Easy operations but somehow I'm wrong

• Thread starter fallen186
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operations
In summary, the question asks to calculate the average velocity and express the answer in the correct units and significant figures. The given values are 7.8 m for distance and 1.15 s for time, with an uncertainty of 0.34 m and 0.82 s, respectively. After performing the calculation, the average velocity is found to be 3.79 m/s, which should be rounded to 0.76 m/s due to the uncertainty in the given values.
fallen186

Homework Statement

Carry out these operations as if they were calculations of experimental results, and express each answer in the correct units and with the correct number of significant figures:
(d) (7.8 m - 0.34 m) / (1.15s + 0.82 s)

Homework Equations

V=d/t

The Attempt at a Solution

(7.8 m - 0.34 m) / (1.15 s + 0.82 s)
(7.46 m) / (1.97 s)
3.79 m/s

It tells me the answer is 0.76 m/s :\. I double checked and this is what they say is the right answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you misunderstood the question, the second number is the uncertainty on the first.
So the question is 7.8m/1.15s and then from the uncertainty in the values you are given decide how many figures you are justified in using in the answer.

As a scientist, it is important to always double check your work and make sure your calculations are accurate. In this case, it seems that there may have been a mistake in the calculation, as the correct answer should be 0.76 m/s. It is also important to pay attention to significant figures and ensure that your final answer has the correct number of significant figures. In this case, the final answer should have only two significant figures since the given values have two significant figures. Therefore, the correct answer should be 0.76 m/s. It is important to always strive for accuracy and precision in scientific calculations.

Related to Easy operations but somehow I'm wrong

1. Why do I keep making mistakes during easy operations?

There could be several reasons for making mistakes during easy operations. It could be due to lack of focus or attention, not following the correct steps, or not fully understanding the instructions. It is important to double check your work and take breaks if needed to avoid making mistakes.

2. How can I improve my accuracy during easy operations?

One way to improve accuracy during easy operations is to carefully read and follow the instructions. Take your time and make sure you understand each step before proceeding. It may also be helpful to practice and familiarize yourself with the process before attempting it on important tasks.

3. What should I do if I realize I made a mistake during an easy operation?

If you realize you made a mistake during an easy operation, it is important to remain calm and assess the situation. Depending on the severity of the mistake, you may need to start over, seek assistance from a colleague, or troubleshoot the issue. It is important to learn from the mistake and take steps to prevent it from happening again in the future.

4. Are there any tools or techniques that can help me avoid mistakes during easy operations?

Yes, there are various tools and techniques that can help you avoid mistakes during easy operations. Some examples include using checklists, breaking down complex tasks into smaller steps, and double checking your work before finalizing it. It is also helpful to ask for feedback and advice from experienced colleagues.

5. How can I prevent making mistakes during easy operations in the future?

To prevent making mistakes during easy operations in the future, it is important to identify the root cause of the mistake. This could be due to lack of knowledge or skill, distractions, or a misunderstanding of the task. Once you have identified the cause, you can take steps to address it, such as seeking additional training or finding ways to minimize distractions. It is also important to practice and continuously improve your skills to avoid making the same mistakes in the future.