Eigenfunction energy levels in a harmonic well

In summary, the conversation discusses energy eigenfunctions and the approach to solving an equation involving these functions. The approach involves using the ladder operators and classical angular frequency of the oscillator to express the functions in terms of ##e^{-iω_0t}##.
Lazy Rat

Homework Statement

If the first two energy eigenfunctions are
## \psi _0(x) = (\frac {1}{\sqrt \pi a})^ \frac{1}{2} e^\frac{-x^2}{2a^2} ##,
## \psi _1(x) = (\frac {1}{2\sqrt \pi a})^ \frac{1}{2}\frac{2x}{a} e^\frac{-x^2}{2a^2} ##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Would it then be correct to presume
## \psi _3(x) = (\frac {1}{4\sqrt \pi a})^ \frac{1}{2}\frac{4x}{a} e^\frac{-x^2}{2a^2} ##

Thank you for your time in considering this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lazy Rat said:
Would it then be correct to presume ...
It would not because it is not orthogonal to ##\psi_1(x)## but the same as ##\psi_1(x)##. Also, you do not state the question that the problem asks.

No. In terms of ladder operators, the nth eigenfunction is given by

[tex]

|n \rangle \equiv \psi_{n}(x) = \frac{(a^\dagger)^n}{\sqrt{n!}} |0 \rangle

[/tex]

the specific question goes as so

For this equation

## \Psi (x,0) = \frac {1}{\sqrt{2}}(\psi_1 (x)-\psi_3 (x)) ##

The system is undisturbed, obtain an expression for ##\psi (x,t)## that is valid for all t ≥ 0. Express in terms of the functions ##\psi_1 (x)##, ##\psi_3 (x)## and ##ω_0##, the classical angular frequency of the oscillator.

I am trying to approach this by simply inputting the eigenfunctions for

##\psi _1(x) = (\frac {1}{2\sqrt \pi a})^ \frac{1}{2}\frac{2x}{a} e^\frac{-x^2}{2a^2}##

And then for

##\psi _3(x)## (which as yet I haven't understood)

And

##a = \sqrt{\frac {\hbar}{ω_0}}##

Would this be the correct approach to express in the terms as stated?

Thank you for assisting me with my problem.

So would i use the fact that ## E_1 = \frac {3}{2} \hbar ω_0 ## which would give ## e^ \frac {- 3iω_0t}{2} ##
And ## E_3 = \frac {7}{2} \hbar ω_0 ## which would give ## e^ \frac {- 7iω_0t}{2} ##

Am I on the right track?

Lazy Rat said:
So would i use the fact that ## E_1 = \frac {3}{2} \hbar ω_0 ## which would give ## e^ \frac {- 3iω_0t}{2} ##
And ## E_3 = \frac {7}{2} \hbar ω_0 ## which would give ## e^ \frac {- 7iω_0t}{2} ##

Am I on the right track?

Yes.

Likes Lazy Rat

1. What is a harmonic well in relation to eigenfunction energy levels?

A harmonic well is a potential energy function that resembles a parabola. It is commonly used to model the behavior of a particle in a confined space, such as an atom or a molecule.

2. What are eigenfunction energy levels?

Eigenfunction energy levels are the allowed energy states of a particle in a harmonic well. These energy levels are quantized, meaning they can only take on certain discrete values.

3. How are eigenfunction energy levels calculated in a harmonic well?

The eigenfunction energy levels in a harmonic well can be calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum particles. The solutions to this equation are the eigenfunctions, and the corresponding energies are the eigenfunction energy levels.

4. What is the significance of eigenfunction energy levels in a harmonic well?

Eigenfunction energy levels in a harmonic well play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles at the atomic and molecular level. They determine the allowed energy states of particles and can provide insights into the stability and dynamics of these systems.

5. How do eigenfunction energy levels change in a non-harmonic potential?

In a non-harmonic potential, the eigenfunction energy levels can change significantly. This is because the potential energy function is no longer a simple parabola, so the solutions to the Schrödinger equation will be different. The energy levels may be closer together or further apart, and there may be additional energy levels present.