Earth Spin and Rotation: Effects of Fast and Heavy Objects

In summary, the expert confirms that a fast moving and heavy object striking Earth can change its spin and rotation. The distinction between spin and rotation is clarified, with spin referring to the Earth's axis and rotation referring to its revolution around the Sun. It is also mentioned that the Earth's spin and rotation were both changed when the moon collided with it billions of years ago. The expert also notes that if all of China started running east at the same time, it could potentially change the Earth's spin and rotation.
gianeshwar
If a fast moving and heavy object strikes earth,can it change its spin or rotation or both?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the distinction between spin and rotation in this context?

Pending that clarification, the short answer to your question is "yes".

Thanks for reply.
By spin I meant about Earth axis and by rotation I meant rotation(revolution) of Earth about Sun.
For change in spin,I further specify that if the high speed heavy object pushes Earth almost tangentially(not just grazing)

If all of China started running east at the same time, that would do it.

Thanks for reply.
By spin I meant about Earth axis and by rotation I meant rotation(revolution) of Earth about Sun.
For change in spin,I further specify that if the high speed heavy object pushes Earth almost tangentially(not just grazing)
OK then, we have given you the correct answers in posts #2 and #3. Enjoy.
If all of China started running east at the same time, that would do it.
Isn't all of China already East? They'd have to run west...

Related to Earth Spin and Rotation: Effects of Fast and Heavy Objects

1. How long does it take for the Earth to complete one rotation?

The Earth takes approximately 24 hours, or one day, to complete one full rotation on its axis.

2. What causes the Earth to spin and rotate?

The Earth's rotation is caused by its initial spin during its formation and the conservation of angular momentum. Its rotation is also influenced by the gravitational pull of the Moon and the Sun.

3. Does the Earth's rotation affect its shape?

Yes, the Earth's rotation causes it to bulge slightly at the equator and flatten at the poles, giving it an oblate spheroid shape.

4. What is the difference between Earth's rotation and revolution?

Earth's rotation refers to its spinning on its axis, while its revolution refers to its orbit around the Sun. One rotation takes approximately 24 hours, while one revolution takes approximately 365.24 days.

5. Does the Earth's rotation affect the length of a day?

Yes, the Earth's rotation is gradually slowing down due to tidal forces from the Moon and the Sun. This results in an increase in the length of a day by about 17 milliseconds every century.