Effects of a discovery of the monopole

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of conservative and non-conservative vector fields, and how to determine whether a field is conservative or not. The conversation also mentions the role of monopoles and provides an example of a potential vortex to illustrate the concept. Ultimately, it is determined that the curl of a vector field being zero indicates a conservative field, while a non-zero curl indicates a non-conservative field.
Somali_Physicist
I guess i have two questions , is the magnetic field conservative or non-conservative.As far as i can see just looking at a magnetic field we have a curved path hence it wouldn't be conservative, however many textbooks assume it is.Is there something I am not seeing here?

Furthermore would monopoles change the category such a field sits in.

Physics news on Phys.org
Somali_Physicist said:
I guess i have two questions , is the magnetic field conservative or non-conservative.As far as i can see just looking at a magnetic field we have a curved path hence it wouldn't be conservative, however many textbooks assume it is.Is there something I am not seeing here?

This is not a question that is open for debate, or something that you can judge simply by "looking". There IS a clear and direct TEST of any field for it to be "conservative". Find the curl of this field. Then ask yourself : "What does it mean if the curl of this field is zero, and what does it mean if the curl of this field is not zero?"

Furthermore would monopoles change the category such a field sits in.

One step at a time. Do the first one first.

Zz.

Well, after you've read about

-path independence of line integrals over vector fields
-existence of a scalar potential of a vector field and this path independence
-local version: or in other words, what this has to do with the operation curl
-and what Poincare's Lemma tells you

go ahead with a nice mind-boggling example, the potential vortex
$$\vec{V}(\vec{x}) = \frac{1}{x_1^2+x_2^2} \begin{pmatrix} -x_2 \\ x_1 \\0 \end{pmatrix}$$
and calculate ##\text{curl} \vec{V}## and then the line integral along an arbitrary circle parallel to the ##x_1##-##x_2##-plane with center on the ##x_3## axis. Hint: cylinder coordinates can in this case be both a good idea and adding even more to the confusion, but it's really a good kind of confusion.

ZapperZ said:
This is not a question that is open for debate, or something that you can judge simply by "looking". There IS a clear and direct TEST of any field for it to be "conservative". Find the curl of this field. Then ask yourself : "What does it mean if the curl of this field is zero, and what does it mean if the curl of this field is not zero?"
One step at a time. Do the first one first.
[
Zz.
Curl of a field is zero implies that there is no circulation .It also means that such a vector is a gradient of some scalar potential. I guess you could also see along a closed curve you would always have zero work done.As you have to apply same work to get to a point.Wikipedia defines it as something that only depends on position not path taken.

Ok so for a magnetic field:
∫B.dl = μ0∫J.dA
by stokes theorem:
∫(∇xB).da = ∫μ0J.dA
therefore:
∇xB = μ0J
∇xB =0 only if J = 0

If the curl of a vector field isn't zero than it is path dependent and hence not a gradient of a scalar potential.That would imply its not zero, so not a conservative vector field?

1. What is a monopole and why is its discovery significant?

A monopole is a hypothetical particle that has only one magnetic pole, either north or south. Its discovery would be significant because it would provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental forces of nature and could potentially lead to advancements in technology.

2. How would the discovery of a monopole impact our current understanding of electromagnetism?

The discovery of a monopole would challenge the current theory of electromagnetism, which states that all magnets have both a north and south pole. It would require a revision of this theory and could potentially lead to a more comprehensive understanding of magnetic fields.

3. What practical applications could arise from the discovery of a monopole?

If monopoles were found to exist, they could potentially be harnessed for use in technologies such as magnetic storage devices, magnetic levitation, and more efficient motors and generators.

4. How would the detection of a monopole be achieved?

The detection of a monopole would likely involve high-energy particle accelerators and sophisticated particle detectors. It would also require extensive research and experimentation to confirm the existence of monopoles.

5. What implications would the discovery of a monopole have for the field of physics?

The discovery of a monopole would have significant implications for the field of physics, as it would challenge our current understanding of the fundamental forces and could potentially lead to new theories and discoveries. It would also open up new avenues for research and exploration in the field of particle physics.