Earth's Magnetic Field Experiment / Helmholtz Coils?

In summary: The period of oscillation of a bar magnet in a known magnetic field can be used to obtain the horizontal component of the Earth's field. However, in a magnetic field coil, it is the current that matters, not the voltage. This may cause confusion when applying different voltages to the Helmholtz coils, as the period of oscillation may increase with only 1 voltage applied, but decrease with additional voltages applied. To ensure accurate results, it is important to consider negative currents/voltages and to rotate the setup. Additionally, the setup should be described in more detail, including how the magnet is suspended in the coil and how gravity is prevented from affecting the results.
holadudes

Homework Statement

In my ab, we were supposed to obtain the horizontal component of the Earth's magnetic field by measuring the period of oscillation of a bar magnet in a known field using the Helmholtz coils, a resistor, and an AC power amplifier. Now during this experiment I had issues with the measuring the period. The reason for so, is because my period of oscillation when applying 1 voltage to the coils would be higher than no applied voltage. And yet when I apply 2, 3, 4, or 5 voltages to the initial 0 applied voltage of the Helmholtz coils, the period of oscillation would decrease (like it's supposed to).
Therefore, my question is:
Why is it when I apply 1 voltage to the Helmholtz coils the oscillation slows down, but when I apply additional voltage to that, the oscillation will speed up?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand why it would slow down only when I add the 1 voltage, and not when I add the additional voltages. Therefore, I would know I did something completely wrong. However, according to my Lab instructor I did everything correctly.

Physics news on Phys.org
In a magnetic field coil, it is the current that matters, not the voltage.

Did you try negative currents/voltages?

Did you try to rotate the setup?

Have you estimated the magnetic field of your coils for the currents/voltages applied?

How is the magnet suspended in the coil? How do you keep gravity from affecting the results? You need to describe the setup more fully.

hello i am new in this forum and would like to get some help,
Inside a helmoltz coil exist a magnetic field value due the Earth magnetic field, that is without inducing any current to the coils,right?. Now if I want to induce a current in the coil to generate a specific magnetic field value,Does the resultant magnetic field is the sum of the two magnetic field values (magnetic field without current + magnetic field with current) or it is the specific magnetic field produced by the current only?.

amiralles said:
hello i am new in this forum and would like to get some help,
Inside a helmoltz coil exist a magnetic field value due the Earth magnetic field, that is without inducing any current to the coils,right?. Now if I want to induce a current in the coil to generate a specific magnetic field value,Does the resultant magnetic field is the sum of the two magnetic field values (magnetic field without current + magnetic field with current) or it is the specific magnetic field produced by the current only?.

The magnetic field inside the coil is the (vector) sum of the Earth's field plus that induced by any current applied to the coil.

1. What is the purpose of the Earth's Magnetic Field Experiment?

The purpose of the Earth's Magnetic Field Experiment is to study the Earth's magnetic field and how it changes over time. This can help us better understand how the Earth's magnetic field is generated and how it affects our planet.

2. How do Helmholtz Coils play a role in the experiment?

Helmholtz Coils are used to create a uniform magnetic field in the laboratory. They consist of two identical circular coils that are placed parallel to each other and separated by a distance equal to their radius. By passing an electric current through these coils, a uniform magnetic field can be produced within the area between the coils, which is essential for conducting experiments on the Earth's magnetic field.

3. What type of data is collected during the experiment?

The Earth's Magnetic Field Experiment collects data on the strength and direction of the Earth's magnetic field at different locations. This data is typically measured using a magnetometer, which is a device that can detect and measure magnetic fields.

4. How does the Earth's magnetic field affect our daily lives?

The Earth's magnetic field has a significant impact on our daily lives. It helps protect us from harmful cosmic radiation and solar winds, which can cause damage to our electronic devices and even our health. The magnetic field also plays a crucial role in navigation, as many animals and humans use it for orientation and navigation purposes.

5. What are some potential applications of the Earth's Magnetic Field Experiment?

The Earth's Magnetic Field Experiment has many potential applications. It can help us develop a better understanding of the Earth's interior and its geological processes. It can also aid in the development of more accurate models for predicting changes in the Earth's magnetic field, which can have practical applications in fields such as navigation and space exploration. Additionally, the data collected from this experiment can help us better understand the effects of geomagnetic storms and other space weather events on our planet and its inhabitants.