Ecliptic Longitude and Right Ascension of the Sun

In summary, where the ecliptic longitude and the right ascension (of the Sun) reach their maximum difference is every four years. These events happen on different calendar dates, but I know for a fact that they happen on May 31st 2009. The equation for these events is f=\lambda-\alpha, where f is the difference between the two coordinates. To find the declination, sin d = sin \lambda sin \epsilon. This equation is too easy to be correct, and it's a dead giveaway that the problem lies with it.
Helios
Here's a question. Where do the ecliptic longitude and the right ascension ( of the Sun )reach their maximum difference? What is the declination for these events? What calendar dates do you suppose this happens? I know the answer. I've never heard anyone make this observation except me. These events don't even have a name?! We can even name them here and now for the first time!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
What are you saying? Ecliptic longitude is measured on one great circle, and right ascension on another one. The sun travels the ecliptic in non-uniform way strictly speaking due to eccentricity of the orbit. Let's say its about a degree a day. Then, sun's coordinate point on the equator also travels like a shadowy projection. If obliquity was really big, the speed on the equator of that point (defined by intersection of great circle containing north celestial pole P and the sun) travels a little quicker starting from gamma point, then slower, then quicker and there I give up. What is the difference between the two?

OK, here's a hint. The relationship between the two is

[tex]tan \alpha = tan \lambda cos \epsilon[/tex]

Right Ascension ( alpha )
Ecliptic Longitude ( lambda )
Obilquity Angle ( epsilon ) = 23.439°

Find where [tex]\lambda - \alpha[/tex] reaches the maximum ( 4 times per year ).

I wrote all equations for triangle declination-ascension-longitude but I don't know what to do next.
sin(alpha)=cos(e)sin(lambda)
Right? Lambda is changing at constant rate (pretend), alpha is whatever.

That's not it.
write
[tex]f = \lambda - \alpha = \lambda - arctan( tan\lambda cos\epsilon)[/tex]

then find [tex]df/d\lambda[/tex]
set this to zero to find maximum
then values for [tex]\lambda[/tex]
and [tex]\alpha[/tex] will follow.

Helios said:
That's not it.
write
[tex]f = \lambda - \alpha = \lambda - arctan( tan\lambda cos\epsilon)[/tex]

then find [tex]df/d\lambda[/tex]
set this to zero to find maximum
then values for [tex]\lambda[/tex]
and [tex]\alpha[/tex] will follow.

I haven't reverse engineered your equation, normally I'd trust it but it seems more complicated than necessary. I used program "Derive" to solve the first differential as an equation but all solutions seem to be complex! It appears absurdly complicated.

Clearly, equator and ecliptic are two great circles on same sphere at an angle. Great circle ecliptic_poles-sun is rotating and so is celestial_poles-sun circle which is tracing sun on equator and recording declination. All 3 coordinates are one-on-one and one on date of tropical year (short term). Hence let's see the tables with numbers...

...and I get

for l=0 to 360
RA=acos[cos(l) / asin( sin(e)sin(l) )]

May 31st 2009, angular difference worth almost 2.5 degrees. How about that?

Well, the month is right, but you're still cold

I protest! First its irrelevant thing to know. Second I didn't design these awful arc sine functions.

Irrelevant? It's not irrelevant. Know that there's an "Equation of Time" that corrects sundial time to local mean time. The Sun runs fast or slow compared the mean time. Should we correct for obliquity, we must know
[tex]\lambda- \alpha[/tex]
The fact that it has extrema should be interesting to any calculus student. Oh well.

So there's another feature of these same points!
Firstly, Ecliptic Slope (sigma) is related to declination by
[tex]cos\epsilon = cos d cos\sigma[/tex]

Find where the declination equals the ecliptic slope or the negative of the ecliptic slope.
Then use
[tex]sin d = sin \lambda sin \epsilon[/tex]

This approach is too easy, a dead give-away to the problem.

What is the difference between ecliptic longitude and right ascension?

Ecliptic longitude is the angular distance along the ecliptic plane from the vernal equinox to the point where the ecliptic intersects with a planet or celestial object. Right ascension, on the other hand, is the angular distance along the celestial equator from the vernal equinox to the point where the celestial object intersects with the equator. Essentially, ecliptic longitude is measured along the plane of the Earth's orbit, while right ascension is measured along the celestial equator.

How are ecliptic longitude and right ascension calculated?

Ecliptic longitude is calculated using the ecliptic coordinates of a celestial object, which is its position along the ecliptic plane. Right ascension is calculated using the equatorial coordinates of a celestial object, which is its position along the celestial equator. Both coordinates are measured in degrees, with 360 degrees representing a full circle.

What is the significance of ecliptic longitude and right ascension?

Ecliptic longitude and right ascension are important coordinates used to locate and track the position of celestial objects in the sky. They are also used in astronomical calculations and observations, such as determining the seasons and predicting eclipses.

Do ecliptic longitude and right ascension change over time?

Yes, both ecliptic longitude and right ascension change over time due to the Earth's rotation and its orbit around the Sun. The rate of change varies depending on the celestial object's distance from the Earth and its motion in the sky.

Can you determine the current ecliptic longitude and right ascension of the Sun?

Yes, the current ecliptic longitude and right ascension of the Sun can be determined using astronomical tables or software. As the Sun's position changes throughout the year, its ecliptic longitude and right ascension will also change accordingly.