Help w/ Molarity Question Related to a CuSO4 Solution

In summary, we have a question on my daughter's homework I'm trying to help with and there is a part of it we have not been able to find support for to get to the answer. We believe we've been able to answer parts "a" and "b" correctly, however, we're having trouble answering part "c" and were looking form some help!
ptownbro
Please post this type of questions in HW section using the template.
We have a question on my daughter's homework I'm trying to help with and there is a part of it we have not been able to find support for to get to the answer. See below. We believe we've been able to answer parts "a" and "b" correctly, however, we're having trouble answering part "c" and were looking form some help!

Questions: 35.0 mL of CuSO4 solution contains .0180 moles of solute.

a) What is the morality?
(0.018 moles / 35 mL) * (1000 mL / 1 L) = 5.143 moles/L = 5.143 M

b) What mass of CuSO4 is present?
(35 mL) * ( 1 L / 1000 mL) * (1 mol / 22.4 L) * (159.609 g / 1 mol) = .2493g

c) If 5.0 mL of this solution is diluted to 75 ml, what is the new concentration of CuSO4? Of Cu+2? Of SO4-2?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We have two questions related to this:

1) Did we solve the sub-part 1 of this question correctly?
We've interpreted this to mean that: Instead of a 35.0 mL solution we now have 5.0 mL solution and we'll be finding the concentration (morality) based on this 5.0 mL alone. Then, some kind of solvent (not given) was combined with some unknown solute (not given) to dilute the 5.0 mL to 75.0 mL. So, what we did was apply the ratio from part "a" as below:

(75 mL / 35 mL) * 5.143 M = 11.0207

I assumed that we 1) the quantity and make up of the solute is the same from part "a" and 2) therefore we could use the morality from part "a" and it's relative ratio to solve the new morality

2) What the heck do we do with ions in sub-parts 2 and 3? We have no clue how these even relate this a molarity or a stoichiometry type question.

Physics news on Phys.org
ptownbro said:
a) What is the morality?
(0.018 moles / 35 mL) * (1000 mL / 1 L) = 5.143 moles/L = 5.143 M
Watch your decimal, and try it again.
ptownbro said:
b) What mass of CuSO4 is present?
(35 mL) * ( 1 L / 1000 mL) * (1 mol / 22.4 L) * (159.609 g / 1 mol) = .2493g
How many moles? (Given in part a) What's the molecular mass? Multiply. 22.4 L is volume of an ideal gas --- are there any ideal gases in this problem?

Decimal mistake in part (a). Correct molarity is 0.5143 M for the cupric sulfate.

The question part (c) dilution uses 0.005 liters of 0.5143 moles per liter copper sulfate and becomes according to description, a volume of 0.075 liters. You can now compute the new "moles per liter" or molarity.

ptownbro said:
What the heck do we do with ions in sub-parts 2 and 3?

One molecule of Na2CO3 dissociates into 2Na+ and CO32-. That means 1 mole/liter solution of Na2CO3 contains 2 moles/liter Na+ and 1 mole/liter CO32-. Do you see it now?

Ah yes. For part a, the decimal point was off.

For part b, there is no mention of ideal gas but most of his questions are at STP (teacher is not constituent in his wording). Are you saying /implying we should have used the moles from part aa instead of the 22.4L as the basis of our clac? That makes sense if that's what you meant.

ptownbro said:
That makes sense if that's what you meant.
You got it.

Likes ptownbro
Borek said:
One molecule of Na2CO3 dissociates into 2Na+ and CO32-. That means 1 mole/liter solution of Na2CO3 contains 2 moles/liter Na+ and 1 mole/liter CO32-. Do you see it now?

Yes and no. =) I now get how Na2CO3 can break up into those ions, however, I would of thought that type of disassociation would apply to the solute not the solution. In other words, (conceptually) I thought the solute would dissolve (which I assumed is disassociation) and break up into those two ions. The solution on the other hand is not broken apart.

Forgive me if I am using the terms wrong... I work in finance so chemistry is not my thing. =)

And you are right - solution doesn't break apart, it just gets diluted.

Copper sulfate was there already dissociated (it dissociated the moment it was dissolved) and it doesn't dissociate further. When you add more water all that happens is that concentrations go down.

However, you seemed to be confused about the ions in the solution (part c of the problem), hence my explanation.

Likes ptownbro
Thanks everyone for your help.

1. What is molarity?

Molarity is a unit of concentration that measures the number of moles of a solute in a liter of solution. It is represented by the symbol M and is commonly used in chemistry to express the strength of a solution.

2. How do you calculate molarity?

Molarity can be calculated by dividing the number of moles of solute by the volume of the solution in liters. The formula for molarity is M = moles of solute / liters of solution.

3. What is the molarity of a CuSO4 solution?

The molarity of a CuSO4 solution depends on the number of moles of CuSO4 dissolved in a liter of solution. This can be determined by dividing the mass of CuSO4 by its molar mass and then dividing that by the volume of the solution in liters.

4. How do you prepare a specific molarity of CuSO4 solution?

To prepare a specific molarity of CuSO4 solution, you will need to know the desired molarity and the volume of solution you want to make. Then, you can use the formula M = moles of solute / liters of solution to calculate the amount of CuSO4 needed and dissolve it in the appropriate amount of solvent to make the desired volume of solution.

5. How does molarity affect the properties of a solution?

Molarity affects the properties of a solution because it is a measure of the concentration of a solute. As the molarity of a solution increases, the number of particles of solute in the solution also increases, which can impact factors such as density, boiling point, and freezing point.