Easy Stoichiometry Concentration Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses two situations involving chemical reactions. The first involves the addition of iron to a solution of copper sulfate, resulting in the production of solid copper. The minimum volume of copper sulfate solution needed for this reaction is calculated using the given information. The second situation involves the generation of hydrogen gas by reacting zinc with hydrochloric acid. The mass of hydrogen gas produced and the concentration of zinc chloride in the resulting solution are both determined.
htrrht
1. A piece of iron was added to a beaker that contained 0.585 mol/L copper(II) sulfate, CuSO4(aq). The solid copper that precipitated was dried, and its mass was found to be 5.02 g. Some unreacted iron remained in the beaker. Calculate the minimum volume of the copper(II) sulfate solution.

I really have no idea what I'm doing, seriously. I pretty much just guessed and my answer is almost guaranteed to be completely wrong.

This is what I have:

0.585mol CuSO4 / 1 L = 1 mol Cu / 1 mol CuSO4 = x / 5.02g Cu = 5.02g CuSO4
n=5.02g CuSO4 / 159.62 g/mol = 0.031 mol CuSO4
v = 0.585mol / L / 0.031 mol
v = 18.4 L.

2. To generate hydrogen gas, a teacher added 25.0 g of mossy zinc to 220 mL of 3.00 mol/L hydrochloric acid in an Erlenmeyer flask.

a. What mass of hydrogen gas was generated?

b. Aft er the reaction, what was the concentration of zinc chloride, ZnCl2(aq), in the fl ask?

Again I honestly have no idea what to do for this problem, I don't even know how to start...

Physics news on Phys.org
One step at a time: mixing "run-on" notation with conventional notation is a no-no. 0.031 moles? Maybe. 18.4 l? No.

What's the "molecular mass" for hydrogen?

Bystander said:
One step at a time: mixing "run-on" notation with conventional notation is a no-no. 0.031 moles? Maybe. 18.4 l? No.

What's the "molecular mass" for hydrogen?

What do you mean by "run on" notation? and H=1.01g/mol

Make sure you take into account that hydrogen is a diatomic gas H2 so the molecular mass for hydrogen is 2.02 amu

htrrht said:
A piece of iron was added to a beaker that contained 0.585 mol/L copper(II) sulfate, CuSO4(aq). The solid copper that precipitated was dried, and its mass was found to be 5.02 g. Some unreacted iron remained in the beaker. Calculate the minimum volume of the copper(II) sulfate solution.

How many moles of copper were produced?

How many moles of copper sulfate were needed for that?

What volume of 0.585 M copper sulfate solution contains this number of moles?

What is stoichiometry?

Stoichiometry is the calculation of the quantities of reactants and products involved in a chemical reaction based on the balanced equation.

What is a concentration problem in stoichiometry?

A concentration problem in stoichiometry involves determining the concentration of a solution or the amount of a solute needed to make a certain concentration of a solution.

What is the formula for solving an easy stoichiometry concentration problem?

The formula for solving an easy stoichiometry concentration problem is: C1V1 = C2V2, where C1 is the initial concentration, V1 is the initial volume, C2 is the final concentration, and V2 is the final volume.

How do I convert between different units of concentration?

To convert between different units of concentration, you can use the formula: C1V1 = C2V2, where C1 and C2 are the initial and final concentrations, respectively, and V1 and V2 are the initial and final volumes, respectively. Make sure to use the same units for both concentrations and volumes.

What are some tips for solving an easy stoichiometry concentration problem?

Some tips for solving an easy stoichiometry concentration problem include: making sure the equation is balanced, using the correct units for concentration and volume, and double-checking your calculations. It can also be helpful to write out all the given information and use a table to organize your calculations.