Earth vs Space: Is a Falling Ball PULL or PUSH?

• Thread starter Deepak K Kapur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pull Push
In summary: I think, the answer is:In summary, when a ball falls towards Earth, the actual action occurring is the presence of mass changing the geometry of space-time, causing the ball to follow a curved path. This can be explained by the theory of gravity, which suggests that the Earth and the ball attract each other due to their mass. However, different models of physics may offer different explanations for this phenomenon.
Deepak K Kapur
When a ball falls towards Earth, what is actually happenning...

Is the Earth PULLING the ball?
or
Is the space PUSHING the ball?

(Be assured that I can understand you. Before becoming a teacher of literature, I studied Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics upto graduation level. The previous thread was an attempt to find 'some reason in madness')

Physics news on Phys.org
Neither. In a vacuum, the ball is in free motion. If in the atmosphere, air is pushing it upward (slowing down its fall).

Deepak K Kapur said:

Is the Earth PULLING the ball?
or
Is the space PUSHING the ball?
In general relativity, neither. The presence of mass changes the geometry of space-time so that the "natural" direction of travel is not a straight line but a curve.
Deepak K Kapur said:
(Be assured that I can understand you. Before becoming a teacher of literature, I studied Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics upto graduation level. The previous thread was an attempt to find 'some reason in madness')
Having skimmed your previous thread, I suspect that you will need to study a lot of maths to follow any answer much more in-depth than either mine or wabbit's.

You could say both, or anyone. But since we need to reason it out, we bring out a theory to explain force acting between two bodies due to their mass...and say that the Earth and the ball attract each other...We could even tweak the theory in some places and say that the space is pushing those two bodies toward each other.

Deepak K Kapur said:

Depends on the definition of "actually". Physics can model this in different ways:

Thanks everybody.

1. Is gravity a pull or a push force?

Gravity is a pull force. It is the force of attraction between two objects with mass. This means that the Earth's mass pulls objects towards its center, causing them to fall towards the ground.

2. Why does a ball fall towards the ground when dropped?

A ball falls towards the ground when dropped because of the force of gravity. The Earth's mass creates a gravitational force that pulls the ball towards its center.

3. Does the Earth pull or push objects towards its center?

The Earth pulls objects towards its center. This is due to the force of gravity, which is a pull force created by the Earth's mass.

4. How does the force of gravity affect objects in space?

The force of gravity affects objects in space by pulling them towards each other. This is why planets orbit around the sun and moons orbit around planets. The larger the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull.

5. Can objects in space be pushed away from each other?

Yes, objects in space can be pushed away from each other. This can happen when there is a strong enough force acting on the objects, such as a rocket engine or an explosion. However, gravity will eventually bring the objects back together.