Eddy currents in electromagnetic train

In summary: Ampère's Law and Eddy Currents" shows the setupIn summary, the individual is asking for help with their setup involving permanent magnets and a battery, which creates an electromagnetic field. They are unsure if their approach is correct and have included pictures for better understanding. They provide an explanation of how the setup works and ask for corrections or suggestions.
Einstein44
Homework Statement
I am currently working on a physics project, where I am experimenting with a small electromagnetic train (can look up on YouTube), which is basically a battery with magnets on either side moving through a bare copper coil.

My aim is to determine the effect on the average velocity of the train by increasing the magnetic field as I increase the magnets on the train (and therefore also its weight). Thats where I came across eddy currents and I wasn't really able to find out how it would affect this train, as I couldn't find much on eddy currents on the internet.

Now my question is if there would be eddy currents that would affect the velocity of this train as I increase the magnetic field and how it would change it, as well as how I could calculate this.
Relevant Equations
Magnitude of eddy currents: I= -1/R × dΦB/dt

Eddy Current loss: We = (Ie)^2 x Rcore
where We= Eddy current loss
Ie= Eddy Current
Re= Resistance of core
I know that the magnitude of the eddy currents is proportional to the magnetic field, which means it should increase as I add more magnets. However I am unsure if this approach is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Can you attach some drawings or pictures of your setup? I think we will need to see it visually in order to help. Also, it sounds like your electromagnets on the train are DC, correct? Or is there a mix of electromagnets and permanent magnets?

The magnets I am using are permanent magnets (neodymium magnets), which become electromagnets due to the voltage from the battery they are attached to (if I am not mistaken that this would be called an electromagnet).

The way this work is that the magnets on either side of the battery touch the wire and create a complete circuit. This means electrons flow out one side of the battery, through the coil and back in the other side of the battery.
When electrons travel through a conductive wire, they generate a magnetic field. The poles of the magnetic field generated by the coiled wire are positioned so that the magnet on one side of the battery is pulled (N/S) and the other side is repelled (N/N), creating a forward motion. (please correct me if this explanation is not correct, but this should give you a better idea)

I will attach some pictures below to better visualise the setup.
tempImageEJrURw.png

1. What are eddy currents in an electromagnetic train?

Eddy currents are swirling currents induced in a conductor, such as the metal tracks of an electromagnetic train, when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field. These currents create their own magnetic field, which opposes the original magnetic field and causes resistance and energy loss in the conductor.

2. How do eddy currents affect the speed of an electromagnetic train?

Eddy currents can slow down the speed of an electromagnetic train by creating resistance in the metal tracks. This resistance results in energy loss, which can decrease the efficiency and speed of the train.

3. Can eddy currents be reduced or eliminated in an electromagnetic train?

Yes, eddy currents can be reduced or eliminated in an electromagnetic train by using materials with lower electrical conductivity for the tracks, such as aluminum or carbon fiber. These materials have less resistance to eddy currents and can help improve the efficiency and speed of the train.

4. Are there any benefits of eddy currents in an electromagnetic train?

While eddy currents can cause energy loss and slow down the speed of an electromagnetic train, they also have some benefits. Eddy currents help to stabilize the train and prevent it from derailing, as well as provide a braking force that can be controlled and used to slow down the train.

5. How do eddy currents impact the design of an electromagnetic train?

Eddy currents play a crucial role in the design of an electromagnetic train. Engineers must carefully consider the materials used for the tracks and the design of the train to minimize the effects of eddy currents and ensure the train operates efficiently and safely.