Economics Price Elasticity of Demand

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about price elasticity of demand where the given elasticity is a positive value, which is unusual but possible for some goods. The person is considering challenging the question and is seeking clarification on the concept and its application in the question. The conversation also mentions that most goods have a negative elasticity, but some have a positive one.
Hodgey8806

Homework Statement

So, my professor gave a test this weekend. I missed a problem concerning price elasticity of demand, but that's only because I assumed the opposite direction.

Now, I'm considering challenging this question, because the price elasticity was listed as a positive number.

Homework Equations

Ep = (delta-Q)/(delta-P)*(P/Q)

The Attempt at a Solution

I realize that most goods have a negative elasticity. BUT, that negative wasn't represented in this question.
Thus I said it would lead to an increase. By definition of the formula, it should've been negative. Correct??

Physics news on Phys.org
Hodgey8806 said:

Homework Statement

So, my professor gave a test this weekend. I missed a problem concerning price elasticity of demand, but that's only because I assumed the opposite direction.

Now, I'm considering challenging this question, because the price elasticity was listed as a positive number.

Homework Equations

Ep = (delta-Q)/(delta-P)*(P/Q)

The Attempt at a Solution

I realize that most goods have a negative elasticity. BUT, that negative wasn't represented in this question.
Thus I said it would lead to an increase. By definition of the formula, it should've been negative. Correct??

What did the question actually say? Of course, most goods have a negative PE, but some have a positive PE. The correctness of an answer depends on the question asked.

Ray Vickson said:
What did the question actually say? Of course, most goods have a negative PE, but some have a positive PE. The correctness of an answer depends on the question asked.

If the value of price elasticity of demand is 0.2, it implies that a 1 percent increase in price leads to a:

Again, I know that technically I'm right.
I just don't like an environment where the validity of a question depends on my supposition of what "most" cases are.

Hodgey8806 said:
If the value of price elasticity of demand is 0.2, it implies that a 1 percent increase in price leads to a:

Again, I know that technically I'm right.
I just don't like an environment where the validity of a question depends on my supposition of what "most" cases are.

Technically, it does not matter whether or not most goods have a negative ED; you were GIVEN a positive ED and asked to go on from there. Just using the definition should give you everything you need. Even if 99.9% of the goods in this world have a negative ED that does not affect the question here.

Hello.

Price elasticity of demand is a numerical measure of the responsiveness of demand given/following a change in price. Use the simple formula:

[tex] PED = \frac{Percentage change in quantity demanded}{Percentage change in price}[/tex]

We know that goods which follow the law of demand, all price elasticities are always negative, but one can leave it as positive. Most textbooks and exams leave it as positive.

ZtjsxOh.png

Only veblen and giffen goods do not follow the law of demand, and hence have a positive PED. Have you read Greg Mankiws microeconomics? :) A more advanced book with lots of examples and applications is
Pindyck and rubenfiled microeconomics.
Usually it would be mentioned if they were Veblen or Giffen goods. These are goods in which quantity demanded increases given/following an increase in price. Their QD have a direct relationship with price. But if you are studying the basics I don't think they would be included.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_elasticity_of_demand
"Although the PED is negative for the vast majority of goods and services, economists often refer to price elasticity of demand as a positive value (i.e., in absolute value terms).[4]"

Is absolute value what people mean when they say the value? kind of like magnitude?

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
Technically, it does not matter whether or not most goods have a negative ED; you were GIVEN a positive ED and asked to go on from there. Just using the definition should give you everything you need. Even if 99.9% of the goods in this world have a negative ED that does not affect the question here.

Gracias. Thanks for confirming. That's how I felt; it was a positive Ed. I have a few other questions I need to bring up with my professor as well. The questions are poorly worded, quite frankly

Hodgey8806 said:
Gracias. Thanks for confirming. That's how I felt; it was a positive Ed. I have a few other questions I need to bring up with my professor as well. The questions are poorly worded, quite frankly

Certainly it is ambiguous.

1. What is price elasticity of demand?

Price elasticity of demand is a measure of the responsiveness of consumer demand to changes in the price of a product. It indicates the percentage change in quantity demanded for a product in response to a 1% change in its price.

2. How is price elasticity of demand calculated?

Price elasticity of demand is calculated by dividing the percentage change in quantity demanded by the percentage change in price. The resulting value is the elasticity coefficient, which can be either positive or negative.

3. What does a high price elasticity of demand indicate?

A high price elasticity of demand (greater than 1) indicates that a small change in price leads to a relatively larger change in quantity demanded. This means that the demand for the product is highly responsive to changes in price, and consumers are likely to switch to alternative products if the price increases.

4. What factors affect price elasticity of demand?

The main factors that affect price elasticity of demand are the availability of substitutes, the necessity of the product, and the proportion of a consumer's income spent on the product. Products with readily available substitutes, non-essential items, and a small portion of a consumer's income spent on them tend to have higher price elasticity of demand.

5. Why is price elasticity of demand important?

Price elasticity of demand is important for businesses and policymakers to understand because it affects pricing strategies, revenue, and consumer behavior. A highly elastic demand for a product means that a small change in price can lead to a significant change in sales, while a low elasticity means that price changes have a minimal impact on demand.