Effing Virtual States - How do they work?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of virtual states in atoms and their role in processes such as Raman spectroscopy. While it was initially believed that electrons could only transition between discrete energy levels, it is now understood that virtual states serve as intermediaries for these transitions. This concept is supported by the principles of quantum field theory and has important applications in various scientific fields.
WarPhalange
Effing Virtual States -- How do they work?

I want to talk to a scientist because this is pissing me off. >:-(

So, I'm learning about CARS and Raman spectroscopy. Since Day 1 of Modern Physics I've been told that atoms have discrete energy levels and only the only way to get an electron from n = 1 to n = 2 is by giving it energy equal to n1 - n2.

Now I get told that there are "virtual states" that an electron can use as a middle man between two eigenstates. It's never actually in the virtual states, it just uses it to hop to an allowed state.

So for example, in Raman spectroscopy you hit the atom with some frequency w > n1 - n2, an electron jumps to some virtual state, then goes back down to some other state, and releases a photon of frequency w - n1 + n2. What exactly is happening here?

I know that without virtual states it would be mathematically impossible for the electron to do that, so I'm not questioning whether they are a hoax or whatever, but I don't get the details.

Physics news on Phys.org

WarPhalange said:
So, I'm learning about CARS and Raman spectroscopy. Since Day 1 of Modern Physics I've been told that atoms have discrete energy levels and only the only way to get an electron from n = 1 to n = 2 is by giving it energy equal to n1 - n2.

Well that was a simplified description. You also have selection rules governing the transition probabilities, Raman/Rayleigh/Compton scattering, two-photon emissions, and quite a few other processes.

So for example, in Raman spectroscopy you hit the atom with some frequency w > n1 - n2, an electron jumps to some virtual state, then goes back down to some other state, and releases a photon of frequency w - n1 + n2. What exactly is happening here?

If you want the simplified rationale usually given when first introducing Raman, this is one case where "time-energy uncertainty" can be applied. The electron can be in a 'virtual' energy state, if only for a very short amount of time.

For a more rigorous description, you need quantum field theory. See e.g. http://quantummechanics.ucsd.edu/ph130a/130_notes/node472.html"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a virtual state?

A virtual state is a type of theoretical state that does not have a physical existence, but rather exists as a concept or idea. It is often used in scientific research and modeling to describe the behavior of a system.

2. How do virtual states work?

Virtual states are created through the process of quantum fluctuations, where particles briefly appear and disappear in empty space. These fluctuations can lead to the formation of virtual particles, which can then interact and create virtual states.

3. What is the significance of virtual states?

Virtual states play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles and systems at a quantum level. They can affect the energy levels and interactions of particles, and are important in the study of quantum mechanics and particle physics.

4. Can virtual states be observed?

No, virtual states cannot be directly observed as they do not have a physical presence. However, their effects can be observed through experiments and calculations, providing valuable insights into the behavior of quantum systems.

5. How are virtual states different from real states?

The main difference between virtual states and real states is their physical existence. Real states have a measurable physical presence, while virtual states exist only as theoretical concepts or mathematical representations. Additionally, virtual states are typically short-lived and do not have a lasting impact on the physical world.