EE - Graduate School as Backup

In summary, it is okay to be upfront and say you are applying to the masters program instead of looking for a job, but it is better to be honest about your reasons.
bleach2015
I am an electrical engineering student who will be graduating in the spring. I had previously wanted to join the workforce after graduation, but the job search has not gone well for me... So now, I am thinking of applying to the masters program at my own school (which has a later deadline) if I cannot get meaningful employment.

The concern is that I have to find a professor right now and that I still want to go work if offered an EE related job. I am wondering on how I should approach the professor. Should I be straightforward saying this is a backup option for me, or should I not mention this at all? If the latter, would it look very bad for me to ditch before September if I had found a job? Fellow professors, do you have any advice on how you would like students to approach you for a masters?

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
In all cases I am familiar with, when you are applying to grad school all you are doing is applying. You are not making a commitment to go if accepted. Likewise when you go for a job interview. Is there some reason why this may be different for your situation?

jason

jasonRF said:
In all cases I am familiar with, when you are applying to grad school all you are doing is applying. You are not making a commitment to go if accepted. Likewise when you go for a job interview. Is there some reason why this may be different for your situation?

jason

My department offers a graduate student scholarship and needs a professor to write me a reference letter. I believe most people usually pick their (future) supervisor to write it, so I don't want to ask them to write it and then later drop them a surprise by leaving.

That is very considerate of you. But it's really acceptable for everyone if your first priority in this phase is your own interest. Even for a potential supervisor. My estimate is you're better off with a supervisor who knows, understands and accepts, than with a supervisor who doesn't know. And who might feel treated badly in case.

There's another side to this: you might well enjoy the broader perspective and the deeper understanding that comes with studying at master level. If you explain your current doubts, perhaps the professor you approach can help you to better weigh the pros and cons !

Related to EE - Graduate School as Backup

What is "EE - Graduate School as Backup"?

"EE - Graduate School as Backup" refers to the practice of pursuing a graduate degree in electrical engineering as a backup plan in case one is unable to find a job after completing their undergraduate degree in the same field.

Why would someone consider graduate school as a backup plan?

Some individuals may choose to pursue graduate school as a backup plan because they are unable to secure a job in their desired field after completing their undergraduate degree. Others may view a graduate degree as a way to gain additional skills and knowledge that could make them more competitive in the job market.

What are the benefits of pursuing graduate school as a backup plan?

The main benefit of pursuing graduate school as a backup plan is having a higher level of education and qualifications, which can make job candidates more competitive in the job market. Additionally, graduate school can provide opportunities for networking, research experience, and specialized training in a particular area of electrical engineering.

Are there any drawbacks to pursuing graduate school as a backup plan?

One potential drawback is the additional time and financial commitment required for graduate school. It may also delay entering the workforce and starting a career. Additionally, there is no guarantee that a graduate degree will lead to a job in the desired field.

How can one determine if pursuing graduate school as a backup plan is the right decision for them?

It is important for individuals to carefully consider their personal and career goals, as well as their financial situation, before deciding to pursue graduate school as a backup plan. Doing research on the job market and speaking with professionals in the field can also help in making an informed decision. Ultimately, it is a personal decision and what may be right for one person may not be the best option for another.