Education sequence->bachelors to masters or bachelors to PhD

In summary, the conversation discusses the trend in the STEM field of skipping the masters program and going straight from a bachelors degree to a PhD. It is common in the United States, but in other parts of the world, a masters degree is typically completed before pursuing a PhD.
mmont012
Hello All,

I am confused about something, and I am hoping that someone can clear this up! The more that I talk to people in "STEM" fields, the more it seems that their education sequence is to go from bachelors to PhD and they just skip the masters entirely.
Is this common? Or am I just meeting/talking with a select few?
If it is common, what happened to the masters program?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
mmont012 said:
Hello All,

I am confused about something, and I am hoping that someone can clear this up! The more that I talk to people in "STEM" fields, the more it seems that their education sequence is to go from bachelors to PhD and they just skip the masters entirely.
Is this common? Or am I just meeting/talking with a select few?
If it is common, what happened to the masters program?

Thank you!

In the states most do the bachelors to PhD route.
In Europe and elsewhere they tend do bachelors to masters and then masters to PhD.

1. What is the difference between a bachelor's and master's degree in terms of education sequence?

A bachelor's degree is typically a four-year undergraduate program, while a master's degree is a graduate-level program that requires a bachelor's degree as a prerequisite. In terms of education sequence, a bachelor's degree is usually the first step in pursuing higher education, and a master's degree is a continuation of that education with a more specialized focus.

2. Can I go straight from a bachelor's degree to a PhD program?

Yes, it is possible to go directly from a bachelor's degree to a PhD program, but it is not common. Most PhD programs require a master's degree as a prerequisite, although some may offer combined bachelor's/master's programs.

3. Which degree should I pursue first, a master's or a PhD?

It depends on your career goals and personal preferences. A master's degree may be more beneficial for those looking to gain practical skills and enter the workforce, while a PhD is typically pursued by those interested in research and academia.

4. How long does it take to complete a bachelor's to master's education sequence?

The length of time to complete a bachelor's to master's education sequence can vary depending on the program and individual circumstances. On average, it takes about 5-6 years to complete both degrees.

5. What are the benefits of pursuing a bachelor's to PhD education sequence?

Pursuing a bachelor's to PhD education sequence allows for a more seamless transition from undergraduate to graduate studies. It also allows for a more focused and in-depth education in a specific field, and can lead to more career opportunities in research and academia.