How Do You Calculate the Final Temperature of a Glass Pot and Oil?

In summary, the problem involves a glass pot of mass 0.6kg and 1.2kg of oil at 15 degrees Celsius. If 214kJ of energy is supplied, the final temperature of the pot and oil must be calculated. The specific heat capacity of glass is 700 J kg-1 °C-1, and the specific heat capacity of oil is 2200 J kg-1 °C-1. Using the equation E=mcΔT, the individual and combined energies of the pot and oil can be calculated and equated to the supplied heat to determine the final temperature.
H=Leo
HW Template missing as it was moved from another forum
I recently encountered this problem in class
"A glass pot of mass 0.6kg contains 1.2kg of oil at 15 degrees Celsius. If 214kJ of energy is supplied to it, what is the final temperature of the pot and oil? ( The specific heat capacity of glass is 700 J kg-1 °C-1, and the specific heat capacity of oil is 2200 J kg-1 °C-1 )"
Please help!
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Give it a try yourself, first.
Do you know any equations which involve change in temperature and heat required to do so?
If you do, equate the heat supplied to the sum of that equations for both the oil and container, remember final temperature for both the constituents must be equal

I don't know but I guess I have to apply the formula
c=E/ΔT
where c is the heat capacity, E is Joules, and ΔT is the temperature difference

I know that if there is 214kJ of energy supplied to the pot, the final temperature of the pot would be

Let x degree Celsius be the temperature difference

700=214000/x
∴x=305 degree Celsius.

Final temperature
Initial temperature + x
=15+305
=320 °C

However, I don't know how to relate the pot to the oil and find out the final temperature of two objects with different heat capacities.
Thanks.

H=Leo said:
c=E/ΔT
I don't see mass there? It should be in there.
H=Leo said:
700=214000/x
∴x=305 degree Celsius.

Final temperature
Initial temperature + x
=15+305
=320 °C

However, I don't know how to relate the pot to the oil and find out the final temperature of two objects with different heat capacities.
the heat=214000 should be equated to sum of the heat absorbed by the oil and container.
H=Leo said:
c=E/ΔT
This is just your ##E_1## find ##E_2## which is for the oil then add and equate to heat supplied.

H=Leo said:
I don't know but I guess I have to apply the formula
c=E/ΔT
where c is the heat capacity, E is Joules, and ΔT is the temperature difference

I know that if there is 214kJ of energy supplied to the pot, the final temperature of the pot would be

Let x degree Celsius be the temperature difference

700=214000/x
∴x=305 degree Celsius.

Final temperature
Initial temperature + x
=15+305
=320 °C

Thanks.
Given the units of specific heat capacity (J / kg / °C), don't you think it's reasonable to assume that the mass of a substance figures into how much energy it takes to change its temperature?

So what you are saying is that the pot and the oil don't both absorb 214kJ of energy, instead they divide 214kJ up and both take up portions of that energy?

Precisely, equate it, you'll get an equation with 1 variable, solve.

And also, is the mass of an object is directly proportional to the energy it takes up?
I am assuming the pot is 0.6 kg and the oil is 1.2 kg,
therefore divide 214 kJ by 18 pieces and times 6 for the energy taken up for the pot, and times 12 for the energy taken up for the oil.
I don't know whether if it is really that straight-forward, but I am assuming it is.

No, it's not, you also have to consider their specific heats.
Don't complicate it,Leo.. you have your equation##E=mcΔT##from this find ##E_1~and~ E_2## add and equate to 214000, don't worry about how the energy is divided, you don't need to.
Try to form the equation, i described above.

Oh I see... Thanks a lot for the help!

1. What is heat capacity?

Heat capacity is a measure of the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by a certain amount. It is expressed in units of energy per degree Celsius (or Kelvin).

2. How do you calculate heat capacity?

The formula for heat capacity is C = Q / ∆T, where C is the heat capacity, Q is the amount of heat energy added or removed, and ∆T is the change in temperature.

3. What is an easy heat capacity problem?

An easy heat capacity problem typically involves a simple system where the heat energy and temperature change are given, and the task is to calculate the heat capacity of the substance.

4. Can you provide an example of an easy heat capacity problem?

Sure, for example: A cup of water with a mass of 500g is heated from 25°C to 40°C by adding 1000 J of heat energy. What is the heat capacity of water?

C = Q / ∆T = 1000 J / (40°C - 25°C) = 40 J/°C

5. How can I solve an easy heat capacity problem?

To solve an easy heat capacity problem, you need to identify the given values for heat energy and temperature change, and then use the formula C = Q / ∆T to calculate the heat capacity.