Redundant network design and how it affects subnetting?

In summary: Additionally, you would need to assign unique IP addresses to each device in the network to avoid conflicts.
shivajikobardan
Considering these factors, propose a redundant network design architecture in hierarchical form for a bank having four departments namely HR(20 pcs), marketing(20 pcs), finance(45 pcs), IT (30 pcs). Each department has managed its own DHCP server. IT department has managed FTP server, HTTP server, and DNS server as well. Use suitable L1,L2, and L3 devices, physical wires, patch cords, patch panels and wireles access points.

A) Requirement analysis-:
HR=20+1=21
Marketing=20+1=21
Finance=45+1=46
IT=30+1+3=34

B) Components required-:

=> What does L1, L2 and L3 signify here? I bet they’re trying to say about core, distribution and access (they could be saying about physical, data link and network layer as well but that’s unlikely as they’re talking about “L1,L2,L3+physical wire”)

C) Subnetting-:
Major network ip address=202.53.69.0/24

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/gqB46PqT0D_0d54fPPHXlvhW7k_QqhtQMaShRkGTOyYY1B82uDUJuOonyn9W4tve1-m-loTC9mhbMmzqyDmidea3iA8aeKkrGqC_OCIDW_7wJSgUHDbw3ROca9SEFtwumTFZYnTjHIwTVdNsf-k

D) https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/J50bwl6nB1yvhuy0AgF2laeyUct2QH8of1RwsA7yl7HjsyIyLacTePl3QE481BrapTMwADE0ko_l_jABhE_9gJXV5e-_RHnBeX-NopBM2FUYzcMkdXYgyKMTnKFCOcXhmk9GruuUqh0idXfsEdc

This is the network. But ofc this is not redundant.
1) What are the basic things that I should do to make this redundant?
=> the below figure is pretty redundant and cost effective imo. It looks good like core, distribution,access as well.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/YIP9uV6V6aB5ub-51oWfoSAs71U2Wb3W9FHvazvyU6Arrn7i49WNokd_m5RlRMgaT9v2yZsWdjBqPER1_YiyuFnrAs0BW4lT6vR6nM6SAM7teYkpdiARDOWkGWEDiR1JhDFZ9q2HGgp9Z7F1Db8
You could propose your own design and ignore mine.
How do I manage subnetting for redundant design? Or should I ignore it? What I am saying is since there are 2 switches, I need 2 ip addresses for them. I think I need the ip address to be unique each switch. Similarly for 2 core routers, I’d need 2 different major network ip address.

How’d that affect subnetting?

Technology news on Phys.org
=> Subnetting is still applicable in a redundant design. In this case, you would need to assign two separate subnets for each of the switches, core routers, and DHCP servers. You would also need to ensure that the subnets are not overlapping. For example, if the major network IP address is 202.53.69.0/24, you could assign two separate subnets as 202.53.69.0/25 and 202.53.69.128/25. The first subnet would be used for the switches, the second subnet would be used for the core routers, and the third subnet would be used for the DHCP servers.

1. What is a redundant network design and why is it important for subnetting?

A redundant network design is a network topology that includes multiple backup paths and connections between devices. This helps ensure that if one path or connection fails, the network can still function properly through an alternate path. This is important for subnetting because it allows for efficient and reliable communication between subnets, even in the event of a failure.

2. How does redundant network design affect subnetting in terms of performance?

Redundant network design can greatly improve performance in subnetting by providing alternate paths for communication. This helps prevent network congestion and allows for faster data transfer between subnets. Additionally, with redundant design, if one device fails, traffic can be automatically rerouted to another device, minimizing downtime and maintaining performance.

3. What are some common methods used to implement redundant network design?

Some common methods for implementing redundant network design include using multiple routers or switches, creating redundant links between devices, and implementing protocols such as Spanning Tree Protocol (STP) or Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (VRRP). These methods all help ensure that there are backup paths and connections available in the event of a failure.

4. How does using a redundant network design affect the overall cost of a network?

Implementing a redundant network design can increase the overall cost of a network due to the need for additional hardware and infrastructure. However, the cost of potential downtime and loss of productivity in the event of a failure can far outweigh the cost of implementing redundancy. In the long run, a redundant network design can save money by minimizing downtime and maintaining network performance.

5. Can a redundant network design be applied to all types of networks?

Yes, a redundant network design can be applied to various types of networks, including local area networks (LANs), wide area networks (WANs), and data center networks. It is especially important for critical networks that require high availability and minimal downtime, such as those used in healthcare, finance, and other industries.