Egg Drop Contraption: A Physical Science Project Report

In summary: Hello fresh one, and welcome to PF. Please use the template. It helps you to order your thoughts, ask a question that is to the point, etc. It helps us determine what level and what kind of assistance really is helpful. After all, you don't want us to do your work because then you'd have to hand over the credit as well. See the guidelines.When an egg is dropped from a height of 5 meters, it will not crack. There must be a space inside the egg for the egg to fit, and it must be filled with formulas of physics that explain why the egg did not crack. This project can be applied to real world events, such as motorcycle helmets.
coolman50544
Hi, I am working on an Egg Drop Contraption as a Physical Science project. I need some help on a 1 page report I need to make.

First, let me explain how my project will work so you can know how to answer my questions.
I will have a box a bit bigger than the egg itself. The walls, floor, and the lid's bottom will have cotton. There will only be enough space for only the egg to fit inside. This will prevent it from cracking from a 5 meter drop.

It must contain formulas of physics explain why it didn't crack. I need to know what formulas to put and how to explain them.

I need to know how this can be applied to real world events.

Thank you for reading, and I look forward to your answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
coolman50544 said:
Hi, I am working on an Egg Drop Contraption as a Physical Science project. I need some help on a 1 page report I need to make.

First, let me explain how my project will work so you can know how to answer my questions.
I will have a box a bit bigger than the egg itself. The walls, floor, and the lid's bottom will have cotton. There will only be enough space for only the egg to fit inside. This will prevent it from cracking from a 5 meter drop.

It must contain formulas of physics explain why it didn't crack. I need to know what formulas to put and how to explain them.

I need to know how this can be applied to real world events.

Thank you for reading, and I look forward to your answer.

Welcome to the PF.

We require that you do the bulk of the work on your schoolwork projects -- it is against the PF Rules (see Site Info at the top of the page) for us to give you answers. We can provide hints, ask questions, etc. But we may not do your work for you.

So what are your initial thoughts on your project? How did you pick the technique you have chosen? What have you been learning in physics class that can help you answer these questions?

Hello fresh one, and welcome to PF.
Please use the template. It helps you to order your thoughts, ask a question that is to the point, etc. It helps us determine what level and what kind of assistance really is helpful. After all, you don't want us to do your work because then you'd have to hand over the credit as well. See the guidelines.

An egg is incredibly strong. Just try to squeeze one by applying manual pressure from all around (if you hand is big enough). No chance. But a prick with a pin will easily go through.

For real world events you can think about motorcycle helmets. Just like the egg protects the embryo inside, the skull protects the brain. Quite efficiently, but hard collisions with hard and/or sharp objects are usually fatal.

Show some of the stuff you have learned so far: how fast does it go when it hits the ground ?
What force is needed to crack the shell when you carefully push it's sharp end down on a scale (might well be a kitchen scale isn't enough and you need a scale to weigh persons!) . And sideways ?

Can you convert force to g forces like jet pilots use ?
So you know about F = ##\Delta p/\Delta t ## ?

1. How does the egg drop contraption work?

The egg drop contraption works by using different physical science principles to protect the egg from breaking when it is dropped from a certain height. These principles include inertia, air resistance, and energy transfer.

2. What materials are needed to build an egg drop contraption?

The materials needed to build an egg drop contraption can vary, but some common materials include straws, popsicle sticks, rubber bands, balloons, and plastic bags. It is important to also have an egg, a container to hold the egg, and a way to drop the contraption from a specific height.

3. What is the best design for an egg drop contraption?

There is no one "best" design for an egg drop contraption as it depends on the specific materials and resources available. However, some key elements to consider when designing the contraption include creating a cushioning system, minimizing the weight of the contraption, and ensuring the egg is securely held in place.

4. How can I test the effectiveness of my egg drop contraption?

The best way to test the effectiveness of an egg drop contraption is to drop it from a specified height and observe if the egg remains intact. You can also measure the distance the egg fell and the impact force on landing to compare different designs.

5. What are some tips for a successful egg drop contraption?

Some tips for a successful egg drop contraption include thoroughly testing and adjusting the design before the final drop, using lightweight and shock-absorbing materials, and carefully considering the placement of the egg within the contraption. It is also helpful to research and understand the principles of physics involved in order to design an effective contraption.