Efficiency is 13% for CO2 fixation using solar radiation Photosynthesi

In summary, the approximate efficiency of the conversion of light energy to chemical energy in photosynthesis is around 15%, with the maximum efficiency being around 20%. This is based on the "Rule of 10" where each trophic level converts energy at around 10% efficiency. 100% efficiency is not possible due to the limitations of metabolic processes.
Soaring Crane
What is the approx. efficiency of the conversion of light energy to chemical energy in photosynthesis?

a. 100%
b. 95%
c. 15%
d. 1%

I doubt that it is 100%. Is it 15%? I did a search, and I read that the efficiency is 13% for CO2 fixation using solar radiation. I don't know if this is reasonable.

Thanks for any replies.

Biology news on Phys.org
Soaring Crane said:
What is the approx. efficiency of the conversion of light energy to chemical energy in photosynthesis?

a. 100%
b. 95%
c. 15%
d. 1%

I doubt that it is 100%. Is it 15%? I did a search, and I read that the efficiency is 13% for CO2 fixation using solar radiation. I don't know if this is reasonable.

Thanks for any replies.
I haven't been on this topic for awhile so excuse me if I'm wrong. But aren't the pigments af light energy stored using adenosine tri-phosphate?(chemical energy) :smile:

You mean, ATP? I think the light reactions (photophosphorylation) make ATP from ADP and P using solar energy.

Going by generalization there is the "Rule of 10". Where roughly each trophic level consumes/converts energy at ~10% efficiency. I think the maximum efficiency is around 20% for levels, so my assumption would be the 15% solution.

100% should be a giveaway because no metabolic process is going to be perfectly efficient.

Soaring Crane said:

a. 100%
b. 95%
c. 15%
d. 1%

Thanks for any replies.
prabably about 15%

What is the efficiency of CO2 fixation using solar radiation photosynthesis?

The efficiency of CO2 fixation using solar radiation photosynthesis is 13%. This means that 13% of the solar energy that is absorbed by plants is converted into chemical energy through the process of photosynthesis.

How is the efficiency of CO2 fixation measured?

The efficiency of CO2 fixation is typically measured using the photosynthetic efficiency formula, which compares the amount of carbon fixed by photosynthesis to the amount of solar radiation absorbed by plants. This is expressed as a percentage, with a higher percentage indicating a more efficient process.

What affects the efficiency of CO2 fixation using solar radiation photosynthesis?

Several factors can affect the efficiency of CO2 fixation using solar radiation photosynthesis. These include the availability of sunlight, the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere, the type of plant and its photosynthetic capabilities, and environmental conditions such as temperature and humidity.

What is the significance of the 13% efficiency in CO2 fixation?

The 13% efficiency in CO2 fixation using solar radiation photosynthesis is significant because it is a measure of the Earth's primary process for removing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. This process is essential for maintaining a balanced level of CO2 in the atmosphere and is crucial for sustaining life on Earth.

Can the efficiency of CO2 fixation be improved?

Scientists are continuously researching and developing ways to improve the efficiency of CO2 fixation using solar radiation photosynthesis. Some potential methods include optimizing plant genetics, using artificial light sources, and developing more efficient photosynthetic pathways. However, it is essential to consider the potential consequences of altering this critical process in the Earth's ecosystem before implementing any changes.