What Are the Correct Responses to These Basic Physics Questions?

• Thread starter salman19753
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the acceleration of an object undergoing uniform circular motion is constant in both magnitude and direction. The centripetal force on a car rounding a curve on a level road is provided by the torque applied to its steer. If the radius of the path of an object in uniform circular motion is doubled, the centripetal force needed if its speed remains the same is half as great as before. The centripetal force that keeps a stone attached to a string in a vertical circle is given by the tension of the string. The centripetal force needed to keep the Earth in orbit is provided by the gravitational pull of the sun. The gravitational acceleration 'g' of an object varies somewhat over the Earth's surface. If the Earth were three
salman19753

Homework Statement

1. The acceleration of an object undergoing uniform circular motion is constant in
a. magnitude only b. direction only
c. both magnitude and direction d. neither magnitude nor direction

2. The centripetal force on a car rounding a curve on a level road is provided by
a. gravity b. friction between its tires and the road
c. the torque applied to its steer d. its brakes

3. The radius of the path of an object in uniform circular motion is doubled. The centripetal force needed if its speed remains the same is
a. half as great as before b. the same as before
c. twice as great as before d. four times as great as before

4. The centripetal force that keeps a stone attached to a string in a vertical circle is given by:
a. the tension of the string
b. the centrifugal force pulling down
c. the tension plus the weight of the stone
d. the tension minus the weight of the stone

5. The centripetal force needed to keep the Earth in orbit is provided by
a. inertia b. its rotation on its axis
c. the gravitational pull of the sun d. the gravitational pull of the moon

6. The gravitational acceleration ‘g’ of an object
a. has the same value everywhere in space
b. has the same value everywhere on the earth’s surface
c. varies somewhat over the earth’s surface
d. is greater on the moon because of its smaller diameter

7. If the Earth were three times farther from the sun than it is now, the gravitational force exerted on it by the sun would be
a. three times as large as it is now b. nine times as large as it is now
c. one-third as large as it is now d. one-ninth as large as it is now

8. Newton realized that:
a. the force between two objects is inversely proportional to the distance between them
b. the force between two objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them
c. the force between two objects is directly proportional to the distance between them
d. the force between two objects is directly proportional to the square of the distance between them.

9. Two masses, m1 and m2, are separated by a distance r. The force of attraction between the two masses is FG = 150 N. If m1 is tripled, what is the new FG?
a. 150 N b. 300 N
c. 75 N d. 450 N

10. Two masses, m1 and m2, are separated by a distance r. The force of attraction between the two masses is FG = 150 N. If r was halved and both masses doubled, what is the new FG?
a. 2400 N b. 1200 N
c. 150 N d. 450 N

My attempts at answers:
1. a
2. c
3. a
4. a
5. c
6. b
7. d
8. b
9. d
10. a

Physics news on Phys.org
#2 - Think again. Think about: if this force were absent, the car wouldn't be able to round the curve.

#6 - The Earth is not a perfect sphere.

#10 - [Edit: Nevermind, the answer you supplied is correct.]

Last edited:
Yenaled said:
#2 - Think again. Think about: if this force were absent, the car wouldn't be able to round the curve.

#6 - The Earth is not a perfect sphere.

#10 - First of all, you didn't factor in the fact that the r is halved (look at question 7). Secondly, how does FG depend on each mass? (look at question 9)

#2- I believe that it would be the friction between the tires and the road because without the friction, you would just continue to go straight.

#6- I believe that it would vary on some places in Earth, because of the different distances from the Earth's center

#10- I believe that it will be 1200 N because I forgot to take into account halving it.

By the way Thank You So Much for your help!

#2 - Yes!

#6 - Correct.

#10 - [sorry, this is correct]

Last edited:
Yenaled said:
#2 - Yes!

#6 - Correct.

#10 - No. Remember the inverse square law: when the distance is halved, the force is reduced by a factor of 4. Also, remember that force is proportional to mass, not the square of mass. When a mass is doubled, the force is doubled. When two masses are each doubled, what happens to the force?

Does the force stay the same? At 150 N?

When both masses are doubled, the force is quadrupled.

My apologies -- the original answer was correct.

When the radius is halved, the force increases by a factor of 4. And when both masses are doubled, the force is quadrupled. So the force ultimately increases by a factor of 16.

Yenaled said:
My apologies -- the original answer was correct.

When the radius is halved, the force increases by a factor of 4. And when both masses are doubled, the force is quadrupled. So the force ultimately increases by a factor of 16.

Okay so the original 2400 N is correct right?

Yes. Sorry for the confusion.

1. What is the purpose of "Easy Physics Questions: Please Check my Answers"?

The purpose of "Easy Physics Questions: Please Check my Answers" is to provide a platform for students or individuals to test their knowledge and understanding of basic physics concepts.

2. Who can benefit from "Easy Physics Questions: Please Check my Answers"?

Anyone who is interested in learning or reviewing basic physics concepts can benefit from "Easy Physics Questions: Please Check my Answers". It is especially helpful for students preparing for exams or looking to improve their understanding of the subject.

3. Are the answers provided in "Easy Physics Questions: Please Check my Answers" accurate?

Yes, the answers provided in "Easy Physics Questions: Please Check my Answers" are accurate. However, if you have any doubts or concerns about a specific answer, you can always do further research or consult with a teacher or expert.

4. Can I submit my own physics questions to "Easy Physics Questions: Please Check my Answers"?

Currently, "Easy Physics Questions: Please Check my Answers" does not accept submissions from users. However, you can always suggest new questions or topics for future updates by contacting the website or the creator.

5. How can I use "Easy Physics Questions: Please Check my Answers" to improve my understanding of physics?

You can use "Easy Physics Questions: Please Check my Answers" as a practice tool to test your knowledge and identify areas where you need more improvement. You can also review the explanations provided for each answer to gain a better understanding of the underlying concepts.