Magnetic monopole discovery, but not the creation

In summary, the question is whether or not there is a theoretical basis that would allow us to expect natural magnetic monopoles discovery. There is a theoretical basis for expecting natural magnetic monopoles discovery, but it is purely hypothetical at this point.
quantumgeography
You have probably all heard about magnetic monopoles creation ,but I just want to ask is there theoretical basis
(without denying already proven theories) which would allow us to expect natural magnetic monopoles discovery?

https://arxiv.org/abs/1607.07460
https://www.london-nano.com/researc...gnetic-monopoles-discovered-by-lcn-scientists
http://phys.org/news/2014-01-physicists-synthetic-magnetic-monopole-years.html
Monopole.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
These monopoles are not fundamental particles, they are a way of describing collective behavior in condensed matter systems.

Vanadium 50 said:
These monopoles are not fundamental particles, they are a way of describing collective behavior in condensed matter systems.

Thank you for your observation, but the question remains.

Vanadium 50 said:
Yes, magnetic monopoles are not fundamental particles (,because they are not proven yet) ,but they are hypothetical elementary particles in particle physics.

Define "natural". What is unnatural about the observed quasiparticles?
quantumgeography said:
but they are hypothetical elementary particles in particle physics.
Yes, and purely hypothetical so far.

What is your actual question?

Likes vanhees71
mfb said:
Define "natural". What is unnatural about the observed quasiparticles?
Yes, and purely hypothetical so far.

What is your actual question?
Can we expect natural (as found in nature and not invovling anything made or done by people) magnetic monopoles discovery?

The crystals could occur naturally, not sure how often that happens, but there is nothing special about them.

Likes vanhees71
mfb said:
but there is nothing special about them.
If there is nothing special about them, why then we do not detected them yet? I am discussing here the probability that we can not found things that just does not exist (that's why I am asking RELIABLE theories, that can PREDICT and not SUPPOSE magnetic monopoles discovery).

quantumgeography said:
If there is nothing special about them, why then we do not detected them yet?
Only a tiny amount of all crystals show magnetic monopoles as quasiparticles, and it is hard to study them experimentally. I don't know if there is a known natural material that shows them, but there is no fundamental reason why this should not occur.

Again, what is your actual question? You seem to think that there is some relationship between the collective behaviors of spin-ices and monopoles as elementary particles. There isn't.

Here are a couple of additional links on this enormously important topic. Sorry they are not very recent, but they are still interesting.

This is an overview from IEEE Spectrum.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/semiconductors/materials/the-hunt-for-the-magnetic-monopole

Here is an article concerning work at Helmholtz Zentrum Berlin.

https://www.helmholtz-berlin.de/aktuell/pm/pm-archiv/2009/pm-tennant-morris-monopole_en.html

I hope this thread is kept open, and that people who have time to follow this will continue to post news. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes quantumgeography
I guess you have "presented" your topic with an off-topic statement (in your links).
If you ask for theories that predict the existence of fundamental magnetic monopoles, you could as well scroll through them in wikipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_monopole#Grand_unified_theories_2
but of course, up to now all these are hypotheses (since we've never seen them in experiments so far).
Now if you're asking me about the perspectives of discovering such a thing - I won't say my beliefs (because up to now, that's a matter of taste and beliefs)... But scientists search for things even if they don't exist... We just don't like what fits well to our understanding :rolleyes: and new stuff are always welcome...

Likes quantumgeography
Would it be more appropriate to open a thread on "news about magnetic monopoles?" instead of keeping this one? It's such an important topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes quantumgeography
If there is something new, better open a new thread.

1. What is a magnetic monopole?

A magnetic monopole is a hypothetical particle that has a single magnetic pole, either north or south, rather than the usual magnetic dipole with both poles present.

2. Has a magnetic monopole ever been discovered?

No, a magnetic monopole has not been discovered yet. It is still a theoretical concept and has not been observed in nature or in experiments.

3. What would be the significance of discovering a magnetic monopole?

The discovery of a magnetic monopole would have huge implications in the field of physics, particularly in the study of electromagnetism. It could potentially lead to a better understanding of the fundamental forces of the universe and could also have practical applications in areas such as magnetic storage and energy generation.

4. How are scientists trying to discover a magnetic monopole?

Scientists are using various techniques and experiments, such as high-energy particle accelerators, to try and create or detect magnetic monopoles. They are also studying natural phenomena, such as cosmic rays, that could potentially produce magnetic monopoles.

5. Could the discovery of a magnetic monopole change our understanding of the universe?

Yes, the discovery of a magnetic monopole would have a significant impact on our understanding of the universe, as it would provide new insights into the fundamental laws of physics. It could also potentially lead to the development of new theories and technologies.