Question on Sliding/rolling spherical ball

In summary, a bowler throws a bowling ball of radius 11 cm with initial speed 7.8 m/s and initial angular speed 0 along a lane with coefficient of kinetic friction 0.13. The ball experiences linear acceleration of -1.274 m/s^2 and angular acceleration of 28.9545 rad/s^2 in the clockwise direction. It slides for 1.74927 seconds before stopping and rolling smoothly. The ball slides a distance that is not specified and has a linear speed of 6.551 m/s when smooth rolling begins.
i_hate_math

Homework Statement

A bowler throws a bowling ball of radius R = 11 cm along a lane. The ball (the figure) slides on the lane with initial speed vcom,0 = 7.8 m/s and initial angular speed ω0 = 0. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the ball and the lane is 0.13. The kinetic frictional force http://edugen.wileyplus.com/edugen/courses/crs7165/art/qb/qu/c11/low_fvec.gifkacting on the ball causes a linear acceleration of the ball while producing a torque that causes an angular acceleration of the ball. When speed vcom has decreased enough and angular speed φ has increased enough, the ball stops sliding and then rolls smoothly. During the sliding, what are the ball's (a) linear acceleration and (b) angular acceleration? (c) How long does the ball slide? (d) How far does the ball slide? (e) What is the linear speed of the ball when smooth rolling begins? Note that the clockwise direction is taken as negative.

Homework Equations

Second Laws: F=m*a and. Torque=I*angular acceleration

I=(2/5)mR^2 ------ this I am not sure. This is probs where i went wrong.

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a, I used Newtons second law
-m*a=friction force
thus a=-frictionconstant * 9.8=-1.274

Part b,
I had this expression, Iα=R*μ*m*g
where i too I to be I=(2/5)mR^2
and i got α=28.9545
But this is WRONG

Part C i got 1.74927... which is correct
Part D is wrong followed by the wrong answer from part B
Part e i got the right answer

Attachments

• image.gif
    image.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 487
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with the magnitude of the angular acceleration you got for part b, but note the instruction that clockwise is to be taken as negative. Relate that to the picture.

Likes i_hate_math

1. What is the difference between sliding and rolling for a spherical ball?

The main difference between sliding and rolling for a spherical ball is the way in which the ball moves. When a ball is sliding, it is in contact with the surface it is on and is being dragged along. In contrast, when a ball is rolling, it is rotating as it moves, which allows it to cover more distance with less friction.

2. How does the surface type affect the sliding/rolling of a spherical ball?

The surface type can greatly affect the sliding/rolling of a spherical ball. A smoother surface will allow for easier rolling, while a rougher surface may cause more friction and make it difficult for the ball to roll. Additionally, different surfaces may have different levels of grip, which can impact the sliding/rolling motion of the ball.

3. What factors influence the speed of a sliding/rolling spherical ball?

The speed of a sliding/rolling spherical ball is influenced by several factors, including the angle of the slope or incline it is on, the surface type, and the amount of friction present. Additionally, the mass and size of the ball can also play a role in its speed.

4. Can a spherical ball slide and roll at the same time?

Yes, a spherical ball can slide and roll at the same time. This is known as a combination of sliding and rolling motion, where the ball is both rotating and being dragged along the surface it is on. This can occur when there is a combination of forces acting on the ball, such as a slope and friction.

5. How does the shape of a spherical ball affect its sliding/rolling motion?

The shape of a spherical ball can greatly impact its sliding/rolling motion. A perfectly round ball will have a more consistent rolling motion compared to a slightly flattened or uneven ball. This is because a perfectly round ball will have a more even distribution of weight, allowing it to roll smoothly without any wobbling or bouncing.