Efficient Techniques for Solving Complex Integrals | Help with Definite Integral

In summary, the author is having trouble with an integral and is looking for advice. They tried using the residue theorem but got stuck, so they need to find the roots of the denominator. They found that the roots are complex conjugate pairs and located the poles at z=\sqrt{r} \, e^{i\theta/2}, \; \sqrt{r} \, e^{-i\theta/2}, \; -\sqrt{r} \, e^{i\theta/2}, \; -\sqrt{r} \, e^{-i\theta/2}.
jazhemar
I'm having a tough time with this integral:

$$\int_{0}^\infty \frac{x^2 \, dx}{x^4+(a^2+\frac{1}{b^2})x^2+\frac{2a^2}{b^2}}$$
where $$a, b \in \Bbb R^+$$ I tried using the residue theorem, but the roots of the denominator I found are quite complicated, and I got stuck.

What contour should I use? Is there an alternative method? I would appreciate any advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll probably need to assume that the imaginary parts of the roots are positive. I would go with the contour of negative infinity to positive infinity, and then do a semicircle back. That is, do this:
\begin{align*}
f(z)&=\dfrac{z^2}{z^4+(a^2+1/b^2)z^2+2a^2/b^2} \\
I&=\int_0^{\infty}f(z) \, dz \\
2I&=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(z) \, dz, \qquad \text{because} \; f(z) \; \text{is even}.
\end{align*}
Then compute
$$\int_{-R}^R f(z) \, dz$$
along the real axis, and compute
$$iR\int_{0}^{\pi}f\Big(Re^{i\theta}\Big) \, e^{i\theta} \, d\theta,$$
where $z=R e^{i\theta}$. My hunch is that the semicircle part will be zero, and you can probably show that by the $ML$ inequality.

You are going to need to horse through the roots of the denominator, because you'll have
$$\lim_{R\to\infty}\left[\int_{-R}^Rf(z) \, dz+\int_{0}^{\pi}iR \,f\Big(Re^{i\theta}\Big) \, e^{i\theta} \, d\theta\right]=\sum_j\text{Res}[f(z_j),z_j],$$
and to find the residues, you'll need the roots of the denominator. They're really not that bad:
$$z^2=\frac{-a^2b^2-1\pm\sqrt{a^4b^4-6a^2b^2+1}}{2b^2}.$$

I think they're all simple roots, so you can compute the residues by
$$\text{Res}[f(z_j),z_j]=\lim_{z\to z_j}(z-z_j)f(z).$$

Can you continue?

Thank you! But, how do I know for which of those four roots are the imaginary parts positive?

jazhemar said:
Thank you! But, how do I know for which of those four roots are the imaginary parts positive?

So let's examine the equation
$$z^2=\frac{-a^2b^2-1\pm\sqrt{a^4b^4-6a^2b^2+1}}{2b^2},$$
which describes all four poles of $f(z)$. First of all, note that the discriminant
\begin{align*}
a^4b^4-6a^2b^2+1&=a^4b^4-2a^2b^2+1-4a^2b^2 \\
&=(a^2b^2-1)^2-4a^2b^2 \\
&=(a^2b^2-1-2ab)(a^2b^2-1+2ab) \\
&=(a^2b^2-2ab+1-2)(a^2b^2+2ab+1-2) \\
&=((ab-1)^2-2)((ab+1)^2-2).
\end{align*}
This might help you get a handle on where the roots lie, given the locations of $a$ and $b$.

Now, I don't know what the RHS is fully, but since the quadratic equation in $z^2$ has all real coefficients, then both of these solutions, if they are complex, come in complex-conjugate pairs. As a matter of fact, if any of these roots are real and positive, then the original integral blows up along its contour. I don't think this happens, though, and here's why:

\begin{align*}
(a^2b^2+1)^2&=a^4b^4+2a^2b^2+1 \\
&>a^4b^4-6a^2b^2+1,
\end{align*}
and hence
$$a^2b^2+1>\sqrt{a^4b^4-6a^2b^2+1}.$$
So, if the discriminant is positive, the square root of its magnitude is less than the negative thing being added to it. So when you take the positive sign, you get a negative, and when you take the negative sign, you get something even more negative. So there cannot be any positive real values of $z^2$.

I suppose there could be negative real roots, in which case the contours I suggested in my previous post would run right over them; you can either change your contour to be only in the first quadrant (You can't go on the imaginary axis, because a negative value of $z^2$ would square root to be on the imaginary axis! You'd need to do, say, from $0\le\theta\le\pi/4$), or you need to impose a condition on $a$ and $b$ such that this discriminant is negative, and you get only complex conjugate values for $z^2$.

So, let's suppose that is the case (and with the factors above, hopefully it will be a bit easier to find out when that happens): the roots of the quadratic in $z^2$ are complex conjugate pairs. That means $z^2=r e^{\pm i\theta}$ for some positive real $r$, and $0<\theta<\pi$. Finally, we have the four poles located at
$$z=\sqrt{r} \, e^{i\theta/2}, \; \sqrt{r} \, e^{-i\theta/2}, \; -\sqrt{r} \, e^{i\theta/2}, \; -\sqrt{r} \, e^{-i\theta/2}.$$
The first and last of these, if you think it through, will have positive imaginary part.

So, what is $\theta$? Well, we know that
$$\tan(\theta)=\frac{\text{Im}(z^2)}{\text{Re}(z^2)}.$$
Work out what that is, and you should be on your way. Don't forget to make sure $0<\theta<\pi$ by adding or subtracting $\pi$.

Related to Efficient Techniques for Solving Complex Integrals | Help with Definite Integral

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used to find the exact area under a curve in a given interval. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and has two limits, the lower and upper bound of the interval.

2. How do I solve a definite integral?

To solve a definite integral, you can use various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. It is important to identify the type of integral and use the appropriate method to solve it.

3. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits and gives a numerical value, while an indefinite integral has no limits and is represented by a constant and a variable. Indefinite integrals are used to find the general antiderivative of a function.

4. Can definite integrals be negative?

Yes, definite integrals can be negative. The sign of the definite integral depends on the function being integrated and the limits of the interval. A negative value indicates that the area under the curve is below the x-axis.

5. How can definite integrals be applied in real life?

Definite integrals have many practical applications, such as calculating the distance traveled by an object given its velocity function, finding the volume of a solid with a known cross-section, and determining the total cost of production with a given cost function.