Editors of academic journals - Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of submitting a paper to a journal and the role of a reviewer in recommending revisions. It also touches on the topic of managing editors and the reasons for their frequent changes. The main point is that as a reviewer, one has the right to recommend revisions and the final decision lies with the journal.
womfalcs3
What does it mean when a journal constantly changes managing editors for a revised submission?

A journal initially handed down a minor revision for a paper. I became a reviewer after the revision was complete, and saw many shortcomings or mistakes, so I recommended a major revision. It's been a month since I gave my comments, and now the managing editor of the paper keeps changing...

I first thought, "Oh boy, can I recommend major revisions after the journal already decided minor revision of the first submission?"

Physics news on Phys.org
As a reviewer asked to review a paper, you have the right to recommend however you see fit (provided it's coming from an objective and honest assessment of the work, without any conflicts of interest).

The journal will then take that assessment into account on any final decision. If the managing editor changes, it could be for any number of reasons - best not to read too much into it.

Likes berkeman
womfalcs3 said:
I first thought, "Oh boy, can I recommend major revisions after the journal already decided minor revision of the first submission?"

You can recommend whatever you like. What the editor does with this recommendation is her decision.

womfalcs3 said:
What does it mean when a journal constantly changes managing editors for a revised submission?

I'm sure it's not you.

Likes berkeman

What is the role of editors of academic journals?

Editors of academic journals are responsible for overseeing the publication process of a scholarly journal. This includes selecting and reviewing manuscripts, deciding which articles to publish, and ensuring that the journal maintains high standards of quality and integrity.

How do editors choose which articles to publish?

Editors use a peer review process to determine which articles are suitable for publication in their journal. This involves sending the manuscript to experts in the field for their evaluation and feedback. The editors then use this feedback to make a decision on whether to accept, reject, or request revisions for the article.

What criteria do editors look for in a manuscript?

Editors look for several key criteria when evaluating a manuscript for publication. These include the originality and significance of the research, the clarity and coherence of the writing, the adherence to the journal's scope and guidelines, and the potential impact of the article on the field of study.

How long does the peer review process take?

The peer review process can vary in length, but it typically takes several weeks to several months. This depends on the availability of peer reviewers, the complexity of the research, and the speed of communication between the authors and editors.

Do editors make any changes to the manuscript?

Editors may make minor changes to a manuscript, such as correcting spelling or grammar errors, but they do not make significant changes to the content without the author's approval. Any major changes or revisions to the manuscript are typically discussed with the author and agreed upon before publication.