Easy tool to see a cross section?

In summary, the program MeshMagic 3D does not allow you to draw a cross-section of an oval tube at angles up to 60 degrees. There is a proposed cut line displayed in a photo editor program.
pyroartist
TL;DR Summary
Looking for a way to visualize cross sections.
I need to visualize what the cross section is of an oval tube is at angles of 10 degrees, 20, 30 up to 60. Is there an easy way to do this online somewhere or is there a mechanical drawing trick that can be done to see this result?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Here is the way I would do it.
oval.jpg
oval.jpg

AZFIREBALL said:
Here is the way I would do it.
View attachment 257263View attachment 257263
Thanks AZFIREBALL. This looks like it might work for me if I can understand it all. I will have to lay this out on graph paper. I am not sure what the right figure is. Can you expand on which drawing is what?

Lnewqban said:
Not exactly your cross section, but it may help some:
https://rechneronline.de/pi/cut-cylindrical-shell.php
Thanks, this site is amazing. It sure does have lots of choices here. Just not the one I am looking for. I did plot the ellipse I need. It has an axial ratio of 2.2. But no way to see what an angled slice through it would look like.
I am plotting the airflow across an elliptical tube at an angle.
Is there someone here who knows how to do this in a basic drawing program? The only one I have is SketchUp 2013.

pyroartist said:
You need to be more specific and give a sketch of the tube and the direction of flow relative the tube and angled end cut orientation

pyroartist said:
Thanks, this site is amazing.
You are welcome. :smile:
Is this a solution to a practical problem?
If so, and if you don't find that tool, we could help you with some practical solutions after seeing some specifics of that project.
For example, will you need to cut the tubes at certain angles, what tool will you use, what material and dimensions of tubes are, etc.?

pyroartist said:
Is there someone here who knows how to do this in a basic drawing program?
Well, not me... But here is a 3D drawing/editing/viewing program I just stumbled across that happens to be free... it's even from an established supplier.
https://www.nchsoftware.com/meshmagic3d/index.html

Cheers,
Tom

p.s. Sorry about my earlier post #4, I mis-interpreted your requirements!

JBA said:
You need to be more specific and give a sketch of the tube and the direction of flow relative the tube and angled end cut orientation
Ok, here is a sketch attached.
Oval tube cuts.jpg

Tom, thanks for the link to the MeshMagic software. I loaded it and played with it for over an hour. I don't figure these things out easily. I finally got to draw a 3D oval tube as shown below but I don't see any way that this program will allow me to cut a cross-section and look at that cut as a 2D face. I added a proposed cut line to the screen shot with my photo editor program.
Oval tube dwg.jpg

I don't have the program and the site documentation is sparse. They also have a pay version of the program (about which I also know nothing), that may have documentation.

If the program can do slices in arbitrary planes, that would be the simplest.

Can the program do intersections of objects? For instance have the oval tube pass thru a wall (flat plane) then inspect the shape of the result. Perhaps the tube should be a solid for this approach so the area on the plane can be subtracted, thereby showing a hole of the desired shape.

Here is a real 'out-of-the-box' idea: If you have a projector, slide or video, project the oval on a screen then rotate the screen to the desired angle.

The projection problem seems similar to projecting a shape on a display. If you assume the display is a CRT it's a little easier to think about projecting onto the screen face. This is a solved problem in computer graphics that is used in 3-D design programs. You would angle the tube as needed then move the observer viewpoint to the inside of the tube.

There is probably a straight-forward mathematical approach to the problem. Perhaps one of the math wizards on the site can come up with one.

Cheers,
Tom

1. What is a cross section?

A cross section is a 2-dimensional representation of a 3-dimensional object, showing what the object would look like if it were sliced through at a certain point.

2. Why is it important to be able to see a cross section of an object?

Being able to see a cross section of an object allows us to better understand its internal structure and properties. This can be useful in fields such as engineering, geology, and biology.

3. How can I create a cross section of an object?

There are various tools and methods for creating a cross section, depending on the type of object and the level of detail needed. One common method is to use a cutting tool, such as a saw or knife, to physically slice through the object. Another method is to use computer software to digitally create a cross section.

4. Can a cross section be used to measure the dimensions of an object?

Yes, a cross section can be used to measure the dimensions of an object in a specific plane. However, it is important to note that the measurements may not be completely accurate, as they are based on a 2-dimensional representation of a 3-dimensional object.

5. Are there any limitations to using a cross section to understand an object?

Yes, there are limitations to using a cross section to understand an object. It may not accurately represent the entire object, as some features may be hidden or distorted in the cross section. Additionally, the cross section may not show the object's behavior under certain conditions, such as stress or movement.