Efficient Solutions for IVP and Root Approximation in Differential Equations

In summary, you can approximate the root of K using Newton's method, or expand the function g(k) as an order-2 Maclauren series and solve for the second root.
Robb

Homework Statement

[/B]
It's been a couple of years since differential equations so I am hoping to find some guidance here. This is for numerical analysis.
Any help would be much appreciated.

upload_2017-9-17_19-20-2.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2017-9-17_19-20-27.png

Physics news on Phys.org
No. When you go from[tex] \frac{dv}{dt} = -k v^2 [/tex]
to:[tex] \int dv = -\int k v^2 dt[/tex]
you can't simply integrate the right side as though v is a constant, because v depends on t, and you don't know the functional dependence of v on t. What you need to do is collect the terms in v on one side and the terms in t on the other side so you have: [tex] \int \frac{dv}{v^2} = -k \int dt [/tex]Try going from there.

-1/v = -kt
v = 1/kt

or is this more accurate: v(t) = 1/kt ?

Last edited:
What about the constant of integration and the initial conditions?

phyzguy said:
What about the constant of integration and the initial conditions?

Shoot, I forgot about the constant of integration: v(t) = 1/kt + C
As for the initial conditions I guess I'm not sure. v(0) = v(o). Doesn't this imply division by zero (v(0) = 1/k(0))?

Robb said:

No! You need to add the constant of integration when you integrate, before you invert both sides.

Robb said:
As for the initial conditions I guess I'm not sure. v(0) = v(o). Doesn't this imply division by zero (v(0) = 1/k(0))?

No: as phyzguy said, the correct statement is ##-1/v = -kt + C##.

Yep, I got that. So, v(0) = -1/C

Robb said:
Yep, I got that. So, v(0) = -1/C

Yes, so keep going. Now you should be able to answer the other questions.

I now have to approximate the root of K. I'm not sure how to find a starting bracket. I know one way is to turn the equation F(k)=27k - ln abs(30k + 1) into two equations; y = 27k, y = ln abs(30k + 1). I've graphed it but the only intersection I can find is at the point (0,0), which we do not want. Any words of wisdom? Thanks!

upload_2017-9-20_21-2-18.png

upload_2017-9-20_21-2-46.png

upload_2017-9-20_21-3-9.png

I suggest using Newton's method to find the value of K. It works for finding roots of an equation of the form F(x) = 0. Here you have F(k) = 27k - ln(30k+1) = 0. Start with a guess for k (I tried k = 1) and iterate until it stops changing. What value do you find for k?

Robb said:
I now have to approximate the root of K. I'm not sure how to find a starting bracket. I know one way is to turn the equation F(k)=27k - ln abs(30k + 1) into two equations; y = 27k, y = ln abs(30k + 1). I've graphed it but the only intersection I can find is at the point (0,0), which we do not want. Any words of wisdom? Thanks!

View attachment 211441

View attachment 211443

View attachment 211444

I refuse to look at your posted images, but am willing to comment on typed material.

In this case you want to find the intersection of the two curves ##f(k) = 27 k## and ##g(k) = \ln |30 k + 1|##. For ##k \geq 0## (actually, for ##k \geq -1/30##) you can remove the absolute-value signs in ##g(k)##. We have ##f'(0) = 27## and ##g'(0) = 30##. Since ##f(0)=g(0)=0## and ##g## has higher initial slope, ##g(k)## will exceed ##f(k)## intially. However, since ##g(k)## is a strictly concave function on ##(0,\infty)## (i.e., ##g''(k) < 0## for ##k > 0##), and since ##g## does not grow very fast, the two graphs must cross again exactly once at some value of ##k > 0##. However, that ##k## will be very small, because already by ##k = 1## we have ##f \gg g##. As phyzguy suggested, you can use Newton's method, but another way that looks promising is to expand ##g(k)## as an order-2 Maclauren series of the form ##g(k) \approx 30 k - c k^2## and then solve the resulting quadratic equation.

The graph of ##g(k)## for ##k < -1/30## is a mirror-image of that for ##k > -1/30##, so as ##k## decreases below -1/30 the graph rises up again (from ##-\infty##) and eventually becomes positive once more. That means that there must be a second root at a value ##k < -1/30##.

much appreciated.

Note that the value for k you are searching for must be positive, otherwise the projectile will accelerate without limit.

Robb said:
much appreciated.

For what it is worth: you can solve the equation in terms of the so-called Lambert W- function and so can get an immediate numerical value if you use a computer algebra system such as Maple or Mathematica. You can also get a symbolic and numerical solution using the free on-line program Wolfram Alpha.

1. What is an IVP in mathematics?

An Initial Value Problem (IVP) is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding a function that satisfies a given differential equation, along with a set of initial conditions. The initial conditions typically specify the value of the function at a certain point, or a set of points, in the domain.

2. How is an IVP solved?

There are various methods for solving IVPs, such as the Euler method, Runge-Kutta methods, and multistep methods. These methods involve approximating the solution at discrete points in the domain, and then using these approximations to find the solution at other points.

3. What is root approximation?

Root approximation is a method for finding the roots or zeros of a function, which are the values of the independent variable that make the function equal to zero. This method involves iteratively refining an initial guess for the root using a sequence of calculations.

4. How does root approximation relate to IVPs?

Root approximation is often used in solving IVPs because many differential equations can be converted into root-finding problems. For example, an IVP can be solved by finding the roots of the function that represents the difference between the left and right sides of the differential equation.

5. What are some common applications of IVP and root approximation?

IVP and root approximation have various applications in mathematics, physics, engineering, and other fields. They can be used to model and solve problems related to population growth, radioactive decay, heat transfer, and many other phenomena that can be described by differential equations.