Efficiency of a combustion motor

In summary, the efficiency of a heat machine can be calculated using the formula E=(Q2-Q1)/Q2, where Q2 is the heat inserted because of the explosion and Q1 is the heat that leaves through the exhaust. This formula can also be derived from the volumes ratio V1/V2 by using the equation E=1-(1/(V1/V2)^(gamma-1)). This efficiency is the maximum achievable only if all process steps are carried out reversibly, meaning entropy is conserved. The changes in temperature (ΔT) can be used to calculate heat (Q) using the equations Q=mCPΔT (constant pressure) or Q=mCVΔT (constant volume), and the
Karol

Homework Statement

The efficiency of a heat machine is ##E=\frac{Q_2-Q_1}{Q_2}## where Q2 is the heat inserted because of the explosion and Q1 is the heat that leaves through the exhaust.
It says in the book that E can be derived from the volumes ratio V1/V2:
$$E=1-\frac{1}{\left(V_1/V_2 \right)^{\gamma-1}}$$ why?

Homework Equations

Adiabatic expansion: ##T_1V_1^{\gamma-1}=T_2V_2^{\gamma-1}##

The Attempt at a Solution

$$E=1-\frac{1}{\left(V_1/V_2 \right)^{\gamma-1}}=\frac{T_2-T_1}{T_2}$$
But V2 and T2 have nothing to do with Q2, the heat from the explosion. also i don't know what's the connection between V1 or T1 and the heat lost through the exhaust.
I have just started studying the second law, maybe the book is excluding some explanations, it's an old book for high school but the level is quite high

Physics news on Phys.org
Not my field but perhaps look up Carnot Efficiency. That relates efficiency and temperature.

Note that E is the maximum efficiency, achievable only if all process steps are carried out reversibly, i.e. entropy is conserved. Then Q2 = T2dS2 and idem 1 (with a - sign). Over all ##\Delta S = Q_2/T_2 - Q_1/T_1## and only ##Q_2 - Q_1## can be drawn off as work.

BvU said:
Note that E is the maximum efficiency, achievable only if all process steps are carried out reversibly, i.e. entropy is conserved.
You're right. But mostly actual cycles aren't considered till you study the subject in depth. And I think there is an easier way for this proof.

Karol said:
But V2 and T2 have nothing to do with Q2, the heat from the explosion. also i don't know what's the connection between V1 or T1 and the heat lost through the exhaust.
If you know the the changes in temperatures (ΔT), you can use the equations-
Q = mCPΔT (constant pressure) or Q = mCVΔT (constant volume)
Knowing the relation between temperature and volume, you can introduce 'V' into the equation.

I must say though, it isn't really too easy for a starter.

Thanks i solved but it's long development so i won't write it here

No problemo!

Related to Efficiency of a combustion motor

1. What is the efficiency of a combustion motor?

The efficiency of a combustion motor refers to the percentage of energy from the fuel that is converted into mechanical energy. It is typically measured by the amount of energy output divided by the amount of energy input.

2. How is the efficiency of a combustion motor calculated?

The efficiency of a combustion motor is calculated by dividing the energy output by the energy input and multiplying by 100 to get a percentage. The energy output is typically measured in horsepower or kilowatts, while the energy input is measured in fuel consumption, such as gallons of gasoline or pounds of coal.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of a combustion motor?

The efficiency of a combustion motor can be affected by a variety of factors, including the design of the engine, the type of fuel used, the operating conditions (such as temperature and altitude), and the maintenance and tuning of the engine.

4. What is a good efficiency rating for a combustion motor?

A good efficiency rating for a combustion motor can vary depending on the type of engine and its intended use. However, in general, a modern gasoline engine has an efficiency rating of around 25-30%, while a diesel engine can have an efficiency rating of 40-45%. Higher efficiency ratings can be achieved with more advanced technologies, such as turbochargers or hybrid systems.

5. How can the efficiency of a combustion motor be improved?

The efficiency of a combustion motor can be improved by using more efficient fuels, such as biodiesel or ethanol blends, implementing advanced engine technologies, such as direct injection or variable valve timing, and regularly maintaining and tuning the engine. Additionally, improving driving habits, such as avoiding rapid acceleration and braking, can also help improve the efficiency of a combustion motor.