Efficient solution to a 3D geometry distance problem

In summary: Test yourself on problems where the answers are provided. I think it's better to finish 8 problems out of 10 that are done correctly than to work all 10 problems, but with errors on half of them.
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the coordinates of those points on the lines (x+1)/2 = (y+2)/2 = (z-3)/6 which is at a distance of 3 units from the point (1,-2,3)

2. Relevant methods
1) assume a point, use distance formula- (very calculative)
2) write vector equation of line, find foot of perpendicular (k) from point (t) to line, assume the point (m)- use cross product to write sinθ in terms of these points- (again, very calculative)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm looking for a solution that one might actually be able to employ to solve this in a time-bound competitive exam with less hassle and tediousness. Would be glad to know new ideas; thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Krushnaraj Pandya said:

Homework Statement

Find the coordinates of those points on the lines (x+1)/2 = (y+2)/2 = (z-3)/6 which is at a distance of 3 units from the point (1,-2,3)

2. Relevant methods
2) write vector equation of line, find foot of perpendicular (k) from point (t) to line, assume the point (m)- use cross product to write sinθ in terms of these points- (again, very calculative)

So I'm looking for a solution that one might actually be able to employ to solve this in a time-bound competitive exam with less hassle and tediousness. Would be glad to know new ideas; thank you.
As I said before, all of the techniques require a lot of calculations, so I don't think there is any "magic bullet," other than to work a lot of problems beforehand. Test yourself on problems where the answers are provided. I think it's better to finish 8 problems out of 10 that are done correctly than to work all 10 problems, but with errors on half of therm.

Krushnaraj Pandya said:

Homework Statement

2. Relevant methods

You can fairly quickly get a quadratic equation to solve. If you set the coordinates on the line as ##(x,y,z) = (-1 + 2t, -2+2 t, 3 + 6t)##, you want to find the value of ##t## that has ##(x,y,z)## at a distance of 3 from the point ##(1,-2,3)##, or whose squared distance is 9 units. The squared distance is ##S = [1-(-1+2t)]^2 + [-2 -(-2+2t)]^2 + [3 - (3 + 6t)]^2\\ \hspace{2ex}= (2 - 2t)^2 + (-2t)^2 +(-6t)^2## You an easily expand out ##S## to get a quadratic of the form ##S = a t^2 + bt + c##, then solve your quadratic equation ##a t^2 + bt +c = 9.##

As a bonus, available with almost no extra work: if the two roots of the quadratic are ##t_1## and ##t_2##, the mid-point ##t_m = \frac{1}{2}(t_1+t_2)## gives the point on the line that is closest to the given point ##(1,-2,3).## Note that we can also get this point without knowing ##t_1## and ##t_2## because the sum of the roots is closely related to the quadratic coefficients.

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
You can fairly quickly get a quadratic equation to solve. If you set the coordinates on the line as ##(x,y,z) = (-1 + 2t, -2+2 t, 3 + 6t)##, you want to find the value of ##t## that has ##(x,y,z)## at a distance of 3 from the point ##(1,-2,3)##, or whose squared distance is 9 units.
Those points are the intersections of the lines with the circle of center (1, -2, 3) and radius 3.

Thank you everyone for your help, and sorry that I'm taking so long to get back- I'm in a mid-exam rush and will respond after understanding everyone's replies properly. Thank you again :D

Ray Vickson said:
As a bonus, available with almost no extra work: if the two roots of the quadratic are t1t1t_1 and t2t2t_2, the mid-point tm=12(t1+t2)tm=12(t1+t2)t_m = \frac{1}{2}(t_1+t_2) gives the point on the line that is closest to the given point (1,−2,3).(1,−2,3).(1,-2,3).
I can't visualize why this happens, but it is a very beautiful solution. Thank you
ehild said:
Those points are the intersections of the lines with the circle of center (1, -2, 3) and radius 3.
Seems logical since the locus of the point at 3 units is a circle and the line is simply a tangent.
Mark44 said:
As I said before, all of the techniques require a lot of calculations, so I don't think there is any "magic bullet," other than to work a lot of problems beforehand. Test yourself on problems where the answers are provided. I think it's better to finish 8 problems out of 10 that are done correctly than to work all 10 problems, but with errors on half of therm.
True, Although withput @Ray Vickson's solution I would have taken a huge amount of time to get to the right place. This is by far the easiest and most productive solutions and the kind that can really help me. Of course I'll practice though...I'm already on the slower side in exams which is a huge drawback

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
Seems logical since the locus of the point at 3 units is a circle and the line is simply a tangent.
In general, the line is a secant.

1. What is a 3D geometry distance problem?

A 3D geometry distance problem refers to finding the shortest distance between two points in a three-dimensional space. This problem is commonly encountered in various fields such as computer graphics, engineering, and physics.

2. Why is finding an efficient solution to a 3D geometry distance problem important?

In many real-world applications, accurately calculating the distance between two points in 3D space is crucial. For example, in computer graphics, this information is used to render 3D objects and create realistic simulations. In engineering, it is important for designing structures and analyzing movement. Therefore, finding an efficient solution can save time and resources, and improve the accuracy of results.

3. What are some common methods for solving a 3D geometry distance problem?

Some common methods for solving a 3D geometry distance problem include the Pythagorean theorem, vector operations, and the distance formula. More advanced techniques such as using algorithms like Dijkstra's algorithm or A* search can also be employed for more complex scenarios.

4. How can a scientist determine the most efficient solution for a 3D geometry distance problem?

The most efficient solution for a 3D geometry distance problem depends on various factors such as the complexity of the problem, the available resources, and the desired level of accuracy. A scientist can evaluate different methods and their performance in terms of speed and accuracy to determine the most efficient solution for a specific problem.

5. What are some challenges that may arise when solving a 3D geometry distance problem?

One of the main challenges when solving a 3D geometry distance problem is dealing with complex shapes and surfaces. In some cases, there may not be a straightforward solution and approximation methods may be required. Additionally, computational limitations and errors can also pose challenges when finding an efficient solution.