Easy collision question, momentum and energy

In summary, the two objects will travel up the incline for a total of 2.0m before starting to slide back down.
PoohBah716

Homework Statement

A spring (k=4200N/m) and box A (mA=120kg) are on a frictionless incline, as shown below . Box A is pressed against the spring such that it is compressed 1.0m, and then released. Box A then hits, and sticks to box B, 1.0m farther up the ramp from the uncompressed position of the spring (massB=80kg) (i.e. the collision happens 2.0m total distance from A's initial position). Box B is held at rest until it is struck by A, then it is free to move. How far up the ramp will the two of them travel up the ramp before starting to slide back down?

Homework Equations

MaVa+MbVb=MaVaf+MbVbf

The Attempt at a Solution

h=2sin30
h=1
v=1/2*(m+m)=(M+m)gh

Physics news on Phys.org
PoohBah716 said:
A spring (k=4200N/m) and box A (mA=120kg) are on a frictionless incline, as shown below . Box A is pressed against the spring such that it is compressed 1.0m, and then released. Box A then hits, and sticks to box B, 1.0m farther up the ramp from the uncompressed position of the spring (massB=80kg) (i.e. the collision happens 2.0m total distance from A's initial position). Box B is held at rest until it is struck by A, then it is free to move. How far up the ramp will the two of them travel up the ramp before starting to slide back down?

Homework Equations

MaVa+MbVb=MaVaf+MbVbf

The Attempt at a Solution

h=2sin30
h=1
v=1/2*(m+m)=(M+m)gh
what is m and M and how you are trying it
v=1/2*(m+m)=(M+m)gh ... your this equation has dimensional problem
try to do conservation of momentum to find out the velocity of A+B after collision. then you can find the distance as energy conservation will hold after the collision.

P1=p2
M1(Vf-Vi)=-M2(Vf-Vi)
KE1f+KE2f=KE1i+KE2i
1/2M1f+V1f^2+1/2M2fV2f^2=1/2M1iV1i^2+1/2M2V2f^2

Could you walk me through this problem, I am getting stuck.

PoohBah716 said:
Could you walk me through this problem, I am getting stuck.

actually we can only provide hints and you have to do the work.
PoohBah716 said:

initially the spring will give push when released - one can calculate the velocity acquired by this push by mass A- you have k given so that's not a problem- the spring energy will be spent in providing kinetic energy as well as potential energy of massA
now this massA is hitting B at rest so equate momentum of A and B before the hit with momentum of two body combined with the unknown velocity.
this equality can give you the final velocity of the combined mass.
but one must take care when equating energy of this mass going uphill to the velocity zero as it is climbing up also against gravitational pull.

Likes berkeman

Related to Easy collision question, momentum and energy

1. What is the difference between momentum and energy in a collision?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. In a collision, the total momentum of the system is conserved, meaning it remains the same before and after the collision. Energy, on the other hand, is the ability to do work and is conserved in a closed system. In a collision, some of the energy may be converted into other forms, such as sound or heat, but the total energy remains the same.

2. How does the mass of objects affect the outcome of a collision?

The mass of objects involved in a collision affects the amount of momentum and energy that is transferred between them. In a collision between two objects with different masses, the heavier object will experience less change in velocity and therefore less change in momentum. However, the total momentum of the system will still be conserved.

3. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision where some kinetic energy is lost, usually in the form of heat or sound, and the objects involved stick together after the collision. In this type of collision, the total momentum of the system is still conserved, but the total energy is not. Examples of inelastic collisions include a car hitting a wall or two clay balls colliding and sticking together.

4. How does the conservation of momentum and energy apply to real-life collisions?

The laws of conservation of momentum and energy apply to all collisions, whether they are in a controlled laboratory setting or in real-life situations. In real-life collisions, there may be external factors such as friction or air resistance that affect the outcome, but the total momentum and energy of the system will still be conserved.

5. Can the kinetic energy of a system increase in a collision?

In a closed system, the total kinetic energy will remain the same before and after a collision, but this does not mean that the kinetic energy of individual objects cannot increase. For example, in an explosion, the potential energy stored in the system is converted into kinetic energy, resulting in an increase in the kinetic energy of the objects involved in the explosion.