How Does an Inhibitor Affect Enzyme Kinetics?

• Thread starter leopard
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about calculating Vmax and KM with and without an inhibitor and determining the type of inhibitor. The speaker had plotted a graph and found a value for KM that was different from what was stated in the book, but the other person reassured them that the book may contain errors. The type of inhibitor was determined to be noncompetitive.
leopard
2pzy4xh.jpg

I'm asked to calculate Vmax and KM from this, with and without the inhibior, and answer what kind of inhibitor it is.

I have plotted 1/ vs 1/V0 here:

2ekrrz9.jpg

The x-intercept is -1/KM. The value I get is -1/KM=-4E4, so that KM=25E-6. Does this mean that KM=25E-6 M? My book says 20-24 M. Of course, I might have been unaccurate in drawing the graph, but why do I miss by a factor of 1E6?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe the book says (20-24)uM (micromolar)?

But at your level I have some news for you, part bad part good.

The bad news is sometimes books are wrong. Contain slips. Misprints. That the author does not pick up - can be quite hard to see when you read you own thing.

The good news is you are sometimes right. :smile:

Last edited:
Am I right this time?

Looks right to me.:approve: Of course I could be wrong.:biggrin:

What is your answer to the other part of the question, type of inhibitor?

Noncompetitive.

leopard said:
Noncompetitive.

Right

Related to How Does an Inhibitor Affect Enzyme Kinetics?

1. What is an inhibitor and how does it affect enzymes?

An inhibitor is a substance that binds to an enzyme and decreases its activity. It can do this by either blocking the active site of the enzyme or altering its shape, making it unable to bind to its substrate. This results in a decrease in the rate of enzyme-catalyzed reactions.

2. What is the mechanism of inhibition?

The mechanism of inhibition depends on the type of inhibitor. Competitive inhibitors bind to the active site of the enzyme and compete with the substrate for binding. Non-competitive inhibitors bind to a different site on the enzyme, causing a change in its shape and reducing its activity. Uncompetitive inhibitors bind only to the enzyme-substrate complex, preventing the reaction from proceeding.

3. How does the concentration of inhibitor affect enzyme activity?

The concentration of inhibitor directly affects the rate of enzyme activity. As the concentration of inhibitor increases, the rate of enzyme activity decreases. This is because more inhibitor molecules are available to bind to the enzyme, resulting in a higher chance of inhibition.

4. What is the difference between reversible and irreversible inhibition?

Reversible inhibition is when the inhibitor can dissociate from the enzyme, allowing the enzyme to regain its activity. Irreversible inhibition occurs when the inhibitor permanently binds to the enzyme, rendering it inactive. This can be caused by irreversible inhibitors covalently binding to the enzyme or by the enzyme being denatured by the inhibitor.

5. How can the effect of an inhibitor on enzyme activity be measured?

The effect of an inhibitor on enzyme activity can be measured by conducting enzyme assays. This involves measuring the rate of enzyme-catalyzed reactions in the presence and absence of the inhibitor. The difference in the rate of reaction between the two conditions represents the effect of the inhibitor on enzyme activity.