Easy N2L question grade 11 physics

In summary: You can't use a formula that is not true and then say "but I meant something else" The whole point of the question is to test your understanding, not just your use of formulae.You need to understand what you are doing. There are a number of problems in what you have written, and you make no attempt to explain why you are using these formulae, or why you are adding up forces and equating to ma. You are just spouting formulae. You need to show understanding, not just formulae.In summary, the conversation was about a problem in grade 11 physics involving a dynamics cart attached to a mass suspended over a pulley. The questions asked for the acceleration of the
CONBOSS
Easy N2L question... grade 11 physics

Problem: A 500g dynamics cart is attached to a 50g mass, which is suspended over a pulley. When released from rest, it took 1.5 s for the cart to move a distance of 1m.

Find: a) acceleration of cart,
b) friction between cart and track

Attempt; a) Given: Δd=1m, Δt=1.5s

Δv= Δd/Δt
Δv=1/1.5
Δv=.666 m/s

a=Δv/Δt
a=.666/1.5
a=.444 m/s²

Thus, ave. acceleration of cart = .444 m/s²

b) Given: Fapp = 0.49 N, mcart=.500 kg, a=.444 m/s²

FNet= ma → (.5)(.444)
FNet= .222

FNet= Fapp + f + FN + Fg (FN & Fg are redundant)

.222= 0.49 + f → .222 - .49 = f
f= -.268 N

Therefore friction = .268 N

Physics news on Phys.org

CONBOSS said:
Problem: A 500g dynamics cart is attached to a 50g mass, which is suspended over a pulley. When released from rest, it took 1.5 s for the cart to move a distance of 1m.

Δv= Δd/Δt
Δv=1/1.5
Δv=.666 m/s

a=Δv/Δt
a=.666/1.5
a=.444 m/s²

FNet= ma → (.5)(.444)
FNet= .222

f= -.268 N

The line in red is incorrect. average velocity = Δd/Δt

When the object starts at rest, and has constant acceleration, the final velocity is twice the average velocity.

CONBOSS said:

Δv= Δd/Δt
Δv=1/1.5 This is the average velocity. the final velocity is twice this.
Δv=.666 m/s

a=Δv/Δt
a=.666/1.5
a=.444 m/s² This is in error also.

FNet= ma → (.5)(.444)
FNet= .222

f= -.268 N

See comments above.

The total amount of mass being accelerated is 550 g.

Δv= Δd/Δt
Δv=1/1.5
Δv=.666 m/s

a=Δv/Δt
a=(.666/1.5) x 2
a=..888 m/s²

Thus, acceleration of cart = .888 m/s²

b) Given: Fapp = 0.49 N, mcart=.550 kg, a=.888 m/s²

FNet= ma → (.550)(.888)
FNet= .4882

.4882= 0.49 + f → .4882 - .49 = f
f= -.0016?

Therefore friction = .0016 N

CONBOSS said:

Δv= Δd/Δt
Δv=1/1.5
Δv=.666 m/s
This is still wrong, and putting a two in the next bit does give a correct numerical answer, but is poor compensation

a=Δv/Δt
a=(.666/1.5) x 2
a=..888 m/s²

Thus, acceleration of cart = .888 m/s²

b) Given: Fapp = 0.49 N, mcart=.550 kg, a=.888 m/s²

The mass of the Cart is only 500g, not 550. The mass of the system is 550, but you are claiming only the cart here. Perhaps you mean the total mass, but you have said mcart. You must say what you mean - which is the problem with the first part (Δv = Δd/Δt) You must state correctly, then substitute correctly

FNet= ma → (.550)(.888)
FNet= .4882

.4882= 0.49 + f → .4882 - .49 = f
f= -.0016?

Therefore friction = .0016 N

There is a chance this final answer is correct - but the explanations are very confused and contradictory.

Above poster SammyS said total mass was 550g, so I would assume to use 550g as my total mass for finding FNet right? I will fix the question when I write it out to make it more comprehensible!

CONBOSS said:
Above poster SammyS said total mass was 550g, so I would assume to use 550g as my total mass for finding FNet right? I will fix the question when I write it out to make it more comprehensible!

You may well be correct to use 550g, but you still call it mcart ! That's the problem.

1. What is an N2L question in grade 11 physics?

N2L stands for Newton's Second Law, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In grade 11 physics, N2L questions typically involve applying this law to different scenarios and solving for unknown variables such as force, mass, or acceleration.

2. How do I solve an N2L question in grade 11 physics?

To solve an N2L question, you first need to identify the known and unknown variables. Then, use the formula F=ma (force equals mass times acceleration) to set up an equation and solve for the unknown variable. It is also important to pay attention to the units of measurement and use the correct formula for the given situation.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving N2L questions?

Some common mistakes when solving N2L questions include not using the correct formula, mixing up units of measurement, and not considering all the forces acting on the object (such as friction). It is also important to double-check your calculations and make sure they are accurate.

4. Can N2L be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, N2L can be applied to real-life situations such as calculating the force required to push or pull an object, understanding the motion of objects in freefall, and designing structures to withstand certain forces. It is a fundamental law of physics that can be seen in action in many everyday scenarios.

5. Are there any tips for mastering N2L questions in grade 11 physics?

Practice is key when it comes to mastering N2L questions. Make sure to understand the concept and formulas thoroughly, and then solve as many practice problems as possible. It is also helpful to break down the problem into smaller parts and use diagrams or graphs to visualize the situation. Don't be afraid to ask for help from a teacher or classmate if you are struggling with a specific question.