Effects of sports bra 24/7 on breast fat location

In summary, the author suggests that wearing a sports bra instead of a regular bra can cause your breasts to shift to the sides over time, and that it might be a good idea to invest in a better fitting bra.
annoyinggirl
i've been wearing a light impact sports bra in place of a normal bra for the past few months, since they are comfortable:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NPTV2G/?tag=pfamazon01-20

But I've noticed that my breasts when bare have been shifting to the sides (i'm thinking that it's because the bra applies pressure on the inner side of the breast (since that's where the bra touches the breast, as all sports bra do) , forcing the fat to move more toward the sides , which over time becomes permanent, unless something puts pressure on them to move the opposite way (toward the center). Is it just me, or is this probable?

I am 23 years old and have never had children. Weight has been pretty constant recently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Interesting question. I had thought there would be something known about it, but haven't found anything. The only interesting article (in a serious (and conservative) newspaper) has been an interview with a french sports medicine Prof. Jean-Denis Rouillon who made a study suggesting that women were better off wearing no bra at all. However he tested only 320 women and mostly athletes and admitted that there isn't a reliable conclusion yet to be drawn. But what has been interesting is, that he said he did some research on the implications of bras first and worldwide and hasn't found anything about it. (Which I find hard to believe.)

Personally I hold such an effect for possible, but reversible, too. Since breast tissue is placed upon breast musculature, there is only skin and the tissue itself being affected. I would expect some memory effect, which will disappear again. There are natural sources of changes anyway: during the menstrual cycle, during a pregnancy. I think these are much stronger effects and (usually) disappear again as well.

annoyinggirl said:
i've been wearing a light impact sports bra in place of a normal bra for the past few months, since they are comfortable:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NPTV2G/?tag=pfamazon01-20

But I've noticed that my breasts when bare have been shifting to the sides (i'm thinking that it's because the bra applies pressure on the inner side of the breast (since that's where the bra touches the breast, as all sports bra do) , forcing the fat to move more toward the sides , which over time becomes permanent, unless something puts pressure on them to move the opposite way (toward the center). Is it just me, or is this probable?

I am 23 years old and have never had children. Weight has been pretty constant recently.
You might want to consider paying more and getting a better fitting bra. There are definitely differences. I wish I could remember the brand I used when I was younger, it was great, It was only around $20. The straps were part of the bra, not separate like the one you linked to.

The bras I wear now (after years of Victoria's Secret) are Hanes and they push in from the sides and give great support. I love them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Fervent Freyja
annoyinggirl said:
Many shapes and sizes of breasts, and they point in all directions. Well, not all directions, but not necessarily is the nipple pointing straight ahead.
Examples
http://www.herroom.com/apex-direction,337,30.html
Perhaps you were wearing support previously through the years, that pushed the set more closer together.
And now, with the style of bra in the picture, which seems to be a less strict compression style, the memory effect ( from fresh_42 post ) you are displaying your more natural look, with the skin and ligaments adjusting to the relaxed state.
That is an opposing opinion to that which you expressed.

Sports bras aren't intended to be worn normally. They aren't supporting your breasts or back and can be bad on the shoulders and back if worn long-term. They are pressing them tightly together so that they won't jiggle during activity- that's all. What happens is that the elastic and stretchiness of the material becomes worn and it goes from pressing them together, to pressing them down. You don't want that! Wearing one all day also means you will be replacing it more often than a normal bra.

Like Evo said, you are going to have to find a real bra that supports you. Go and get fitted to find your real size. I've known many women that wear the wrong bra size! They should be wearing a way smaller band size than they do and larger cup size, the band size is the measurement of your under-bust, not your bust. Going down to a smaller band size will increase your cup size needed though. But, it will actually fit.

It's okay to forgo one at night.

Likes jim mcnamara
I do not think it is 'fat migration'.

Ptosis is a general condition of breasts changing shape over time, often sagging. There are a large number of factors - significant weight change, BMI, smoking among them. So things are going to move around as you age. You mentioned weight change so I would first consider that. Rather than your bra.
See:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ptosis_(breasts)

You can also google: Cooper's ligaments to see what is happening anatomically. And no, it is not the ligament's 'fault'.

Anyway, @Fervent Freyja is correct.

I don't think her breasts could be sagging at 23, that is way too early. From my own experience, what she is describing happens when a bra is too tight and there are no side barriers.

Likes fresh_42

1. How does wearing a sports bra 24/7 affect the location of breast fat?

The effects of wearing a sports bra 24/7 on the location of breast fat have not been extensively studied. However, some studies suggest that wearing a supportive sports bra can prevent sagging and maintain the overall shape of the breasts. It is important to note that the location of breast fat is largely determined by genetics and overall body fat percentage.

2. Will wearing a sports bra 24/7 reduce breast size?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest that wearing a sports bra 24/7 will reduce breast size. Breast size is largely determined by genetics and weight fluctuations. However, wearing a supportive sports bra can help prevent the appearance of sagging breasts, giving the illusion of a smaller size.

3. Can wearing a sports bra 24/7 cause breast pain or discomfort?

Wearing a sports bra 24/7 may cause discomfort or pain for some individuals, especially if the bra is too tight or does not provide enough support. It is important to choose a sports bra that fits properly and provides adequate support for your level of physical activity. If you experience pain or discomfort, it is recommended to speak with a healthcare professional.

4. Is it safe to wear a sports bra 24/7?

Wearing a sports bra 24/7 is generally safe for most individuals. However, it is important to choose a bra that fits properly and does not cause discomfort or restrict breathing. It is also recommended to take breaks from wearing a sports bra and give your breasts time to breathe and relax.

5. Can wearing a sports bra 24/7 affect breast milk production?

There is no evidence to suggest that wearing a sports bra 24/7 will affect breast milk production. However, it is important to choose a bra that is not too tight or constricting, as this can potentially lead to clogged milk ducts and affect milk supply. It may also be beneficial to take breaks from wearing a sports bra to allow for proper milk flow.