How Is Diesel Engine Efficiency Calculated Using Compression and Cutoff Ratios?

In summary, the conversation discusses the thermodynamic cycle of a diesel engine and how to calculate its efficiency in terms of compression ratio, cutoff ratio, and specific heat ratio. The equations PV=nRT, PV^gamma=constant, and W_{adiabatic} are mentioned. There is also a mention of using negative values for Q_h and confusion about which values to use in the calculation of Q_h and W_net. The correct expression for efficiency is given as \epsilon = 1-r^{1-\gamma}(\frac{r_{c}^\gamma-1}{\gamma(r_{c}-1)}).
vladimir69

Homework Statement

The diagram below shows the thermodynamic cycle of a diesel engine. The compression ratio is the ratio of maximum to minimum volume; [itex]r=\frac{V_{1}}{V_{2}}[/itex]. In addition, the so-called cutoff ratio is defined by [itex]r_{c} = \frac{V_{3}}{V_{2}}[/itex]. Find an expression for the engine's efficiency, in terms of [itex]r[/itex], [itex]r_{c}[/itex] and the specific heat ratio [itex]\gamma[/itex].

Homework Equations

[tex]PV=nRT[/tex]
PV^gamma = constant
[tex]W_{adiabatic} = \frac{P_{1}V_{1} - P_{2}V_{2}}{\gamma-1}[/tex]
[tex]\epsilon = \frac{W_{net}}{Q_h}[/tex]
[tex]P_{2} = P_{3}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]W_{net} = W_{12} + W_{23} + W_{34} + W_{41}[/tex]
And I think I must only use negative values for Q_h because the efficiency is the ratio of work done to heat absorbed. That is a little bit against what I would think because it would make more sense to me if Q_h was just the sum of Q_12, Q_23, Q_34, Q_41.
First of all
[tex] W_{net} = \frac{P_{1}V_{1}-P_{1}r^\gamma V_{2}}{\gamma-1}+P_{1}r^\gamma(V_{3}-V_{2}) + \frac{P_{1}r^\gamma V_{3} - P_{1}r_{c}^\gamma V_{1}}{\gamma-1}[/tex]
The only negative Q_h I think is Q_41 which is
[tex]Q_{h} = Q_{41} = n C_{v} (T_{1}-T_{4}) = \frac{P_{1}V_{1}C_{v}}{R}(1-r_{c}^\gamma)[/tex]
And when I calculate [itex]\epsilon[/itex], low and behold out pops the wrong answer (and a huge mess of V1's V2's and so on) which I can't seem to get rid of. So it seems I have plucked out the wrong values to calculate Q_h or W_net but I'm not sure which combination to pull out.

The book manages to squeeze out
[tex]\epsilon = 1-r^{1-\gamma}(\frac{r_{c}^\gamma-1}{\gamma(r_{c}-1)})[/tex]

Attachments

• pvdiagram.JPG
    pvdiagram.JPG
    11.2 KB · Views: 426
Physics news on Phys.org
where did this come from? I'm thinking I have the wrong values for Q_h and W_net but I'm not sure which ones to use. Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you.

which seems to be a function of r,r_c, and \gamma which is what we are looking for.

I would approach this problem by first understanding the definitions and concepts involved. The compression ratio and cutoff ratio are important factors in determining the efficiency of a diesel engine. The compression ratio is the ratio of the maximum to minimum volume in the engine, while the cutoff ratio is the ratio of the volume at the end of the combustion process to the minimum volume.

To find the efficiency of the engine, we need to calculate the net work done by the engine and the heat absorbed. The net work is given by the sum of the work done in each stage of the thermodynamic cycle, which can be calculated using the adiabatic work equation. The heat absorbed can be calculated using the specific heat capacity and the temperature difference between the beginning and end of the process.

After setting up the equations and substituting the given values, it is important to carefully consider the signs of the values. In this case, negative values for heat absorbed should be used since we are looking at the efficiency of the engine, which is the ratio of work done to heat absorbed. The book's solution also follows this approach and uses the correct signs for the heat absorbed.

I would also suggest checking the calculations and double-checking the values used to ensure accuracy. It is possible that a small error in calculation or using the wrong values could result in a different answer.

In conclusion, the efficiency of a diesel engine can be calculated using the compression ratio, cutoff ratio, and specific heat ratio. Careful attention to the definitions and signs of values is important in obtaining the correct answer.

Related to How Is Diesel Engine Efficiency Calculated Using Compression and Cutoff Ratios?

1. What is the efficiency of a diesel engine?

The efficiency of a diesel engine refers to the ratio of the energy output from the engine to the energy input. It is typically expressed as a percentage and can vary depending on factors such as the design and condition of the engine.

2. How does the efficiency of a diesel engine compare to other types of engines?

Diesel engines are generally more efficient than gasoline engines, as they are able to extract more energy from the fuel due to their higher compression ratios. However, compared to other alternative fuel engines such as electric or hybrid, diesel engines may have lower efficiency.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of a diesel engine?

The efficiency of a diesel engine can be influenced by various factors such as the engine design, operating conditions, fuel quality, and maintenance. For example, a well-maintained engine with good quality fuel will have higher efficiency compared to a poorly maintained engine with low quality fuel.

4. Can the efficiency of a diesel engine be improved?

Yes, the efficiency of a diesel engine can be improved through various methods such as optimizing the engine design, improving fuel injection systems, and using alternative fuels. Regular maintenance and proper driving habits can also help to improve the efficiency of a diesel engine.

5. How is the efficiency of a diesel engine measured?

The efficiency of a diesel engine is typically measured using a dynamometer, which is a device that can simulate real-world driving conditions and measure the power output of the engine. The fuel consumption is also measured to calculate the efficiency. Other methods such as computer simulations may also be used to determine the efficiency of a diesel engine.