Earth stereographic projection line intersection

In summary: Additionally, using a phone or other device with location and orientation tracking capabilities can also help in making this calculation. In summary, the destination point of a vector pointed towards the center of the Earth depends on the angle of the vector and the shape of the Earth, and can be calculated using stereographic projection and matrix algebra.
manyhats
Hi,

Consider you are standing upright and pointing your finger at the ground. Where does the vector coming off the tip of your finger arrive when it hits ground level on the other side of the Earth?

..Think as if you were going to imperviously dig a hole through the Earth and could travel only on a line.. how would you know where you would arrive on the other side?

Here are some thoughts and research I've gathered:

longitude/latitude

oblate spheroid(6,378.1 km, 6,356.8 km) Earth

pitch
roll
yaw

I want to use these variables to get a longitude and latitude of where the line would intersect on the Earth. I suppose it would intersect twice and the first time would be your longitude and latitude. I think stereographic projection and matrix algebra should be used here but I am stumped.

I want to use a phone to make such a function given longitude/latitude and pitch roll and yaw.

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer to your question is that it depends on the exact angle of the vector coming off the tip of your finger, as well as the shape of the Earth. The Earth is not a perfect sphere, but is an oblate spheroid with a radius of 6,378.1 km at the equator and 6,356.8 km at the poles. This means that the vector will travel different distances based on its angle and where it originates from. In order to accurately calculate the destination point of the vector, you would need to use a combination of stereographic projection and matrix algebra. Stereographic projection is a way of projecting points on the surface of a sphere onto a plane, and matrix algebra is used to represent rotations in three-dimensional space. Together, these two methods can be used to calculate the destination point of the vector given the starting point, the angle of the vector, and the shape of the Earth.

Related to Earth stereographic projection line intersection

1. What is an Earth stereographic projection?

An Earth stereographic projection is a map projection that represents the Earth's surface as if it were projected onto a tangent plane. This projection is commonly used in navigation and cartography.

2. How is the Earth stereographic projection created?

The Earth stereographic projection is created by projecting the Earth's spherical surface onto a tangent plane at a specific point, usually the North or South Pole. This results in a circular map with the projected point at the center.

3. What is the purpose of the line intersection in the Earth stereographic projection?

The line intersection in the Earth stereographic projection is used to create a grid system for navigation and measurement. It allows for accurate representation of distances and angles on the map.

4. What is the significance of the line intersection in the Earth stereographic projection?

The line intersection in the Earth stereographic projection is significant because it allows for the creation of accurate and detailed maps. It also allows for easy navigation and measurement on the map.

5. Are there any limitations to the Earth stereographic projection?

Yes, there are limitations to the Earth stereographic projection. It is only accurate near the center of the map, and distortion increases as you move further away from the center. This projection is also not suitable for representing the entire Earth's surface due to the distortion at the edges of the map.