. Above that there are a number of directions you can go. Numerical analysis is something that is typically under taught in the standard physics curriculum.

What's the trade-off between GREs/grades/courses/research in the admissions process?

Depends on the particular grad school. The ranking for the ones that I'm familiar with is research/courses/grades/GRE, but different schools can have very different policies.

Finally, what do you think would be a good GPA in physics and math courses to stay above?

You need to have a decent GPA, but once you have something reasonable, it becomes much harder to tell the quality of a student because different schools have different grading policies.

Try taking QFT as soon as you can handle it. In fact, make it your medium term goal to take QFT as soon as you can. Invest most of your time into it, since it is a complete lifechanger. It really opens you many doors in terms of advanced courses and research. Not to mention it's the only way of learning if you really want to do particle physics. It's best if you learn that before actually applying to grad school.

Also take GR as soon as you can, since it doesn't really have any prereqs. As a freshman you'd have about as much background as a usual grad student (since not many take Riemannian geometry).

GR and QFT will really set you up. They are difficult courses which will require you to borrow tens of books from the library, but they're really worth it.

Thanks for all the help thus far (the more the merrier however haha). @negru: that was my goal. I want to get through QFT and GR right when I am able to do so. I don't know when I'll take GR, but it'll definitely be anywhere from sophomore to senior year depending upon how my schedule plays out. @two-fishquant: I definitely know the risks of burning myself out, and I plan on maintaining a balance in my studies and life. Although I haven't been able to for a few weeks, I usually run often. I also play the piano (quite well), and I am taking some Classics classes right now which are a nice break from math and science.

As a disclaimer, I don't want to sound like I am planning way too far ahead and trying to map out the next ten years of my life. I'm just a little curious as to what I need to expect in the coming years. I'll have to deal with it eventually, and I like to have that overarching goal in the back of my mind.

That having been said, what's the general consensus on UK programs in theoretical physics (ie Cambridge, Oxford, and Imperial)? I've always been interested in UK universities, but I don't know how they stack up when it comes to physics to the top physics schools here (eg Princeton, Harvard, Berkeley, etc).

Related to Early planning for grad school

1. What is the purpose of early planning for grad school?

Early planning for grad school is important because it allows you to carefully consider your goals and objectives, research potential programs, and prepare for the application process. This can increase your chances of getting accepted into your desired program and can also help you make more informed decisions about your academic and career path.

2. When should I start planning for grad school?

It is recommended to start planning for grad school at least a year in advance. This will give you enough time to research programs, take any necessary exams (such as the GRE), and gather all required materials for the application process. However, if you are considering highly competitive programs, it may be beneficial to start even earlier.

3. What should I consider when researching grad school programs?

When researching grad school programs, it is important to consider the reputation and accreditation of the program, the faculty and their areas of expertise, the curriculum and course offerings, the location and cost of the program, and any other specific factors that are important to you. It may also be helpful to reach out to current or former students to get their perspective on the program.

4. How can I prepare for the application process?

To prepare for the grad school application process, you should start by identifying the specific requirements for each program you are interested in, such as letters of recommendation, transcripts, and personal statements. It may also be helpful to create a timeline and checklist to ensure you have all materials submitted on time. Additionally, you can prepare by studying for any required exams and honing your writing skills for personal statements and essays.

5. How can I make myself a competitive applicant for grad school?

To make yourself a competitive applicant for grad school, it is important to have a strong academic record, relevant research or work experience, and compelling personal statements. You can also stand out by networking with faculty and professionals in your field, participating in extracurricular activities or organizations related to your field, and showcasing your passion and dedication for your chosen area of study.